Port forwarding problem, can anyone help?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

StoveBacon
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC Xbox360 SNES N64
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Port forwarding problem, can anyone help?

Post by StoveBacon »

Recently, I have been trying to forward port 25565, but to no luck.
I have followed in great detail guides on forwarding, but when I check with port scanning things, its still closed.
I also tried bridging my modem and then forwarding the ports, but no luck there either.
Today I tried doing the online chat on Centurylinks website (my isp) and they immediately told me it had to be resolved over the phone, and they either have someone who doesn't speak English, or someone who isn't helpful and forwards me elsewhere until they tell me they can't help me.

I have:
router: Netgear WGR614 v7
modem: Centurylink 660 series Xyxel modem

Thank you!
SeaNanners wrote:"I shall be Vince Bonesteel and you will be....Rick McLightning!"
Day[9] wrote:"Read a book to children. Mass genocide. Lunch. The life of Dr. Seuss himself."
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Re: Port forwarding problem, can anyone help?

Post by Trask »

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101145.asp < Check this out, see if that helps. Also, it may be possible that your port is open, but your OS firewall is blocking it still, so you may want to check that out.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
StoveBacon
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by StoveBacon »

Thank you, but that didn't help.
I followed all the instructions on forwarding it, and I even tried turning my firewall off.
The port forward checker lists even port 80 as closed, so it must be something internal.
SeaNanners wrote:"I shall be Vince Bonesteel and you will be....Rick McLightning!"
Day[9] wrote:"Read a book to children. Mass genocide. Lunch. The life of Dr. Seuss himself."
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

portforward.com tell it your router brand and the game/prog you are trying to forward.

this is assuming your modem is in a 'pure-bridged' type of mode. it should be doing modulation and not packet inspection or portforwarding or anything like that.
check where the username and password is for your isp. if the username and pass is on the router, that is best. that means your router is doing authentication and the modem is essentially not doing anything from the security point of view.

if that doesnt work, (and remember to save and restart your router) then you need to look at firewall options in your software. windows firewall, norton, etc..
StoveBacon
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by StoveBacon »

Didn't work, I tried messing with the firewall settings and none of that worked. :(
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

KeithStoffel wrote:Didn't work, I tried messing with the firewall settings and none of that worked. :(
k1net1k wrote:this is assuming your modem is in a 'pure-bridged' type of mode.
Definitely check this out. I spent a good year off and on when I first started playing with my web server trying to get it to forward correctly and ultimately this was exactly the problem. Your modem needs to be acting as a pure bridge to your router, as many newer modems are actually modem/router combos with little to no options for configuring the routing functionality.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
StoveBacon
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by StoveBacon »

I wired my computer to my modem, and changed it from routing to bridge mode, if that is what you mean.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

KeithStoffel wrote:I wired my computer to my modem, and changed it from routing to bridge mode, if that is what you mean.
Wait.. how can you connect to the internet then? If your modem is in pure bridge mode that means it's no longer acting as a modem, so you need something between the bridge and your computer to act as a modem (namely your router).
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
StoveBacon
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by StoveBacon »

step 1: connect modem to computer
step 2: put it in bridge
step 3: no internet. plug modem back into router and connect router to computer
step 4: rage when port forwarding still doesn't work
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

ok if you bridge the modem the next device has to be able to authenticate.

if this is a router, then you will have a spot for PPP connection or whatever in its setup.
if its your PC, then you will have to add a connection (PPPoE) in network control panel area.

at least thats how it is here in Aus with DSL connections. not sure but i assume its the same for cable or whatever you guys have

if you end up with modem directly into PC, then your PC software is your only firewall (but it would help prove the firewall/portforward issue). I have always preferred to have an all in one device modem/router using hardware firewall, as opposed to windows firewall. you can also use a unix box as a dedicated firewall, but that would mean having an additional PC and i have no info on how to do this.
StoveBacon
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by StoveBacon »

Ok, I solved it.
Thank you everyone for the answers I really appreciate it.