How do you know who owns...

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

How do you know who owns...

Post by MadPumpkin »

How do you know who owns a book or writing? I'm particularly referring to Edgar Allan Poe, I need to know who owns his books, writings and poetry. I have no idea where to look I've checked in my collected works but can't really find the owner of the works themselves. Any help is much appreciated, thanks guys!
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: How do you know who owns...

Post by pritam »

You could ask the publisher, I'm not sure but they could have that information, it could be them or someone else.
wearymemory
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by wearymemory »

One may own a book just as one may own a painting. There are those who own the right to deem themselves the creator of a work of art, there are those who own the right to distribute said art, and there are those who own the right to display their decadence for fine art proudly. To put it differently, I own his work, and I will not allow you to retrieve my personal information from the publishers, nor will I ever allow you to pry the information of every scholarly person that has ever owned his work from their salivated fingers.
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

wearymemory wrote:One may own a book just as one may own a painting. There are those who own the right to deem themselves the creator of a work of art, there are those who own the right to distribute said art, and there are those who own the right to display their decadence for fine art proudly. To put it differently, I own his work, and I will not allow you to retrieve my personal information from the publishers, nor will I ever allow you to pry the information of every scholarly person that has ever owned his work from their salivated fingers.
I was referring to the rights :P.

And thanks Pritam I'll do it tomorrow. I'm almost positive that his works are now "Free game" as in that he's been dead for over 70 years and all of his works were published before 2002.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I'm fairly certain that nobody owns his "works." (unless you are talking about actual printed originals).

Nobody owns Bach, and nobody owns Mozart. These are considered "classics."
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

Check out copyright law. It says that 70 years after artist dies, his work is considered an achievement of civilization and is free for use by anyone.

PS: Needless to say, moral rights are kept forever. (You can't claim his work as your own or something like that :) )
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

cypher1554R wrote:Check out copyright law. It says that 70 years after artist dies, his work is considered an achievement of civilization and is free for use by anyone.

PS: Needless to say, moral rights are kept forever. (You can't claim his work as your own or something like that :) )
Damnit... Just about 30 years longer before we can use Rush in our Youtube videos AND still apply for Youtube partnership...
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

GyroVorbis wrote:
cypher1554R wrote:Check out copyright law. It says that 70 years after artist dies, his work is considered an achievement of civilization and is free for use by anyone.

Damnit... Just about 30 years longer before we can use Rush in our Youtube videos AND still apply for Youtube partnership...
Rush isn't dead yet..
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by MadPumpkin »

Yea I looked it up wasn't 100% positive if it applied with all the rest of that garbage it had me reading >.<. Thanks for confirming it.
dandymcgee wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
Rush isn't dead yet..
If you guys are still making videos like this in 30 years... Nah nevermind - Yes but I'm pretty sure that the label companies they were with only own their music for a certain amount of time, which isn't necessarily the same amount that applies to people being dead and what not.