My List Of Colleges I Will Apply To

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

My List Of Colleges I Will Apply To

Post by davidthefat »

Code: Select all

1) Caltech
2) MIT
3) Stanford
4) Harvey Mudd
5) USC
6) Georgia Tech
7) UCLA
8) UCI
9) Cal Poly Pomona
So this is my list of college I plan to apply to; I know it is a very competitive world out there, so I need to bust my ass this year. Last chance to get my grades up; 2 APs this year and 4 next year. This year I am taking: AP Physics and AP US History. Next year is: AP English, AP Calculus, AP Physics C, AP Computer Science C. I am aware that the AP Comp Sci C is not an actual class anymore; it would show up as a regular AP Comp Sci class on the transcript, but I will be learning the advanced materials apart from the rest of the class. I actually can do this because my teacher says I can do it. There probably will be a foot note or be on my supplementary application to indicate the situation.

Now you may ask why in the world I would post this; my sole reason is to tell the world. If the word is out, the chances of me actually committing to the goal goes up exponentially. My goal is to get all A's from now on and get 36 on the ACT, 2400 on the SAT and 800 on the various SAT IIs I will be taking.

Now to divert the attention from me: what was your list of colleges you applied to in Highschool?

I know I am getting into the Caltech class of 2016 ;)
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS

Re: My List Of Colleges I Will Apply To

Post by pritam »

The best of wishes to your college education.
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by davidthefat »

pritam wrote:The best of wishes to your college education.
Oh why thank you. Honestly is college as fun as it sounds? Caltech sounds like a load of fun to be honest. Even tons of work, the work itself sounds fun
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

davidthefat wrote:
pritam wrote:The best of wishes to your college education.
Oh why thank you. Honestly is college as fun as it sounds? Caltech sounds like a load of fun to be honest. Even tons of work, the work itself sounds fun
The school part is school.. same as always. Usually hard as fuck (depending on the class and your academic talent). But living on campus is a ton of fun.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

My school charged about 5$ per transcript after 3. =)

Therefore, I only applied to 3.
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by davidthefat »

Arce wrote:My school charged about 5$ per transcript after 3. =)

$5? I think it averages at $60 per school for me :x
Arce

Post by Arce »

davidthefat wrote:

No, my highschool charged 5$ to actually release a copy of your grades...

^ Was being sarcastic. ;p My options were limited to three for financial+military reasons.
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

Arce wrote:
davidthefat wrote:

^ Was being sarcastic. ;p My options were limited to three for financial+military reasons.
Are you working or planning on working for a defense contractor?
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by davidthefat »

Arce wrote:
davidthefat wrote:

Oh, I see. You know what? I don't even know if my parents can afford any colleges on my list... Well thats what scholarships are for right?
Arce

Post by Arce »

^ Aye. If you want in college, you can afford it--period.

My options were limited to "financial" reasons in the opposite end of the spectrum--staying in Alabama guaranteed me a full ride in Alabama for military reasons...Then, my scholarship was another full ride, plus even more in excess...That meant I could

1) Be paid more than I made working full-time to goto college

or

2) Go our of state, have no scholarship, and leave college in debt.

Well, my choice was obvious. ;p
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

davidthefat wrote: Oh, I see. You know what? I don't even know if my parents can afford any colleges on my list... Well thats what scholarships are for right?
You need not be worried about what your parents can afford.. worry about what you can afford. You can bet your ass you'll be the one paying the loans off later in life no matter how nice your parents are.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

Arce wrote:^ Aye. If you want in college, you can afford it--period.

My options were limited to "financial" reasons in the opposite end of the spectrum--staying in Alabama guaranteed me a full ride in Alabama for military reasons...Then, my scholarship was another full ride, plus even more in excess...That meant I could

1) Be paid more than I made working full-time to goto college

or

2) Go our of state, have no scholarship, and leave college in debt.

Well, my choice was obvious. ;p
Wow, that's rather nice compensation. Just confirming, did you mean through a defense contractor or is that through enlistment?

Unfortunately for me, Canada doesn't have the same kind of massive base of defense contractors as the US, and the ones that we do have are down east in Ontario and Quebec (I came from Alberta and moved to British Columbia). I'd considered doing something like that several times, but could never find anything. There are a lot of companies who have head offices or at least do software development here in Vancouver... back home in Edmonton it was a) be someone with years of job experience/education, b) work in the oil industry, or c) work in retail.

Both places do have multiple universities/institutions with good co-op programs though where you work a couple of 8-month fully paid work terms (and often get the opportunity to hire often afterwards).
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by davidthefat »

Well I assume I would be making 60-80k out of school if I apply at JPL, they always need more people. That can take a bout 4-5 years to pay off right?
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

davidthefat wrote:Well I assume I would be making 60-80k out of school if I apply at JPL, they always need more people. That can take a bout 4-5 years to pay off right?
Whoa there cowboy.

Let us look at this carefully.

Assuming you get into one of these schools (which more than likely will not happen), you'll be paying 40k a year in tuition, then housing, food, car, gas, car maintenance, and general expenses. thats thats probably another 20k a year.

So, assuming you actually finish your degree in 4 years, thats a nice little total of (40k+20k)*4 = 240k, assuming that inflation does not rape you, which if you know anything about economics is right around the corner for the US. But lets be optimistic, since it seems you have already taken this route.

Now, lest not forget that this loan accrues some interest.. I think they are about 10%.

Lets also assume that you wont have to pay off the loan till after graduation, and lets also assume that in the 4 years, the interest is not ran or compounded(which it is if i recall).

Also assuming that the interest rate does not change, which it almost always does. you will be looking at a 5099 odd dollar a MONTH payment, to get rid of the loan in 5 years. not likely.

Also, assuming you make it into one of these schools, get the degree and get the job, you will NOT be making 80k, probably 50k, if you are lucky. after taxes, you are looking at 30k.

I would love to see you pay of loans, pay rent/mortgage, food and so on, with that..

I think you might want to re evaluate your situation.

I know people in the late 30's still paying off ivey league loans.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by davidthefat »

avansc wrote:
davidthefat wrote:Well I assume I would be making 60-80k out of school if I apply at JPL, they always need more people. That can take a bout 4-5 years to pay off right?
Whoa there cowboy.

Let us look at this carefully.

Assuming you get into one of these schools (which more than likely will not happen), you'll be paying 40k a year in tuition, then housing, food, car, gas, car maintenance, and general expenses. thats thats probably another 20k a year.

So, assuming you actually finish your degree in 4 years, thats a nice little total of (40k+20k)*4 = 240k, assuming that inflation does not rape you, which if you know anything about economics is right around the corner for the US. But lets be optimistic, since it seems you have already taken this route.

Now, lest not forget that this loan accrues some interest.. I think they are about 10%.

Lets also assume that you wont have to pay off the loan till after graduation, and lets also assume that in the 4 years, the interest is not ran or compounded(which it is if i recall).

Also assuming that the interest rate does not change, which it almost always does. you will be looking at a 5099 odd dollar a MONTH payment, to get rid of the loan in 5 years. not likely.

Also, assuming you make it into one of these schools, get the degree and get the job, you will NOT be making 80k, probably 50k, if you are lucky. after taxes, you are looking at 30k.

I would love to see you pay of loans, pay rent/mortgage, food and so on, with that..

I think you might want to re evaluate your situation.

I know people in the late 30's still paying off ivey league loans.
:shock: Oh darn, I think I know what kind of company to establish is I want to get money... Student loan companies... They sound extremely like loan sharks to me right now after your post. Well so I would rather go for scholarships than lots of loans now. So I guess my plans of international abroad studies in college will just pack onto my debt. Also I heard credit card companies just hunt down those college students so they get too much debt to pay off after college