who thinks there should be a game dev tutorial or help?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

cocopuffs
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

who thinks there should be a game dev tutorial or help?

Post by cocopuffs »

i new here but from what iv seen(not much lol) but there isnt a a tutorial or anything like that here
you guys should make a tutorial or a workshop where one of them (preferably falco :worship: ) lol

who thinks so?
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Re: who thinks there should be a game dev tutorial or help?

Post by XianForce »

That was very inspecific.

Falco has some getting started tutorials, and there are two other tutorials posted (with more to be expected), there are tutorials all around the net for various subjects and topics, and when something is confusing, you can ask a question here.

I may be misinterpreting what your saying, but it sounds like your not utilizing the resources already available to you.
cocopuffs
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by cocopuffs »

XianForce wrote:That was very inspecific.

Falco has some getting started tutorials, and there are two other tutorials posted (with more to be expected), there are tutorials all around the net for various subjects and topics, and when something is confusing, you can ask a question here.

I may be misinterpreting what your saying, but it sounds like your not utilizing the resources already available to you.

well what i mean is that i have used tutorials online and stuff and yea there nice but not what i mean by it i mean something that they would post up once every 2 weeks or so or a month and it be like a workshop like they would tell us what to do as a project and we would have some sort of time line ex. due in a week 2 weeks month months or so and at the end of the month a group of ppl would here on the fourms or everyone here would vote on maybe 30 examples and then the shadows team would pick 3 and give one some sort of prize or wisdom lol idk anything like that or it can just be a workshop to help other ppl cuz some time tutorials just dont cut it i mean there nice cuz they teach you but its not the same as a workshope where its like a class and everyone can learn from each other u kno what i mean?

that would be really nice
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Well I know what you mean, but to be honest, I'd rather them spend time on ES, rather than trying to host something such as that.

They are all busy people, it's not smart to load up with another commitment like that.

And I also, personally, believe that it is a bad way to learn. You have to learn at your own pace, and use what you can to motivate you.
Randi
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Randi »

why don't you do lusikkamage's competition? I find the best way to learn is by doing projects, for example if you're bad with reading/writing text to a file, make a hangman game that gets the words to be used from a file.
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

See this: http://thechaosrift.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5009 A newsletter is getting assembled, wich might contain something like that.
Image ImageImage Image
cocopuffs
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by cocopuffs »

XianForce wrote:Well I know what you mean, but to be honest, I'd rather them spend time on ES, rather than trying to host something such as that.

They are all busy people, it's not smart to load up with another commitment like that.

And I also, personally, believe that it is a bad way to learn. You have to learn at your own pace, and use what you can to motivate you.
well its not like they have to do it they can assign someone to do such thing.

and i see what your saying but the thing is if it was a bad way to do it colleges and high schools and all types of schools would tell poeple heres a book thanks for pay for your classes now go learn at your pace lol, its not that way tho its more of you start off, they teach you basic things, and then if you need help then you ask them (a.k.a teacher). i kno a lot colleges and trade schools or technical make you go at your own pace but they still keep you in a certain loop of if you stay to far back they say ill help you catch up, and if you take some sort of workshop like i mentioned you shouldnt have to much problem with motivation cuz if you like c++ or some other language then bein in a workshop that is about that language then it wouldnt be as bad cuz if your motivated enough to join then you would be right on top of it and not have to much trouble, and its not like there forcing you so you could join or take tutorials and do anything else to try and learn your self and truly go at your own pace or join and make it a challange as well as easy ( cuz if you needed help then there it is(even tho you could go to any fourm and ask for help and use to turials as a guide but i think teaching and reading tutorials r diff. u kno what i mean?

personly i think people learn more with a teacher than learning by them self and getting stuck on something (like me -_-") i need help on making sub menus for sub menus lol but i kno that if i had a teacher to teach me i wouldve had no problem than trying to figure it my self with tutrials

sry if i sounded like a dick its just what i think
no disrispect lol :p :mrgreen:
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

cocopuffs wrote: personly i think people learn more with a teacher than learning by them self and getting stuck on something (like me -_-")
That is a very subjective opinion and has no bearing on this discussion. Like Xian and others have said, use the searchbar on this forum and you will find plenty of resources. Falco has already made a few educational videos and there may even be more coming. Also the newsletter is looking to be a very valuable resource once it comes out.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Not to mention Gyro has said that he would like to have tutorials on the new site... too bad that is apparently going to be a loooong time...

Why is that falco, no site developers currently?
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by davidthefat »

http://www.moosader.com/tutorials.html

Those tutorials are helpful :lol: ;) Hai Moosader
cocopuffs
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by cocopuffs »

eatcomics wrote:Not to mention Gyro has said that he would like to have tutorials on the new site... too bad that is apparently going to be a loooong time...

hopefully its some time soon lol
cocopuffs
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by cocopuffs »

Randi wrote:why don't you do lusikkamage's competition? I find the best way to learn is by doing projects, for example if you're bad with reading/writing text to a file, make a hangman game that gets the words to be used from a file.
well thats kind of what i mean or they could pick someone out(es team), and let them do workshops here and post them on youtube or so.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

cocopuffs wrote:
eatcomics wrote:Not to mention Gyro has said that he would like to have tutorials on the new site... too bad that is apparently going to be a loooong time...

hopefully its some time soon lol
from what Gyro has said it sounds like it will be a LOOONG time lol