Netbeans a all in one solution

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

dejai
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Netbeans a all in one solution

Post by dejai »

Eclipse rings bells as soon as you hear the words, "an all in one IDE solution". A more hardened programmer would possibly laugh at the idea of an IDE and possibly even at the idea of a debugger however this is certainly not the case for all programming experts. However now sun Microsystems has come out with a lovely little program called NetBeans. Don't let the name confuse you a little look on slashdot found this engine. Its licensed under one of the open source licenses and I have just installed it on windows and its now capable of java, c++, php and xml. Anyway the IDE does not really make much of a difference, linus programmed most of the kernel with GCC and a little text editor called MG. My question to you is what IDEs do you use and why? And what do you think of this one?
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Netbeans a all in one solution

Post by Falco Girgis »

That sounds pretty cool, but I only really need C/++. I learned Java in school, but I really don't have a use for it. I use XML at work, but they wouldn't let me install this. Hopefully I won't be doing PHP either, that's why we have web developers.

I use Visual Studio. I'm sure you aren't a huge fan of it, haha.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

I use Code::Blocks. I used to use Dev-C++, but for some reason I like Code::Blocks more. It all boils down to personal preference I suppose.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

I used Code::Blocks but I couldn't get it to stop crashing, so I went back to visual studio. And I have to use VS2008 professionally now, so...
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

I used Code::Blocks but I couldn't get it to stop crashing, so I went back to visual studio. And I have to use VS2008 professionally now, so...
Strange.. similar to Lusikka's reasoning for no longer using Dev-C++. I've never had either crash on me, maybe what I'm doing isn't quite as intensive as what the two of you do?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

I use Geany. It's the best IDE I've ever used, at least for what I actually care about. Very lightweight.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
dejai
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by dejai »

Gyrovorbis I congratulate you for reading one of my rants. Anyway I usually use code blocks, I don't use dev C++ as I think they have stop development and it doesn't provide for all my needs... And Netbeans seems like the general direction I want to be heading in. I also want to do some mg / gcc projects to get a better idea of how to compile using gcc but we may as well use the best tools available to us :D
ansatsusha_gouki
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by ansatsusha_gouki »

for c++ i use dev c++ but been using visual studio 2008 lately

for java i mostly use netbeans its much better than jgrasp :mrgreen: