Do American 2d RPG game companies exist?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Elliotpwnz
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Do American 2d RPG game companies exist?

Post by Elliotpwnz »

I am currently studying c++ and I am really hoping and striving to be a game programmer when I grow up. Even though I have no right to be talking about things that I can't even create, I wonder if there are many 2d rpg developing companies in america. What I mean is, most of our 2d rpgs come from Japan (chrono trigger, final fantasy, pokemon), and sadly, that is the style of games I would want to create the most. I've never been into fps games, but have always been fascinated with rpgs. While starting your own company sounds like the only option, it seems to me like it would be too risky, especially for a newer game developer. My whole point is, to all those who love rpgs, becoming a game programmer and finding a good job would be 10 times easier if you lived in Japan =/
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Do American 2d RPG game companies exist?

Post by davidthefat »

Dragon age: Origins is by Bioware, and As far as I know they are not japanese... any ways, they all have a american department, in fact the square enix america offices is only 30 minutes away from my house.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

Elliotpwnz wrote:it seems to me like it would be too risky, especially for a newer game developer
The real risky part would be restricting yourself to one genre. Just because you want to make RPGs doesnt mean that your company needs to develop ONLY RPGs. Game developers should be encouraged to explore all different types of games so that ultimately you can create something new and enjoyable.

Oh...and Elysian Shadows is based out of America :)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Wii

Post by Lord Pingas »

Now I'm wondering if there is any company in the UK (Well the England part) that does RPGs.
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

I can see the interesting part in making a game you would like to play yourself, but from a programming perspective, the funniest game might not have been the most interesting to create.
Forexample, i can imagine that Spore was very fun to create, even though the game wasent that good (atleat i dident think so)
I am NOT talking from experince here. I have never really finished a game wich wasent just some kind of tech demo, and i have certianly never worked in the industri, this is just what i think ;)
Image ImageImage Image
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

Yeah, you're not going to find a studio that does only one genre, unless they're a really small group and just starting out. Companies do various types of projects, though their best sellers might be one genre, but that doesn't mean they don't do or work on other types of games as well.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
ivan
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by ivan »

dude you sound pretty young.
If you're about 13 now,by the time you're like 24 high funded 2d games will be a thing of the past. I really doubt that you will be developing in 2d if you're going to go into such a competitive business.
Elliotpwnz
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Elliotpwnz »

well, I'm 16 so yeah I do understand that by the time I get out of college graphics will be of much more importance. I just hope there will be companies out there that actually produce games we would enjoy making. I mean, other than Bioware and Bethesda, we really don't make too many rpgs. I'm fine with making other genre games, I just hope that getting into the game industry doesn't force me into making only fps games, because they are so popular.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

ivan wrote:dude you sound pretty young.
If you're about 13 now,by the time you're like 24 high funded 2d games will be a thing of the past. I really doubt that you will be developing in 2d if you're going to go into such a competitive business.
I think this is bullshit. There are tons of "fun" 2D games that come out today--especially in the mobile market. Look at the DS, PSP, iPhone, and Xbox Live Arcade. Look at games like Little Big Planet.

They aren't going to be extremely mainstream, but there are still plenty of enjoyable ones coming out today. Some gameplay mechanics are just better in 2D.

If he's an independent developer (or small business owner), there's no reason that he can't make a great 2D game that appeals to lots of people.
Master Jake
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Master Jake »

I'm agreeing with Falco 100% on this. Plus, I love 2D games (especially 2D RPGs; I love them MUCH more than 3D RPGs). I honestly doubt 2D will ever go "out of style."
WSPSNIPER
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: top down shooter
Favorite Gaming Platforms: ps3
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by WSPSNIPER »

I also agree 2d is never going away ... It better not
OmegaGDS
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: GMN (C++)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, PSP / Psp Emulation, GameCube, SNES, NES

Post by OmegaGDS »

I play 2d games ALL THE TIME! My favorites are RPG's. I will cry if/when 2d games go away...
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by RyanPridgeon »

Lord Pingas wrote:Now I'm wondering if there is any company in the UK (Well the England part) that does RPGs.
Lionhead Studios, of Fable fame, are based in the UK. In fact, they even sponsored a 16-18 programming competition which I entered and have yet to hear back from, and their office is in a city which I may be moving to next year :)
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by GroundUpEngine »

RyanPridgeon wrote:
Lord Pingas wrote:Now I'm wondering if there is any company in the UK (Well the England part) that does RPGs.
Lionhead Studios, of Fable fame, are based in the UK. In fact, they even sponsored a 16-18 programming competition which I entered and have yet to hear back from, and their office is in a city which I may be moving to next year :)
That sounds pretty sweet! ;)
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Wii

Post by Lord Pingas »

GroundUpEngine wrote:
RyanPridgeon wrote:
That sounds pretty sweet! ;)
I'll definitely attend this when I'm 16. By then I'll be more experienced. ;)

Wait, was this like an expo, or was it just a one time thing?