PC Hardware Question

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Kanoba Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

PC Hardware Question

Post by JaxDragon »

Right now I have an integrated GFX card. I am planning on purchasing an actual card that is actually somewhat decent. What I am wondering is, is there anything special I have to do after I install it? I'm not sure if I have to define in windows which graphics card to use, or if it's automatically detected.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Re: PC Hardware Question

Post by Trask »

First, make sure that you get a card that fits your PC. There are 2 main types of video card slots, AGP(dated), PCI-E(most current PCs of the last 3 years have them). After you install the card and boot up your PC for the first time, Windows will throw in some default VGA drivers to get you started, then you should go to the maker's site and download the latest video drivers. Other than that, you should be good to go once you fine tune your resolution etc....
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by JaxDragon »

Trask wrote:First, make sure that you get a card that fits your PC. There are 2 main types of video card slots, AGP(dated), PCI-E(most current PCs of the last 3 years have them). After you install the card and boot up your PC for the first time, Windows will throw in some default VGA drivers to get you started, then you should go to the maker's site and download the latest video drivers. Other than that, you should be good to go once you fine tune your resolution etc....
Yeh i already checked the requirements. Gt 220 FTW
zNelson24
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: School assignments.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C#, BASIC

Post by zNelson24 »

I'm not sure if you have to do that for your PC or not, but you might have to configure your BIOS to use the card instead of the intergrated graphics (I had a similar thing on my board).
-zNelson24

JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by JaxDragon »

zNelson24 wrote:I'm not sure if you have to do that for your PC or not, but you might have to configure your BIOS to use the card instead of the intergrated graphics (I had a similar thing on my board).
Thats fine. I know enough about the BIOS to know what things mean/are and how to change them. I noticed the GFX chipset option, didn't know if it would automatically detect the new card or not.