Bop N' Pop! 360 Edition

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: www.keedepictions.com/Pewpew/
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Bop N' Pop! 360 Edition

Post by Maevik »

aamesxdavid wrote:
Maevik wrote:Awesome! As a color blind gamer I can't tell you how cool it is to see that you now have art to easily distinguish the pieces other than their hue. I'm usually SOL when it comes to puzzle games, and that just sucks! We make up nearly a third of the male population (which, lets face it, is a vast majority of the gamer population) and yet people still seldom take them into account when building their games.

Anyway, I can't wait to buy the game :D
I think most games have at least some other difference in pieces aside from color to distinguish them. trufun for example has different expressions on the faces for different colors. It's probably not as immediate a difference to notice, but it's something.

It looks awesome, can't wait to get it on Xbox!
Some of them try yes, but they are often pretty vague. Best example I can think of is NeoGeo's "Bust-a-Move" where they put little critters in the baubles to help distinguish them, but they are so subtle that it's almost easier to just have a friend next to me telling me what colors some things are.

Even a lot of extremely popular puzzle game such as "Puzzle Fighter" don't even try. I get giddy when I see some bold identification on pieces like Tru's Bop n' Pop
My love is like a Haddoken, it's downright fierce!
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

Maevik wrote:Awesome! As a color blind gamer I can't tell you how cool it is to see that you now have art to easily distinguish the pieces other than their hue. I'm usually SOL when it comes to puzzle games, and that just sucks! We make up nearly a third of the male population (which, lets face it, is a vast majority of the gamer population) and yet people still seldom take them into account when building their games.

Anyway, I can't wait to buy the game :D
Ya know, I didn't plan on that going in, but I did honestly think about it working well for color blind gamers, once I got the graphics back from the artist. My dad was color blind, and I remember there were some games where he couldn't tell what was what. I wasn't sure how different the faces would be, but it looks like they're going to work pretty well.

Thanks for the feedback!
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Hey, Trufun, I'm not really sure how the whole XNA thing goes. Do we have to be XNA members/developers?

Kendall and I are definitely going to be buying Bop N' Pop, but I was wondering how we would go about it.
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

I think we can just download it from xbox live, in the community section, i've downloaded demos before.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Yeah, xbox live arcade -> community.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

GyroVorbis wrote:Hey, Trufun, I'm not really sure how the whole XNA thing goes. Do we have to be XNA members/developers?

Kendall and I are definitely going to be buying Bop N' Pop, but I was wondering how we would go about it.
Yep, what they said. There's a "Community Games" section on Xbox Live. I do believe you have to be a Xbox Live Gold member tho...

There will be a free trial and the game will probably go for 200 pts - which is as cheap as I can make it! XD
-Chris

MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

trufun202 wrote: Yep, what they said. There's a "Community Games" section on Xbox Live. I do believe you have to be a Xbox Live Gold member tho...
I don't think so. The whole point of silver is to let you spend money. Gold is to play against other people.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
rolland
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Starting an Android app soon
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1, N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by rolland »

MarauderIIC wrote:
trufun202 wrote: Yep, what they said. There's a "Community Games" section on Xbox Live. I do believe you have to be a Xbox Live Gold member tho...
I don't think so. The whole point of silver is to let you spend money. Gold is to play against other people.
Yeah, I can't see MS stopping people from spending money for any reason. They might just charge us more. :mrgreen:
I'll write a signature once I get some creativity and inspiration...
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

The game was officially submitted for Playtesting today. That means that other XNA developers have an opportunity to test the game and give their feedback before I submit it for final approval. It'll be in Playtesting until next Sunday, then hopefully I can make some tweaks and get this thang released! :mrgreen:
-Chris

trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

Man, these are some picky bastards. :P

It's been a day and I have a list of 20 or 30 things to "fix." I'm mainly just going to focus on the show-stoppers tho, the things that would get me an immediate rejection from the Xbox Marketplace. (like allowing Player 1 to use the third controller if they want...right now I'm forcing Player 1 to use the first controller - who knew that'd be such an issue???)

If they're bitching about the core gameplay, they can suck it. Bop N' Pop has 10 years of proven history! (sorta.) ;)
-Chris

eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Hmmmmmmm........ What's wrong with p1 using p3's controller, what if p3's controller is closer to p1 than p1's controller is...??? What you gonna do now, lose to p2???? I think not my good friend, I think not.... :lol: ;) but keep up the good work xD
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

trufun202 wrote:Man, these are some picky bastards. :P

It's been a day and I have a list of 20 or 30 things to "fix." I'm mainly just going to focus on the show-stoppers tho, the things that would get me an immediate rejection from the Xbox Marketplace. (like allowing Player 1 to use the third controller if they want...right now I'm forcing Player 1 to use the first controller - who knew that'd be such an issue???)

If they're bitching about the core gameplay, they can suck it. Bop N' Pop has 10 years of proven history! (sorta.) ;)
That's really bitchy of them.

I'm not so sure that I would be as patient as you. Especially with so many absolute shit XNA games, I might get a bad case of "who the hell are they to try and tell me how to do my game? LOOK AT THE GAMES THEY LET THROUGH."

You are a good man. Oh, and the news system is ready for you.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

Well crap. I WAS getting close to approval. I think I was at like 43% - but that was just for English. People were bitching about the other languages because some of the graphics (like "Victory" and "Defeat") weren't translated. (which, for the record, I've played plenty of "translated" games that still have graphics with Japanese characters here and there - but oh wellz)

Screw that. I took the game down and I'll strip out the other languages tonight and resubmit. It's not worth it - I need to get back on some Golvellius! ;)

This sets me back another week, but will probably get the game approved quicker in the long run.
-Chris

JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

That's lame... but getting back to work on Golvellius is not! *whip cracking sounds*
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

trufun202 wrote:Well crap. I WAS getting close to approval. I think I was at like 43% - but that was just for English. People were bitching about the other languages because some of the graphics (like "Victory" and "Defeat") weren't translated. (which, for the record, I've played plenty of "translated" games that still have graphics with Japanese characters here and there - but oh wellz)

Screw that. I took the game down and I'll strip out the other languages tonight and resubmit. It's not worth it - I need to get back on some Golvellius! ;)

This sets me back another week, but will probably get the game approved quicker in the long run.
Jesus Christ. No offense to you, because what you're doing (having a game published) is amazing, but the more I hear, the more I don't think that I will go the route of XNA ... ever.