Oh god...

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Oh god...

Post by Falco Girgis »

I can hear the engineers two cubicles down playing "The Adventures in Game Development Chapter 8" and laughing at our Rock Band performance.

..never tell anybody at work that you're on Youtube. The worst part is that now they know I can actually code. I can't play ignorant anymore. XD
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Re: Oh god...

Post by trufun202 »

GyroVorbis wrote:..never tell anybody at work that you're on Youtube. The worst part is that now they know I can actually code. I can't play ignorant anymore. XD
Dude, I say that's a good thing. At my work, interns and contractors get treated like shit (for the most part) until they've proven themselves and been able to stand out among the rest.

Show 'em up, son!

And yes, showing my youtube channel to co-workers has had both positive and negative side-effects. :P
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Ewan
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Ewan »

GyroVorbis wrote:I can hear the engineers two cubicles down playing "The Adventures in Game Development Chapter 8" and laughing at our Rock Band performance.

..never tell anybody at work that you're on Youtube. The worst part is that now they know I can actually code. I can't play ignorant anymore. XD
Lmao, fame catching up with you Falco?
They pull out the truncheon, that's when the trouble starts.

'Cause when you've got a badge, the laws don't apply.
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

I know how that feels, when people you know discover you use YouTube...

I used to do some incredibly ridiculous vlogs about silly things (I was more of a people's blogger than a programmer back then) and someone I know (a complete and utter wind-up merchant) found a video I made, and believe me, he had a lot of fun with it for weeks.

I got told that he was going to make a compilation of all of my 'best' bits and he kept asking me to sing 'Chocolate Rain', clever I know :lol:

But here's where things your videos differ, you do some damn impressive stuff on those videos, and over 1000 people are tuning in to see, hell if these guys didn't take you seriously as a competent programmer/project manager for that matter, then I would have seriously doubts about their judge of character.

The only downside is, not only will people be commenting on how long it's been since you made a video (this is hypothetical of course, considering you you made one recently), you'll get it at work too! :lol:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

GyroVorbis wrote:I can hear the engineers two cubicles down playing "The Adventures in Game Development Chapter 8" and laughing at our Rock Band performance.

That's nothing, I've linked one of your videos to the newsgroups here, so people at Harmonix were probably laughing at your Rock Band performance. :lol:

Actually, I think it was the donations video of you singing Aladdin, because the day that went up there was a similar video someone linked to. Even better.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

.... well goddamn. XD

Yeah, I would guess that you guys would definitely appreciate how we have encorporated Rock Band into the series.
Ewan
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Ewan »

GyroVorbis wrote:.... well goddamn. XD

Yeah, I would guess that you guys would definitely appreciate how we have encorporated Rock Band into the series.
Yeah man. Less of that game you keep going on about, more singing More Than A Feeling whilst drunk :mrgreen:
They pull out the truncheon, that's when the trouble starts.

'Cause when you've got a badge, the laws don't apply.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

GyroVorbis wrote:Yeah, I would guess that you guys would definitely appreciate how we have encorporated Rock Band into the series.
I smell a sponsorship opportunity!
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

trufun202 wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:Yeah, I would guess that you guys would definitely appreciate how we have encorporated Rock Band into the series.
I'll get you guys a copy of The Beatles: RB signed by the audio team with "We <3 Elysian Shadows!" written on the cover, how's that?
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

aamesxdavid wrote:
trufun202 wrote:
I'll get you guys a copy of The Beatles: RB signed by the audio team with "We <3 Elysian Shadows!" written on the cover, how's that?
Oh my god, I would love you guys forever! What an honor!
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

Off the subject of rock band...
People I know discovering that I'm on youtube is one of the main reasons that I'm not putting videos up because.
I'll make your software hardware.
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

thejahooli wrote:Off the subject of rock band...
People I know discovering that I'm on youtube is one of the main reasons that I'm not putting videos up because.
Don't let that discourage you, stick one up there!

But make sure that it's worth some credit, if you've made something you deem as video-worthy, screen cam it and narrate the video if you're a bit camera shy.

Nobody ever gets anywhere by not doing, being proactive is probably one of the best things you can do.

After Rewatching all of the AiGD yesterday while I was surprised to hear that the team didn't really think the series would take off, and that it was more of a log for themselves, it just goes to show that because they made the effort to record their project, they recieved much more interest than they anticipated, if they just decided to make a game, launch a website full of concept art, and not show us their WIP, would we all be here? probably not, because most of us wouldn't be aware of ES and the effort that goes into the engine behind the game.

So, very long story short, if you want to make videos, make videos! ;)
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

programmerinprogress wrote:
thejahooli wrote:Off the subject of rock band...
Don't let that discourage you, stick one up there!

But make sure that it's worth some credit, if you've made something you deem as video-worthy, screen cam it and narrate the video if you're a bit camera shy.

Nobody ever gets anywhere by not doing, being proactive is probably one of the best things you can do.

After Rewatching all of the AiGD yesterday while I was surprised to hear that the team didn't really think the series would take off, and that it was more of a log for themselves, it just goes to show that because they made the effort to record their project, they recieved much more interest than they anticipated, if they just decided to make a game, launch a website full of concept art, and not show us their WIP, would we all be here? probably not, because most of us wouldn't be aware of ES and the effort that goes into the engine behind the game.

So, very long story short, if you want to make videos, make videos! ;)
We need a post rating system so I can give you a *thumbs up*. ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Kros
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: N/A
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Playstation/2/3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Kros »

aamesxdavid wrote:
trufun202 wrote:
I am so jealous right now.
Isaac Asimov wrote:Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
YouTube Channel