Lua, how many of you know it?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

danR369
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Lua, how many of you know it?

Post by danR369 »

How many people people on here actual know Lua on Here? Me, i know most of Lua But the Real advanced things like metamethods & properly faking OOP (or OO watever you like 2 say) & classes in Lua is something that i don't currently need right now. :mrgreen: Everyone on here will not know Me but i make homebrew games using Lua For the PSP & am currently making a simple platformer :)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Lua, how many of you know it?

Post by Falco Girgis »

Hey. I know that there's me, Orgodemir-K, trufun202, and at least a few other programmers around here that know/use Lua.

As for faking the OO, yeah, I hear ya. That and it's kind of a pain in the ass. Most of us (or all of us, now that I think about it) use either LuaBind or toLua with our Lua implementations. Both of these libraries give Lua real OO capabilities, so it's really not a hassle at all.
jesterguy
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by jesterguy »

I only know basic stuff so far but I'm learning lua and OpenGL at the same time right now, I know falco and trufun use it and I'm sure some others around here. Theirs actually a few recent topics on it in the programming discussion.

edit:
O falco beat me to it :cry:
I will live forever or die trying.

"Human beings didn't evolve brains in order to lie around on lakes. Killing's the first thing we learned. And a good thing we did, or we'd be dead, and the tigers would own the earth."
- Valentine to Ender ("Ender's Game")
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Haha. Yeah, Lua is pretty popular around these parts. It's sort of like the drug of our developers. You might as well join us, because all the cool kids are doing it.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
danR369
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by danR369 »

GyroVorbis wrote:Haha. Yeah, Lua is pretty popular around these parts. It's sort of like the drug of our developers. You might as well join us, because all the cool kids are doing it.
Lol, nice way to describe Lua. The API for PSP though is very Crap. Seriously Its crap Mainly because of Hardware issues but there is also a limit coding wise. But theres a new API out witch i think is about 30-40% faster. Faking Classes is also crap. I haven't found a good use for that yet eithier, Its alot more popular than i thought. Anyone tried LÖVE? Really good, i recommend it for deving with Lua on PC. Me personally learn a language & API at the same time though.
sparda
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by sparda »

Now that you mention it I was reading the Lua manual not so long ago. Got pretty far but I completely forgot about it. I've been busy trying to learn SDL in my free time, but this goddamn advanced calculus course is killing me. The beginnings of Calculus are interesting (and useful), but unless you're doing advance 3D engine programming, who the hell needs to know about, say, the Jacobian of a C-1 transformation? Albeit, I'll admit vector calculus is pretty sweet. Fuck, I'll just have to adapt into liking the former eventually. Woops, better get back to work now :mrgreen:
danR369
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by danR369 »

Well thats only 4 topics, Does anyone know any good Lua Books? I have read the manual, & Programming in Lua First edition, anything else to read??
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

As of last weekend, I "know" lua. ;P

Syntax is very easy to pick-up. When you come across a time when you need more specifics, consult the documentation--otherwise, I really wouldn't say a book is necessary.

Unless, of course, this is your first language. Then you're going to have a harder time.
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
unholysavagery
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by unholysavagery »

I am using lua for a game engine I'm making and I like it!
This is the internet, men are men, women are men and children are the FBI.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

unholysavagery wrote:I am using lua for a game engine I'm making and I like it!
Oh, you're going to fit right in on these boards then... welcome to the cult.
danR369
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by danR369 »

Arce wrote:As of last weekend, I "know" lua. ;P

Syntax is very easy to pick-up. When you come across a time when you need more specifics, consult the documentation--otherwise, I really wouldn't say a book is necessary.

Unless, of course, this is your first language. Then you're going to have a harder time.
Well its just good to have one instead of always going on the net & reading that way. I'd prefere a book.
Orgodemirk
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Orgodemirk »

I am the main Lua scripter for the game, so I'm afraid I do know it.

Marcel, you do know Lua, but seriously, clean up your style. You're the only person who's managed to make Lua look ugly.
A glitch?
danR369
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by danR369 »

Orgodemir-k wrote:I am the main Lua scripter for the game, so I'm afraid I do know it.

Marcel, you do know Lua, but seriously, clean up your style. You're the only person who's managed to make Lua look ugly.
Peter, right? Yeah you've done some nice things in Lua, i like your 'fake battlesystem' i wrote my own turn-based battlesystem for PSP, you press X next turn, it isn't nothing fancy but it was only 4kb.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Orgodemir-k wrote:I am the main Lua scripter for the game, so I'm afraid I do know it.

^Classic Marcel :P jk I wouldn't know :lol: