In Need of Microsoft Visual Studio

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Yikarso
ES Graphics Artist
ES Graphics Artist

In Need of Microsoft Visual Studio

Post by Yikarso »

Well I've officially started programming in SDL. However, it's not going anywhere because Dev is mvs's retarded little brother and I can't get anything to run. Anyone know where I can get a download of MVS?

Hey this is my first post. Go me! :spin:
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Are you reffering to DevC++? If so then you not being able to get anything to run is your fault.. not the compiler's. I can work with SDL perfectly with DevC++.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

Don't listen to JSL, Dev's a lot harder to get SDL working on than Visual C++. I believe M$ has a free beta download on their site somewhere. A fancy google should pop it up.
There is no signature.

Post by Guest »

It's really not hard to set up in either, but go with Visual C++. You can get a trial somewhere.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

DevC++ is free and lasts forever. No stupid 30 day trial. Seriously, they both work fine, there is no big difference with SDL working or not. You just need to learn how to set it up.

Post by Guest »

I wonder why it's free... :roll:

I'm a VC++ loyalist. :)
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

JS Lemming wrote:DevC++ is free and lasts forever. No stupid 30 day trial. Seriously, they both work fine, there is no big difference with SDL working or not. You just need to learn how to set it up.
Yeah...Dev-C++ also has limited functionality, a lot unfriendlier tabbing (which is a big deal) a lot less friendly of a UI and basically just a very unprofessional setup. Trust me, I've used both, and so have millions of others. You don't see big businesses using Dev for all their programming needs. Ever wonder why?
There is no signature.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Ok, let me put it this way. DevC++ = Free. MVC++ = expensive. You do the math and decide if your willing to pay.
Yikarso
ES Graphics Artist
ES Graphics Artist

Post by Yikarso »

Thanks for the information, all of you. I'll look where you guys suggested. JS Lemming, if you can tell me how to set it up with Dev, then by all means, do. None of the tutorials I have followed have worked for me. I may be forced back to Dev in 30 days if I can only find a trial of mvs, so the information would be useful.
Yikarso
ES Graphics Artist
ES Graphics Artist

Post by Yikarso »

Found the beta and activated it so it's not a 30 day trial anymore (leave it to MS to make you register to their silly websites before you can use their free stuff without worrying about it dieing on you). Thanks for tellin' me about the beta, Chris. Soon I'll be able to join The Chaos Rift programming team.

I think this is a good time for a woot. Woot. You know, I almost didn't do it, I thought, "Is this in bad taste?" but I went for it, and you know what, I'm so glad I did.

Oh, and I feel the need to defend my dignity as a computer user. It's not that I found it incredibly hard to set up SDL in dev. I really only used 2 outdated tutorials that apparently didn't apply to the version of Dev I use. I just didn't care enough to look into it very much. I wanted msvc++ so all other compilers seemed to lose their importance.

Alright, enough rambling. I bid you all good day, except for you JS Lemming. I just can't bid Fred Savage(is that who it is?) good day. I am sorry. :|
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Yikarso wrote:Alright, enough rambling. I bid you all good day, except for you JS Lemming. I just can't bid Fred Savage(is that who it is?) good day. I am sorry. :|
BAG!!! Fred Savage? Where the heck did you come up with that one? And excuse me for trying to keep the peeps from having money woes.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

:guffaw:
FredDibnah
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by FredDibnah »

What the... O.o Isn't Fred Savage that kid from Boy Meets World? :guffaw:
Yikarso
ES Graphics Artist
ES Graphics Artist

Curses!

Post by Yikarso »

False alarm. It seems the beta does not offer sdl support. You see, I go to the VC++ Directories menu and it has the 2 drop down menus (platform and show directories for) but nothing else. I've tried changing the platform (well..the only option is win32) and what directories to show but I never get any new options. Way to go Microsoft! :asshole:

If I am, for whatever reason, missing something that could help make this work, please tell me.
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

Just get VC++ from Gyro. I'm sure he has a copy. But just so you know, setting up an SDL project isn't anywhere in any menu--it takes a lot of manual configuration. If you're borrowing Gyro's book, I suggest following the steps listed.
There is no signature.