DC Particlez Ver 1.0

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

DC Particlez Ver 1.0

Post by Falco Girgis »

Durring the week at school, a friend of mine downloaded that particle demo MarauderIIC and I wrote awhile ago with SDL. I sat there and watched the kid play with it for freaking hours. It actually felt really good to see him having fun with something so primitive, so I decided I could at least make another demo with alot of extras for DC.

So that's what I did. I made this mofo yesterday while in a fit of caffiene high fury. I was up until around 4:30 working, then the power went out and I lost anything (damn me for not saving). I was too caffiene high and motivated to give up, so I redid it.

The outcome is actually really nice. If you thought the PC one was even semi-interesting, you'll enjoy this thing. I added alot of crap that you can edit to do some pretty insane looking things. It's also all user-friendly and everything.

Sadly, I'm not releasing anything more from 1.0 than these screenshots I'm about to post. There's a few things that Hyper Shadow has recommended I add just to put the icing on the cake. Also, I was planning on making a double homebrew with this demo and a tiny little minigame that uses the engine. At least then I'm guaranteed people will give it a chance if it has an accompanying game.

Here's some images of what's been created with it:

So here's how it works:
Up, Down, Left, Right Arrows: Move up and down on the menu and adjust values.
L Trigger + Up, Down, Left, Right Arrows: Moves the focus around onscreen
Analog Stick: Controls the from which particles are generated
L Trigger + Analog Stick: Allows you to rotate the individual particles in 360 degrees
R Trigger: Pressure Sensitive -- allows you to create particles from 0 - max particle value
L Trigger: Works like an alternate button, makes others have different functions
X, A, B, Y + Left, Right: Adjust the A, R, G, and B values of the particles
Start: Pauses the physics of the engine, but still allows particle rotations and other things.

I don't know how long it'll take for me to release this thing. I'd say maybe a week or two, but then again I thought just this much would take a week. It ended up taking a day. Man, the wonders of caffiene...
Orgodemirk
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Orgodemirk »

Yeah Dang ol' Yeah

I'm t3h BETA TeSTz0rz

We've got some good shitaki mushrooms planned for this particlez thing.

yeah man dang ol' yep
A glitch?
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Ermmm.. Gyrovorbis. I wished I owned some of your motivation.... whats wrong with me? I have no will to do anything. I'm seriously messed up in the mind. I feel that if this keeps up I will loose my programming skillz forever. Look at you, you're making nice fancy kooness. Look at me, I sit down at the computer, check the forums, get bored and sad and leave the computer for sometimes days. Its not looking good over here.

Anyway, sweetness of your particle displays foo.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

I know exactly how you feel!

What I did, is I wrote down a list of every game I used to love in my childhood. I know this sounds wierd, but then I went through and beat every one of them. I didn't even think about programming once. Remember all those random posts about beating wierd NES games, MegaMan Legends, and several other games? It sorta served as a break from programming. I feel alot better.

Also, when I feel emo I drink caffiene. Maybe it's just me, but I feel alot better.

Also, I'd like to personally thank you for posting here. I almost thought nobody would ever see this. It seems like members of our own forum are too close minded to even dream of posting anywhere but Off-Topic anymore. I hope that when you and I start releasing things we can reel in a real audience.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Lets hope so.

Yeah, I've been playing alot of good games recently. Just trying to get inspired. Darn it... the original sonic is so unforgiving, I was fighting the final "piston" style boss with only one life left and no rings. And out of no where a little purple ball hits me in the top right corner of my sprite resulting in a fatality. Sigh.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Okay, I've officially completed the Particlez demo. I'll be releasing screenshots along with the source, elf, and probably self-booting file to TheChaosRift shortly.

I won't, however, be releasing the demo to the rest of the Dreamcast scene. I'll be saving up my creations from now on to back the launch of the new ChaosRift site.

I'm moving onto a new homebrew that I'm sure all of you will find quite tasteful. After a week of nothing but gaming a good 12 hours every day, you get highly motivated. I'll let you guys know what this new homebrew is later. For now, just know it's coming, so be ready.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Here's your screens as promised:

Download coming soon...

Post by Guest »

Who was the sexy, sexy man that took those beautiful shots?! No autographs, please.

Those are great screens, but they cannot begin to express the true glory of the actual dreamcast demo. It's GREAT. Someone should make a small shooter that uses it or something.
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

That looks so cool.

I'm definately gonna get me some downloadin' of that there demo.

It sort of reminds me of JSL's polished up version of the Mario shooter that has blood that splatters on the floor and stuff.
This is a joke about unfunny jokes. And bad use of irony.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Very nice particlez Gyrovorbis. Tasty even, seriously.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

JS Lemming wrote:Very nice particlez Gyrovorbis. Tasty even, seriously.
Thanks, I'll post about my new project in the Secret Dev forum a little later.

How's the chainsaw game coming? Better yet, how's the template coming? Yes, yes, you can't hide from me! Fork it over!

I'm kidding. You just take your time. I was planning on starting my new project today anyway. I might not even tell anybody about it until I have a working demo. It'd ruin the surprise.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

GyroVorbis wrote:
JS Lemming wrote:Very nice particlez Gyrovorbis. Tasty even, seriously.
Thanks, I'll post about my new project in the Secret Dev forum a little later.

How's the chainsaw game coming? Better yet, how's the template coming? Yes, yes, you can't hide from me! Fork it over!

I'm kidding. You just take your time. I was planning on starting my new project today anyway. I might not even tell anybody about it until I have a working demo. It'd ruin the surprise.
Heck. I haven't worked on the Chainsaw Game in ages to be truthfull. I'm seriously depressed, the kind that makes you question everything. Which fuels boredom and disgust. My mom hasn't sold the antiques yet, which means I can't move my computer out of the closet and into a new development studio thingy. If I even have enough life in me to develope games when it is set up. The more days go by the worse it gets.

I think I might have a solution though. It may or may not work. I'm going to make an attempt to forget all my worries and problems.. and just make a few really simple, really quick, and really fun mini games for the DC. Just for the heck of it. No rules, just outright random huha.

Anyway, as for the template thingy. Its going pretty good.
Addooomenla5

Post by Addooomenla5 »