Tetris

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

tappatekie
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Web browser from scratch
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PSP, PS1 and 3
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Tetris

Post by tappatekie »

Hi guys, just wondering if you would like this. Basically, I am extremely bored, my project has stalled because of another developer and thought about making a Tetris Game API for .Net which basically holds all the core functions of Tetris e.g block update and the predefined shapes you get with Tetris.
I posted this to see if amateur programmers would enjoy playing around with the functions and easily make a Tetris game of their own.
And yes, it will be open source with the code very heavily commented (nearly every line of code will be commented) with each function compliant with Visual Studio IntelliSense (you can see a description of each function)

Here is a list of features I hopefully will have implimented:
1) Shape rotation (90d steps)
2) 2 dimensional matrix for "cells"
3) Input hooks
4) VERY basic sample game
5) Shape queue and generator
6) Custom shapes
7) Events to tell client if you have a full row etc.. (will help if you want a scoring system)
8) Shape collision (with events)
9) Velocity (yes Tetris shapes can fall upwards :D)
10) Possibly make a history system (you can go back previous moves)
11) A shadow thingy which shows where your shape will go (possibly)

Note: Development of the code will take a few months since I may be switching between project and tetris. Oh and the rendering engine will be from CPU (.Net renderer) not GPU so you MAY need a suitable CPU to render everything smoothly, but like I said, it's only a sample game, you can utilize the GPU via DirectX if your really want to get down with the code.

Copyright notice: Tetris is not my idea, I don't own the name Tetris or have any connection with assets or copyright of Tetris. This is why in the final product, it won't be called "Tetris Game API" but "Connectrix Game API"
Last edited by tappatekie on Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Re: Tetris

Post by k1net1k »

I'm always a fan of more code/examples/SDK's
dr-snipe
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Java, PHP

Post by dr-snipe »

Seems like a fun little project. More beginning developers might be able to use this as a stepping stone to larger projects or getting their feet wet in game coding.

C# I take it?
tappatekie
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Web browser from scratch
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PSP, PS1 and 3
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Post by tappatekie »

Yes,it's written in C# but because it's .Net, it can be used from VB.Net, C#.Net and C++.Net which in it's self is a good advantage to target easy, medium and harder languages.

My target would be easy enough for beginners to make a Tetris game but they can manipulate the engine into doing more complex stuff if they feel that they want to get dirty with the game code or they are more advanced coders.