C Pointer Question

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

C Pointer Question

Post by N64vSNES »

I've been writing a image library to gain some knowledge in areas that I've been constantly getting other libraries to do for me and I've got a design like this:

So for the sake of keeping the code tidy, each format that the loader supports will be inherited from its own base class to deal with it's own loading and initializing.

Now with this approach I would have to declare things in each of the base class irrelevant of if that one gets used.

So for example, in my BMP base class, if I have the members "BitmapHeader" and "BitmapInfoHeader" but just declare them as pointers and keep them at NULL like this:

Code: Select all

class BitmapLoader
{
       public:
		BitmapLoader();
		~BitmapLoader();

private:
		BitmapHeader *Header;
		BitmapInfoHeader *InfoHeader;

protected:
		void LoadBMP(std::string filename, char *Pixels);
};

BitmapLoader::BitmapLoader()
{
	Header = NULL;
	InfoHeader = NULL;
}
I would expect the pointers to take up a few bytes, but I'm not 100% how resource heavy this would be.

So basically I'm asking, am I being retarded or would this be a sufficient design? And exactly how much room would a NULL pointer take?

Thanks!
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: C Pointer Question

Post by Light-Dark »

Not to sound retarded, but isn't a null pointer the same as setting it to 0, since null is nothing and zero is nothing so it would be the same as setting a 0 pointer which is going to take up very little space ? :S
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Light-Dark wrote:Not to sound retarded, but isn't a null pointer the same as setting it to 0, since null is nothing and zero is nothing so it would be the same as setting a 0 pointer which is going to take up very little space ? :S
A pointer has a fixed size of 32-bits/4-bytes on a 32-bit operating system and 64-bits/8-bytes on a 64-bit operating system regardless of the value of the pointer.

I would have to see more than just that diagram to comment on the design, though. At least from a memory standpoint, a single pointer is never enough to make a fuss over... it's the same size as an integer on 32-bit Windows versions and the same size as 2 integers on 64-bit Windows versions.
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

GyroVorbis wrote:
Light-Dark wrote:Not to sound retarded, but isn't a null pointer the same as setting it to 0, since null is nothing and zero is nothing so it would be the same as setting a 0 pointer which is going to take up very little space ? :S
A pointer has a fixed size of 32-bits/4-bytes on a 32-bit operating system and 64-bits/8-bytes on a 64-bit operating system regardless of the value of the pointer.

I would have to see more than just that diagram to comment on the design, though. At least from a memory standpoint, a single pointer is never enough to make a fuss over... it's the same size as an integer on 32-bit Windows versions and the same size as 2 integers on 64-bit Windows versions.
Exactly what I was looking for! :)

The idea is that the when the image class inherits all of the base classes it will inherit all of it's types, but if I dynamically allocate them then it would just inherit the NULL pointers and only get allocated if that specific format was determined to be the one that's required.

However, if each base class has 2-3 pointers, then for just these formats it could use up to 36 bytes of data per texture (on a 32-bit system). So even with that, it still seems like a bad idea. I'm really not sure.
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

Maybe i don't understand the design, but it seems a bit backwards to me. Why not let the different loaders inherit a common interface instead of having the common interface inherit each of the loaders?
Image ImageImage Image
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

I would usually suspect that BMP, TGA, and whatever loaders to be children of an ImageLoader type object, not the other way around. It seems that you're starting very specific then getting more general as you cascade down the inheritance tree. This is the opposite of the concept where you ask "Is the <child> a type of <the parent>". So then, "Is an ImageLoader a type of a BMP Loader?" or is "A BMP loader a type of an Image Loader?".

Headers for images are generally considered disposable. You really only need them for the actual file loading. It would be handy if you had to load an image from disk several times, but if this is the case then you've got some even bigger problems to worry about. So in this sense, you don't really need to store them for the life of the object. Things that are common to all images however might be: width, height, bits per pel, pel format, the raw data array, and so on. This way you're not storing redundant data in children classes for things that are common for ALL images. Knowing all of this will allow you to do whatever image processing things that you need to do from the "most parent" class and is consequently where I would keep them. "I have an Image, now do stuff with it". Instead of "I have a bitmap, which is an image, now do stuff with it", "I have a targa, which is an image, now do stuff with it.". Very repetitive. The only thing that changes significantly from type to type is the actual loading which is a one time thing. Just always ask yourself, what is common to all of my things and what is unique about them. The common elements can go with the parent as they're shared, the unique things can be derived behaviours.
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

qpHalcy0n wrote:I would usually suspect that BMP, TGA, and whatever loaders to be children of an ImageLoader type object, not the other way around. It seems that you're starting very specific then getting more general as you cascade down the inheritance tree. This is the opposite of the concept where you ask "Is the <child> a type of <the parent>". So then, "Is an ImageLoader a type of a BMP Loader?" or is "A BMP loader a type of an Image Loader?".

Headers for images are generally considered disposable. You really only need them for the actual file loading. It would be handy if you had to load an image from disk several times, but if this is the case then you've got some even bigger problems to worry about. So in this sense, you don't really need to store them for the life of the object. Things that are common to all images however might be: width, height, bits per pel, pel format, the raw data array, and so on. This way you're not storing redundant data in children classes for things that are common for ALL images. Knowing all of this will allow you to do whatever image processing things that you need to do from the "most parent" class and is consequently where I would keep them. "I have an Image, now do stuff with it". Instead of "I have a bitmap, which is an image, now do stuff with it", "I have a targa, which is an image, now do stuff with it.". Very repetitive. The only thing that changes significantly from type to type is the actual loading which is a one time thing. Just always ask yourself, what is common to all of my things and what is unique about them. The common elements can go with the parent as they're shared, the unique things can be derived behaviours.
I think I see what you mean. And the idea of The Image class is to be the most general because all the other classes I.E. bmp, tga, png etc are indeed children.

I think I was just over-complicating things :lol:

Thanks for the input! :)