My Multithreaded Merge Sort Algorithm takes 10+ minutes to s

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

My Multithreaded Merge Sort Algorithm takes 10+ minutes to s

Post by davidthefat »

So this is for my AP Computer Science class in high school (equivalent to 2nd semester of Comp Sci 101) that focuses on data structures. So we have this little contest on who can make the fastest sorting algorithm. This current algorithm only takes 450 ms for sorting 20,000 strings. I do not know how that is compared to others, but seems like I'm on the right track. It handles 100,000 strings fine; less than 7 seconds (all these numbers include reading and writing the files) However, it just is a slug when it comes to 1 million strings. I tried to minimize the copying of data and just kept it to accessing using pointers (From what I've been told, all objects in java are pointers) Is this a nature of merge sort in itself or is it a flaw in my methodology?
Keep in mind, my system is a quad core cpu so I purposely made it only have 4 active running threads per file being sorted at any given time, but I've heard that the rule of thumb is 1.5 * the # of cores. The overhead from initiating the threads are negligible IMHO. It takes about 1/4 the time a single threaded merge sort does on my PC. And I am very aware that I should be commenting my file... Just a habit of never commenting for years.
I purposely did not join the sort threads until I started all of them by design. I know that it would be sluggish around 5+ files, but I will be testing one file at a time.
My sort method: [1] http://pastebin.com/YwHU4BPz
My "main" file: [2] http://pastebin.com/9kj4fpXL
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Re: My Multithreaded Merge Sort Algorithm takes 10+ minutes

Post by short »

ok your going for speed ..... are you forced to write it in java...?

(you know somebody was going to ask, might as well be me)
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
Rebornxeno
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Rebornxeno »

A little overhead really adds up if your making threads for everything you sort :(
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by davidthefat »

short wrote:ok your going for speed ..... are you forced to write it in java...?

Yes, I am forced to write in java because the class is taught in java.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL

Post by LeonBlade »

short wrote:ok your going for speed ..... are you forced to write it in java...?

:lol:
There's no place like ~/
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by GroundUpEngine »

davidthefat wrote:

Yes, I am forced to write in java because the class is taught in java.
The joys of life lol ;)
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

Since the performance is fine up until 1 million strings, I'm guessing you're running into memory problems, and the computer is starting to use (uber-slow) swap space. That, or the function stack is getting a little too deep and is slowing things down. I think it's a space complexity issue though.

Edit: taking a closer look at your implementation, I notice 2 things: first, that your method, run on a large data set, would create a HUGE amount of threads. And second, that these threads are... well, useless. If all you're doing is starting the threads then waiting for them to end, why not just have them be non-threaded methods? I think if you removed the threading you could actually make the algorithm significantly faster.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Light-Dark »

uh-oh Java, well Java doesn't do well performance wise i at least have hope that you are also learning C/++ so you may be forgiven for your transgressions?
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by davidthefat »

Ginto8 wrote:Since the performance is fine up until 1 million strings, I'm guessing you're running into memory problems, and the computer is starting to use (uber-slow) swap space. That, or the function stack is getting a little too deep and is slowing things down. I think it's a space complexity issue though.

Edit: taking a closer look at your implementation, I notice 2 things: first, that your method, run on a large data set, would create a HUGE amount of threads. And second, that these threads are... well, useless. If all you're doing is starting the threads then waiting for them to end, why not just have them be non-threaded methods? I think if you removed the threading you could actually make the algorithm significantly faster.
If you have not noticed, it actually does not spawn more than 6 threads other than the main and read file threads (and other overhead threads java has, if it has any)

Code: Select all

@Override
    public void run()
    {
        mergesort(0, num - 1, 2); //This makes it only spawn 6 threads; 2 threads that calls two each.
    }

Code: Select all

public static void mergesort(int l, int h, int i)
    {
        if (l < h)
        {
            int m = (l + h) / 2;
            if(i > 0) //Checks if that "i" in the argument is bigger than 0. It recursively decrements it two lines below. The else statement does not generate any threads.
            {
                merger t1 = new merger(l, m, i - 1);
                merger t2 = new merger(m + 1, h, i - 1);
                t1.start();
                t2.start();
                try
                {
                    t1.join();
                    t2.join();
                }
                catch(InterruptedException e)
                {
                    System.out.println(e.getMessage());
                }
            }
            else
            {
                mergesort(l, m, 0);
                mergesort(m + 1, h, 0);
            }
Light-Dark wrote:uh-oh Java, well Java doesn't do well performance wise i at least have hope that you are also learning C/++ so you may be forgiven for your transgressions?
Do not worry; I know C++. In fact, the teacher almost did not let me take the class because I used C++ all year in his class two years ago... Just a fun fact. Why I am taking the class again is because he is teaching data structures and algorithms to people who already too the class.

edit: I'm a freaking idiot... I knew constructing the array of strings every iteration will **** me up... So I fixed it; it runs like a charm. 1 million strings now take ~790 ms... Fixed Code: http://pastebin.com/Jqf4TVEk