Android Tutorials/References/Etc?

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Android Tutorials/References/Etc?

Post by XianForce »

Well I just got an Android phone, and I'm considering learning the Android SDK, but I haven't found too many references that take you past a "Hello World". I've been looking at the documentation, but I'm looking for a little bit more :). Anyone have references to recommend?
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Re: Android Tutorials/References/Etc?

Post by k1net1k »

i also didnt find much in the way of tutorials, or they just arent being talked about/linked much. maybe these developers are keeping it up their sleeve, or maybe it just doesnt need it because its so close to what java people have already been doing.

I have been keeping up with the adobe flash > export to android side of things however. despite how well its performing already a lot of people dont take flash seriously due to the proprietary nature and masses of crappy flash games to reference.
TheIrishPhilosopher
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: ASP.NET (work related)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amstrad 464+, Gameboy, PS3, PC
Programming Language of Choice: c#

Post by TheIrishPhilosopher »

How about

http://www.amazon.com/Android-Applicati ... _2?s=books

I bought this a few months ago and found it excellent to go through most of the essential elements of Android Dev development
Life is essentially about exploring, finding our way through a maze of faces, ideas..and different beers!
Milch
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Milch »

If you want to start with game developement on android, take a look at this: http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Android ... 824&sr=1-1
Follow me on twitter!
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

It's simply because there's just not much to elaborate on lol.

The complication of developing for android does not extent too far beyond what java already does and what their simple demos show. If you're working with graphics OpenGLES2 is precisely like working with OpenGL.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Hmm, I guess I can just use my OpenGL book as a reference, since it fully covers OpenGL ES, and then use the docs. Thanks for the info, guys :)
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by LeonBlade »

Lynda.com has a great tutorial series for Android App Development by Lee Brimelow, owner of gotoAndLearn.com He is amazing at making tutorials, and I'm really enjoying them. I just got my new Inspire 4G on my birthday August 8th and I'm already learning some really cool stuff.

Definitely check it out.
There's no place like ~/
TheIrishPhilosopher
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: ASP.NET (work related)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amstrad 464+, Gameboy, PS3, PC
Programming Language of Choice: c#

Post by TheIrishPhilosopher »

That's great info, thanks folks
Life is essentially about exploring, finding our way through a maze of faces, ideas..and different beers!
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

LeonBlade wrote:Lynda.com has a great tutorial series for Android App Development by Lee Brimelow, owner of gotoAndLearn.com He is amazing at making tutorials, and I'm really enjoying them. I just got my new Inspire 4G on my birthday August 8th and I'm already learning some really cool stuff.

Definitely check it out.
Haha! I got the same phone :)
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

XianForce wrote:
LeonBlade wrote:Lynda.com has a great tutorial series for Android App Development by Lee Brimelow, owner of gotoAndLearn.com He is amazing at making tutorials, and I'm really enjoying them. I just got my new Inspire 4G on my birthday August 8th and I'm already learning some really cool stuff.

Definitely check it out.
Awesome! :) I really like it, I'm about to watch some more of those lynda.com videos and learn more about development ;)
There's no place like ~/
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

LeonBlade wrote:
XianForce wrote:

Definitely check it out.
Awesome! :) I really like it, I'm about to watch some more of those lynda.com videos and learn more about development ;)
Nice :). Yeah, I would watch those, but I don't think I'm going to pay haha. I don't see it as something I'd use enough to justify spending money haha.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

XianForce wrote:
LeonBlade wrote:
XianForce wrote:

Definitely check it out.
Nice :). Yeah, I would watch those, but I don't think I'm going to pay haha. I don't see it as something I'd use enough to justify spending money haha.
I've only had a trial in the past, I really enjoyed it, but I can't see myself always watching videos enough for the price to be justified. I didn't exactly pay for these videos though... if you know what I mean. :lol:
There's no place like ~/
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

LeonBlade wrote:
XianForce wrote:
LeonBlade wrote:
XianForce wrote:

Definitely check it out.
I've only had a trial in the past, I really enjoyed it, but I can't see myself always watching videos enough for the price to be justified. I didn't exactly pay for these videos though... if you know what I mean. :lol:
Haha. I'll look around a bit then ;)