Space Shooter WIP (C++/OpenGL/SDL)

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

JesseGuarascia
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Space Shooter WIP (C++/OpenGL/SDL)

Post by JesseGuarascia »

Hey all! After a few weeks of coding (and months of preparation), I've began development on a Shmup' as it were. Here's a screen shot of what I have so far.

I know it's not much, but I've been really on and off with school getting in the way. A ton of homework, and midterms are coming out soon, so tests up the butt.

Lemme know what you think though, it's all original art. I'm aware that the first enemy (referred to as the "WeakEnemy") and the ship you play as (bottom of the screen), are very different looking (at least to me), so any advice would be helpful on that :).

Also, I'm using a new engine I devised called the TryneEngine. It's more of a Framework at the moment though, making it easier to render 2D Textures in OpenGL. It also has built in Sound and Font stuff (music too). I used a Module based system for game states, like TheBuzzSaw uses for his engine, just I haven't implemented any way to switch between two different states; That's the next thing to do. I also hope to add Lua to it to spiff up the game a bit.
-- Jesse Guarascia

I like C/++, SDL, SFML, OpenGL and Lua. If you don't like those, then gtfo my sig pl0x (jk trollololololol)
jaybee
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: 2d platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES, Genesis, DOS
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Space Shooter WIP (C++/OpenGL/SDL)

Post by jaybee »

Nice SHMUP man. I think the player looks pretty good. I'm working on a SHMUP as well but I'm not quite ready for opengl. Maybe you could upload a video when you get a chance. :mrgreen:
"Do I really have to spell this out? What if a bunch of punk kids go into the woods with a bullet proof vest and strap it on a grizzly bear? Then what have you got? Invincible bears. Is that what you want? Invincible bears running around; raping your churches and burning your women?"
JesseGuarascia
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Re: Space Shooter WIP (C++/OpenGL/SDL)

Post by JesseGuarascia »

Yeah I definitely will once I get the chance. I wanna add a few more things first though. :D
-- Jesse Guarascia

I like C/++, SDL, SFML, OpenGL and Lua. If you don't like those, then gtfo my sig pl0x (jk trollololololol)