Programming practice

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Sanshin77
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: C++/SDL engine, zaActionWizardMagic game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Playstation 2, Nintendo DS, mac and PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Programming practice

Post by Sanshin77 »

Hey.

Moved to the US for a year and haven't really visited the chaos rift since I moved here. Anyway, here's my request:

Do you guys know of a place to find ideas for practicing programming? I've been doing some of the problems at Project Euler, but they're really focused on math problems, not developing an application and I get bored of those after a while. Do you know of another site where you can get ideas for programs that are small enough to complete alone in a little while and presenting a decent challenge for a novice programmer? I'd like to make terminal application without having to deal with GUI programming and polishing.

My wording might be a little weird but I think you understand what I mean.

Check out videos of my C++ games as well as my "Amateur Game Dev" series over at
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zanchill
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Re: Programming practice

Post by Ginto8 »

Well, I am of the opinion that, once you have the basics of the language down, you should start understanding how graphics and windowing libraries work, because you will deal with them a shitton if you want to do game programming. I'd say once you're comfortable with C++ and you're bored, your most interesting and productive choice is probably to learn something like SDL or SFML. I recommend SDL, if only because it has lazyfoo, who explains the hell out of his shit (although his shit isn't the best, the concepts are the important parts). However, if you really want to stick with the console, try out making a MUD; It'd be a great way to learn how networking works.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Sanshin77
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: C++/SDL engine, zaActionWizardMagic game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Playstation 2, Nintendo DS, mac and PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Programming practice

Post by Sanshin77 »

Ok, thanks. I've already done GLUT/OPENGL and SDL with lazyfoos tutorials. I'm just kinda bored of that and like the simplicity of just setting up console applications, like doing projecteuler stuff.

MUD sounds cool, I'll check it out! :P
Check out videos of my C++ games as well as my "Amateur Game Dev" series over at
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zanchill