Gyroball

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Gyroball

Post by EccentricDuck »

As I said in the "What projects are your currently working on?" thread, I've put my game up for review on Xbox Live Indie Games. It's been close to a year now that I've been working on making something for the Xbox, and I'm incredibly excited (and nervous). I'm sitting here at 4:30am in the morning, my heart's pumping hard, I feel wired, and I there's no way I can sleep. If anyone wants to review it or give it a try before it makes it to Xbox Live Indie Games, here's the [new] link:
http://catalog.create.msdn.com/en-US/Ga ... ff9&type=1

Also, here's the trailer for the game:

The game will be available for 80 microsoft points ($1 US) and I'll make a post here when it has made it past the review process.

Thanks for all your support and the insightful discussions on these forums. This place has been a really big help to me (and I'm sure it will continue to be in the future)!
Last edited by EccentricDuck on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Gyroball

Post by dandymcgee »

Awesome, congrats on getting it ready to go. Be sure to less us know when it gets approved.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

Looks awesome, good job man ;)
EdBoon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Top down multiplayer shooter using unity 3D
Favorite Gaming Platforms: 360, SNES, ps1
Programming Language of Choice: C++, C#

Post by EdBoon »

going to review it tomorrow, it really is a cool game, the controls are excellent. hopefully it makes it through, i hope it the best. The multiplayer coding is excellent too, i know you spent a lot of time on it. Its always great when an actual game is released, with the sea of crap in XBLIG its like the coders arent gamers at all, just making a stupid interactive press one button as fast as you can when a prompt comes up, add a massage mode, and release it on live, it really takes away from indie game section. Most people dont even look there, and i cant say i blame them. The winter uprising was great for it, lots of attention. And even though 90% are crap (zombie milker, virtual fireplace) there are some excellent games in the indie section. Maybe you can review mine in a month ?? :)
Congratulations man, hope it does well!

just out of curiosity, how big did your release end up being? did the final publish compress it at all?
Undead Empire -> http://bit.ly/dYdu3z
Gamerscore Tracker -> http://bit.ly/vI4T4X
Undead Empire: Hellfire -> http://bit.ly/1AgC4ZY
facebook.com/BigRookGames twitter.com/BigRookGames
youtube.com/user/bigrookdigital
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

It looks to me like light cycles in 3d, and it seems epic :mrgreen:
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Wicked awesome man, nice work! 8-)
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

Ginto8 wrote:It looks to me like light cycles in 3d, and it seems epic :mrgreen:
This is what I was going to say. It's TRON on a 3D grid! =D
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by EccentricDuck »

EdBoon wrote:Maybe you can review mine in a month ?? :)
Definitely! I'm looking forward to seeing the new art assets you were talking about ;)
EdBoon wrote:just out of curiosity, how big did your release end up being? did the final publish compress it at all?
It was 13.5 MB. The grid that you play on is procedurally generated using 3D primitives (though it's not random, it's a constant size). I think that definitely helps. The package is bigger than the Windows version, although I think that the Xbox package stores all the assets in the package file where as the Windows version stores them in a separate content folder.

EDIT: Actually, scrap that, I'm re-submitting to fix a bug and actually realized I hadn't removed all unused assets. It's now 4.52 MB ;)
Last edited by EccentricDuck on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

I really need to get a XBox......

But this looks awesomer than doodle man.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

Wow. I gotta say.. The game looks really nice.

Makes me feel like we're wasting our time with 'built from scratch Engines' lol :lol:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Wow, I am once more in need of an xbox live points card. If I get a job that will be on my shopping list, I will buy this and I will give a friend a dollar to buy Bop n' Pop :D
CC Ricers
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by CC Ricers »

Great work, it's kind of light cycles plus Snake in 3D. Wish I can afford an Xbox 360 right now so I can get into their indie scene.

Also, I dig the retro sound of the music, feels like something I once heard from a 90's racing game at the arcades.
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by EccentricDuck »

Glad you like it :D

The music is by a person who goes by coda. Here's their site:
http://coda.s3m.us/
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by EccentricDuck »

:evil: Looks like I can't submit for "review" for a week now - so it's sitting in playtest. Perhaps that's where I should have put it the first time though.

The only change I needed to make was to detect which PlayerIndex the active controller was associated with. I used a pop-up messageBox to detect which controller was being used and set it that way.
EdBoon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Top down multiplayer shooter using unity 3D
Favorite Gaming Platforms: 360, SNES, ps1
Programming Language of Choice: C++, C#

Post by EdBoon »

Yeah, I had read they are pretty strict about the whole 'control with any controller' thing. did you get a whole explanation from the reviewer or did he just list that one item that was wrong? Are you forced to put it through playtest? I am pretty sure I will put mine in playtest too. man that kinda sucks, getting all excited, even i was excited about it. everytime i get on ES forum i look at this thread and it makes me want to go home and work on the game.

Have you had any thought how you will distribute your 50 download keys? I highly recommend trying to give them out to indie reviewers, especially this game they will prob review it anyway just because its badass but those things really help a lot. Also , i know a few people that have sent kotaku reviewers emails about their indie games and they get small stories posted, the last game i saw the downloads for it after it was posted shot up a couple thousand in a few days. I mean its worth a shot. im guessing u wouldnt mind if more people downloaded it :)

i hope u left that secret glitch in where i could fly offscreen and shoot orbs at the cube, i will dominate online
Undead Empire -> http://bit.ly/dYdu3z
Gamerscore Tracker -> http://bit.ly/vI4T4X
Undead Empire: Hellfire -> http://bit.ly/1AgC4ZY
facebook.com/BigRookGames twitter.com/BigRookGames
youtube.com/user/bigrookdigital