Null updates, info, and development.

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Yet again I didn't have as much time as I'd wanted nor expected.

I had computer science team, then we went to Wal-Mart. Boom, half the day gone there.

Then, I get home and start working. I look up from the computer and it's about 9:00 and it's dark and time for dinner. After dinner I barely have enough time to shower and get in bed.

Life is such a depressing bitch sometimes. That's why I think caffeine should be used to get the most out of it.

Anyway, I ended up fixing jump to match the game (you used to be able to jump so damn high!). I started planning out some ideas and stuff. Then, I started synchronizing parts of the level with the actual game (only places that I felt the game could do a better job than I could).

I did get alot done on the level, but it is just a basic layout an it's ugly.

Here, I got a first secret done that you can look at because I don't want you to see the prototype ugliness of the level:
Let's just say this is a great secret to find. So when I release this, GO FIND IT!
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by spideyspiderman2000 »

GyroVorbis wrote:
spideyspiderman2000 wrote:Dude, that game looks SOOOOOOOO awesome. But alas, I don't have a DC :cry: Looks good though. I'd play it if I had a DC! :D
I was actually planning on porting it to the PC after I was done sometime. Maybe during or after NEStix as a side project. There really isn't too much that I'd have to change.
Awesome! I'll look forward to it! :D
South Park wrote:Mr Garrison: Okay class. Can anybody tell me what "Sexual Harrassment" is?

Cartman: Isn't that when you're having intercourse with a special lady friend, and some other guy comes up behind you and tickles your balls?
I HATE Jack Thompson!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Actually, come to think of it, the fact that you don't have a DC shouldn't really be a problem at all.

The DC emulator, Chankast, played all the other crap I've made for DC. I'm sure it'll play this fine.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

I just wanted to let you all know that I'm still steadily working on NULL.

It's really hard though and it's time consuming. I did the whole upper level of Gemini Man's stage yesterday in notepad. TOOK FOREVER.

Then I have all that homework.

I'll be working alot on the weekend though, so never fear.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

We've done SO much freaking work on Null. Arce made a level editor in BlizPlus so we don't have to settle for editting .txt files anymore. Hyper Shadow has been beta testing and giving general input.

Showdin has joined team Null as a level maker.

Anyway, there really is nothing concrete for you to see just yet. We haven't really made a level with the editor yet. But here, I finished the title screen:

The null logo fades in and out on a timer and its color depends on which option your cursor is on. The cursor changes colors with the logo and the Nullsets are infinately rotating in 360 degrees thanks to Tvspelsfreak's mad sin() and cos() skills.

Oh, and you can type in codes and stuff to enable debug mode at the title screen.

I'll post some pictures of us working on Null along with Arce's level editor screens later.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Today I worked on... DEATH!

Here is an animation of what -- errr... will hopefully not happen to you.

When you DIE!

The animation probably looks really crusty because I had to take them by hand. The rotations actually are alot faster and look better. I think the blood engine will also be seen when you die.

Also, when you get hurt, you start to bleed. Well -- you will at least. That'll probably be tomorrows work.

On an interesting side note. I used my first overloaded function today on the DC. I really recommend you do this. Have a single overloaded function for drawing. Just have one that takes an image and the one that doesn't should draw like a quad.

I think it works alot better and is much less confusing that way.
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Sweet. Looks like you're doing good. Also, is the character just a rectangle, or are you gonna add something?
South Park wrote:Mr Garrison: Okay class. Can anybody tell me what "Sexual Harrassment" is?

Cartman: Isn't that when you're having intercourse with a special lady friend, and some other guy comes up behind you and tickles your balls?
I HATE Jack Thompson!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

I've shown Null off to a few people over at DCEmulation.

They all thought the idea of having a block was hilarious. After all, the game is Null. So I mean, not having a character makes plenty of sense to me and the people seem to think it's hilarious.

So no, no characters/enemies/bosses whatsoever.

Got untextured quads?
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Maybe you could add a small circle to the rectangle like an eye.... and depending on which direction you face affects where the eye is... left or right side of the rect. Just so you know which direction you are facing when you shoot. Just and idea.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

I guess. . .

Why the hell do you guys have problems with knowing where you're facing? Nobody else does.

Oh well, I guess I should make an eye.

Post by Guest »

I'd usually have problems also, but NOT on the dreamcast. There really isn't a need for an "eye" or whatever; they haven't played and seen how easy it is to tell direction, andthus I think your should leave it to your tester(s) *cough* Hyper Shadow *cough*. Anyway, that's up to you.

Well, I'm posting to tell everyone that the new and improved (but not done) null level editor is complete. It has some flaws, but they'll be fixed ASAP. And also, for all of you have had experience with the older version of the editor and you receive a random error message that shuts it down, don't be alarmed, I fixed that bug.

Anyway, because the editor isn't actually FINISHED, but is still very useable, it's not downloadable on The Chaos Rift yet. E-mail or MSN me for it, and tell me if you want full screen or windowed mode. I'll get it to you ASAP. It's a bit less than 1 mb in size.

For those of you who haven't used an older version, READ THE README FOR CONTROLS!

Post by Guest »

See that sub-par level he's on in all the screens? My first version of my level editor made that! I'm so proud! Even though it does look like living hell, that is just because that was made as a quick test. Newer levels that have already been created are are AWSOME! That's right, everyone bow to me, MARAUDER (he's probably put 2 hours into helping me with my moronic mistakes!), and JS Lemming (In 5 minutes he fixed what i could not in 8 HOURS. Can someone say PATHETIC?). MUHAHAHAHAH!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

That's right, BOW! EVERYONE knows the level editor is WAY better than the actual game/program. :mrgreen:

Sorry everyone, I'm just excited that I could help using BLITZ. Anyway, I'm adding in a new "death" tile today. Gyrovorbis will make it if you walk on it, you die. So in the editor, you you put death tiles inside ofpits, in traps, etc.

Anyway, it's late, so good night.

And, everyone, DREAMCAST PWNS ALL! :spin:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Arce wrote:That's right, BOW! EVERYONE knows the level editor is WAY better than the actual game/program. :mrgreen:
. . .
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Just a question. How do you get killed and die if there aren't any bosses or enemies? :?

EDIT: But I'm not dissing the game. It looks great. :D
Last edited by spideyspiderman2000 on Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

I HATE Jack Thompson!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

The hell? Whoever said anything about no bosses or enemies. You'd damn well better believe this badass square will have foes to do battle with!

Null
The epic journey of one badass square.