The Adventures Of SquareHead

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

The Adventures Of SquareHead

Post by N64vSNES »

I've been putting off learning C# further for a while now so I decided to revive Adventure of squarehead which is a 2D platformer I was making in C++ and DarkGDK about two years ago that I never finished due to lack of experiance.

This is only day 3 and I'm still not very experianced with C# but here is what I've got so far:
View My Video

Basic stats, camera, maps, player, animation etc

Let me know what you finks =D

EDIT:
By the way this is a side project, it won't be getting in the way of EQ at all ;)
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: The Adventures Of SquareHead

Post by dandymcgee »

Good start, keep us updated.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

dandymcgee wrote:Good start, keep us updated.
Thanks, I'm really starting to get used to C# but I still love C++ :)
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

New stuff!

-Bad guys
-Bad guys flashing red
-Basic AI
-Collision and physics improved
-Map optimization
-Gun!
-Health!

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=20o6r5&s=7

If you're thinking "Hey isn't that the killer towel from bart V space mutants and the annoying paperclip from word?"

Well you are correct ;)

Also I died near the beginning but the gameover screen isn't done...
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Heh, the bullets move up and down with the player (would make for a great game mechanic for another unintuitive physics comp). :P
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

dandymcgee wrote:Heh, the bullets move up and down with the player (would make for a great game mechanic for another unintuitive physics comp). :P
What do you mean move up and down with the player? They basically their coords set to the players coords when they get fired.

Perhaps I missed somthing? :lol:

EDIT:
Haha, I just got what you mean. Good thing you pointed that out becuase the bullets coords arn't being subtracted by the Y scroll value of the camera.......I'm gonna go fix that. :lol:

EDIT EDIT:
I hope you don't spot that other bug I just uncovered.......
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

*jumps into the hole, falls from sky* Now you're thinking portals :P

Good job so far. Keep it up.
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

N64vSNES wrote:I hope you don't spot that other bug I just uncovered.......
There are a few things which look like bugs, but they may be intentional. Such as the player flying up when he hits an enemy or theres no collision on the top (if its meant to be solid).
I'll make your software hardware.
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

cypher1554R wrote:*jumps into the hole, falls from sky* Now you're thinking portals :P

Good job so far. Keep it up.
Thanks, I guessed that like in a lot of platformers when you fall into a pit and leave the map you should die ( mwahahahaha ) But rather than reseting old positions I thought it would be cooler to renter the top of the map so if your climbing faaaaaaaaar upwards like in bar V space mutants on NES you have a chance to land on a platform.
thejahooli wrote:
N64vSNES wrote:I hope you don't spot that other bug I just uncovered.......
There are a few things which look like bugs, but they may be intentional. Such as the player flying up when he hits an enemy or theres no collision on the top (if its meant to be solid).
For the enemies:
I REALLY like simons quest but as most people will say the way if you get hit then you fall down a pit and die, so I decided to fix this fatal flaw instead of the X velocity being changed I also set the gravity to a negitive value depending on how hard you got hit so you don't fall to a death.

And I was gonna make the top solid but I thought that would be a bit tediouse when jumping and also it wouldn't let you fall through when you die from a pit :lol:
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

Got a fair bit done, I've been trying to juggle EQ along with this so its not much.

View My Video

I've got done....

-Sound effects
-Music
-Fixed some old bugs
-Bullets work correctly :oops:
-Level advancing (still working on it)
-GameStates
-Title
-Infromation system ( output text at top of screen )
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

For your jump code, make sure that once your character is in air to disable jumping again until your player starts to move down in velocity and then hits a floor. Otherwise, you get that double jumping effect you see where you can shoot through the bottom of platforms and it makes the jump sound again.

Doing good so far.
There's no place like ~/
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

LeonBlade wrote:For your jump code, make sure that once your character is in air to disable jumping again until your player starts to move down in velocity and then hits a floor. Otherwise, you get that double jumping effect you see where you can shoot through the bottom of platforms and it makes the jump sound again.

Doing good so far.
The jump is basic but effective, I literally threw it together.

Basically the player class has a boolean called "CanJump" and when you press "Up" CanJump is set to false. Whenever a collision is detected underneath the player the Y velocity is set to 0 and the CanJump variable is set to true.

It does look like double jumping but its actually because I was holding the up key and walking into the tile so as I hit the top left of the tile it does look kinda like a double jump.
Thank though, perhaps I should find a workaround to eliminate this effect?