Are donations illegal?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Are donations illegal?

Post by MadPumpkin »

Does anyone know if donations you ask for are illegal for games that you made that are clones off of other games? For example, if I made a Zelda or Sonic tribute game, would it be legal if I asked for donations on the website?
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Are donations illegal?

Post by Falco Girgis »

MadPumpkin wrote:Does anyone know if donations you ask for are illegal for games that you made that are clones off of other games? For example, if I made a Zelda or Sonic tribute game, would it be legal if I asked for donations on the website?
I'm pretty sure they're legal. What would be ILLEGAL is if you were charging money to actually purchase the games...
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

GyroVorbis wrote:
MadPumpkin wrote:Does anyone know if donations you ask for are illegal for games that you made that are clones off of other games? For example, if I made a Zelda or Sonic tribute game, would it be legal if I asked for donations on the website?
I'm pretty sure they're legal. What would be ILLEGAL is if you were charging money to actually purchase the games...
Alright thanks, that's what I was thinking. Because I believe that Sonic Team Jr. even asks for donations on their website.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

MadPumpkin wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
Alright thanks, that's what I was thinking. Because I believe that Sonic Team Jr. even asks for donations on their website.
Make it clear that the donations are for beer/asswipe and that the actual game itself will be free...
Van-B
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: iPhone puzzle game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: All - Except Amiga
Programming Language of Choice: DBPro, ObjC++

Post by Van-B »

Once you have more than 1 game on there, nobody will be able to complain - might be a little different if you only had say, a SMB clone and were asking for donations. I guess the more games on your site, the less likely you are to ever have someone bitch at you.
Health, ammo.... and bacon and eggs.
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by MadPumpkin »

Alright, well I won't have my clone until I at least am half way done with Octopia anyways so that's great.
EdBoon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Top down multiplayer shooter using unity 3D
Favorite Gaming Platforms: 360, SNES, ps1
Programming Language of Choice: C++, C#

Post by EdBoon »

MadPumpkin wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
came across this while reading up on the newly released UDK:

Q: Could I set up a website and put games onto it, but not sell the games, just make money through ad sense?

A: Collecting revenue from ads on a site designed as a portal to your UDK based games doesn't make your games free. It just acts as a proxy to direct revenue collection from your UDK applications. If you are collecting ad revenue as a proxy to collecting direct revenue from the game you will require a commercial license and Epic is due a royalty.

i'm thinking if you don't have any ad revenue you will be fine, seems like your in the clear with donations
Undead Empire -> http://bit.ly/dYdu3z
Gamerscore Tracker -> http://bit.ly/vI4T4X
Undead Empire: Hellfire -> http://bit.ly/1AgC4ZY
facebook.com/BigRookGames twitter.com/BigRookGames
youtube.com/user/bigrookdigital