What to do After Learning C++??? suggestions would be help!!

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

froggy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

What to do After Learning C++??? suggestions would be help!!

Post by froggy »

hey guys ive been doing c++ for about 2 years now and i am well versed in it. Ive been wonderiound if i should learn Sdl or Allegro to start with, to increase my knowledge. what do u guys think i should do??? also after i learn Allegro or SDL i wanna get into game engine development if you guys can name some great books or something that might help. plz and ty..
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Re: What to do After Learning C++??? suggestions would be help!!

Post by N64vSNES »

Well first of all find out exactly how familiar with C++ you actully are.

If you know

-Arrays
-Pointers, refrences and other data types and managment
-Functions
-At least basic object oriented design
etc

If not then you should spend a while longer with some more C++ books.

If your familiar with above then yes SDL or allegro would be the way to go if you intend to get into game development.

Assuming you are wanting to get into game programming then here is a link to Gryo's getting started videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAgpsks29W4

Otherwise if you just plainly want to advance your programming skills then I suggest you look into anything you might have missed, just search through some C++ books and you might find somthing you didn't know.
adikid89
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: small tiny-mini projects
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC I guess...
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by adikid89 »

froggy wrote:hey guys ive been doing c++ for about 2 years now and i am well versed in it. Ive been wonderiound if i should learn Sdl or Allegro to start with, to increase my knowledge. what do u guys think i should do??? also after i learn Allegro or SDL i wanna get into game engine development if you guys can name some great books or something that might help. plz and ty..
I'm sorry... I'm gonna have to call fake. :roll: . There's just something in your post that makes me think you have only basic knowledge of c/++ at best. So... that'll make game programming more difficult.
My first game C++/SDL Yoshi Combat! = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ9mMBEWSZg
==============================================================
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

http://www.lazyfoo.net has some excellent tutorials on how to get started with SDL, provided you have basic C++ skills. I suggest you start there and see where it takes you :)
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

adikid89 wrote:
froggy wrote:hey guys ive been doing c++ for about 2 years now and i am well versed in it. Ive been wonderiound if i should learn Sdl or Allegro to start with, to increase my knowledge. what do u guys think i should do??? also after i learn Allegro or SDL i wanna get into game engine development if you guys can name some great books or something that might help. plz and ty..
I'm sorry... I'm gonna have to call fake. :roll: . There's just something in your post that makes me think you have only basic knowledge of c/++ at best. So... that'll make game programming more difficult.
I'm not going to start pointing fingers but I have to agree, after two years you would have probably looked into SDL or Allegro irrelevant.

I started about 1/2 years ago and I never intended to get into game programming but I still stumbled upon SDL :)
eaane74
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by eaane74 »

I would suggest SDL over allegro, much better documentation and a really good dev community.
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

N64vSNES wrote:
adikid89 wrote:
I'm sorry... I'm gonna have to call fake. :roll: . There's just something in your post that makes me think you have only basic knowledge of c/++ at best. So... That'll make game programming more difficult.
I'm not going to start pointing fingers but I have to agree, after two years you would have probably looked into SDL or Allegro irrelevant.

I started about 1/2 years ago and I never intended to get into game programming but I still stumbled upon SDL :)
Definitely, it didn't even take ME that long. It was about a year after I started. Mostly because I started learning Java after a year of C++ and had already made text based games :P

Oh, and learn SDL, I definitely recommend it to start with. I only ever briefly used Allegro (Like 2 weeks total), then decided SDL was for me. So I have no idea what to say about that one.
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

MadPumpkin wrote:
N64vSNES wrote:
adikid89 wrote:
I'm sorry... I'm gonna have to call fake. :roll: . There's just something in your post that makes me think you have only basic knowledge of c/++ at best. So... That'll make game programming more difficult.

Definitely, it didn't even take ME that long. It was about a year after I started. Mostly because I started learning Java after a year of C++ and had already made text based games :P

Oh, and learn SDL, I definitely recommend it to start with. I only ever briefly used Allegro (Like 2 weeks total), then decided SDL was for me. So I have no idea what to say about that one.
I think I said that wrong lol, what I meant to say was I started allmost 2 years ago and I saw SDL/Allegro/D3D/PVR/GBADV/OGL etc about half a year into my programming "history"
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

It takes some longer than others. I know I didn't even try to learn C++ seriously until about a year after my first experience with it.
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog