mac or pc

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

TheDocta
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

mac or pc

Post by TheDocta »

I am going to be in college next year and my degree is in computer science. I was wondedring if I should get a mac or a pc I also want to design video games. Also PC gaming isn't a big issue for me. Let me know plz
Van-B
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: iPhone puzzle game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: All - Except Amiga
Programming Language of Choice: DBPro, ObjC++

Re: mac or pc

Post by Van-B »

Might be an idea to find out what platforms your gonna be developing on at college, what languages too. If it's mainly C++, your probably better off just getting a PC laptop - but if it's ObjectiveC, then a Mac would be pretty handy. Besides that though, what sort of development do you want to end up doing?. There are lots of smaller companies making iPhone games and apps, and I imagine that these are much easier to get into than bigger developers.
Health, ammo.... and bacon and eggs.
TheDocta
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by TheDocta »

I want to do probably animation just a lot of the designing I'm not exactly sure. Ill check out the platform also. I really wanted my laptop to be a a mac and then buy a desktop later
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

TheDocta wrote:I really wanted my laptop to be a a mac
Just answered your own question. ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

just quoted your own answer
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

k1net1k wrote:just quoted your own answer
What?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

hmm i suspect a bit of forum magical post removing douchery
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

NOTE: This post contains oodles of bias, but never the less may help you in your decision.

Apart from the programming bit, I feel that a Mac/OSX offers a better environment, its more intrinsic. Now this is just my opinion, but many that have used Mac/OSX will agree.

As for the programming bit, you can do virtually anything on a mac that you can on a PC, and literally if you install Windows on it if need be.

Apple has xcode, a very nice IDE, probably the best free one out there.

Also, the support you'll get is amazing.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by davidthefat »

PC == Personal Computer; Mac == Personal Computer;
∴ Mac == PC

That being said, I suggest investing millions of dollars to purchase a new IBM Roadrunner.

Do not fall into the Apple's marketing, get a generic PC. You do not need Mac for any reason, there are no advantages of getting a mac. Maybe better tech support, but I would not go for that. Macs are overpriced, simple as that. Proprietary is never a good thing IMHO. Hell even the Mac OS is a derivative of the UNIX system. They claim to be a revolutionary OS, but they are not.

IDK about you, but I will go for Linux.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

davidthefat wrote:PC == Personal Computer; Mac == Personal Computer;
∴ Mac == PC

That being said, I suggest investing millions of dollars to purchase a new IBM Roadrunner.

Do not fall into the Apple's marketing, get a generic PC. You do not need Mac for any reason, there are no advantages of getting a mac. Maybe better tech support, but I would not go for that. Macs are overpriced, simple as that. Proprietary is never a good thing IMHO. Hell even the Mac OS is a derivative of the UNIX system. They claim to be a revolutionary OS, but they are not.
ugh... Yes PC is a personal computer, but its also a type of nomenclature indicating a stock usually windows machine, and clearly that is what he was referring to, so no need to get all semantical.

How can you make VERY bold statements as, "You do not need Mac for any reason, there are no advantages of getting a mac." and "They claim to be a revolutionary OS, but they are not"

"Proprietary is never a good thing IMHO", well why is it not a good thing? 99 percent of the shit you touch daily have proprietary written all over them. Oh and btw... that IBM Roadrunner is chock and block full of proprietary technologies... *facepalm*

Could you clarify any of your statements?
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Kanoba Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC

Post by JaxDragon »

davidthefat wrote: Do not fall into the Apple's marketing, get a generic PC. You do not need Mac for any reason, there are no advantages of getting a mac.
iPhone/iPad development? Pardon me but last time I checked those were both very viable mediums for the budding software developer.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

davidthefat wrote: Do not fall into the Apple's marketing, get a generic PC. You do not need Mac for any reason, there are no advantages of getting a mac.
:lol:
In the past (PowerPC days) I might have considered myself as a die-hard Mac hater, but not without knowing my facts first. These days I find it quite difficult to hate on Macs, and am actually quite impressed with where Apple has gone in the past 5 years or so. Honestly the only two reasons I can think of not to get a Mac is a) cost and b) proprietary hardware all jumbled into a tiny ass space that's impossible to work on (which goes the same for any other laptop, so this really only makes a difference when considering a desktop computer).

If you can afford it, and think owning a MacBook is kick-ass, I say go for it.
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

dandymcgee wrote:
:lol:
In the past (PowerPC days) I might have considered myself as a die-hard Mac hater, but not without knowing my facts first. These days I find it quite difficult to hate on Macs, and am actually quite impressed with where Apple has gone in the past 5 years or so. Honestly the only two reasons I can think of not to get a Mac is a) cost and b) proprietary hardware all jumbled into a tiny ass space that's impossible to work on (which goes the same for any other laptop, so this really only makes a difference when considering a desktop computer).

If you can afford it, and think owning a MacBook is kick-ass, I say go for it.
That's just it though, why does is need to cost 1.5-2.5x as much because it's a mac? If the Mac OSX interface is really 1.5-2.5x as good as any interface you're going to get on a PC or you absolutely need a Mac for compatibility reasons, then sure, I can see it. But comparing interfaces, it really doesn't strike me as being so great by comparison and there's so few things you really need a Mac to do - especially now that they're losing their competitive edge in areas like graphical design, which I think is less Mac oriented than it used to be.

EDIT: And to ask this with a fair perspective, it is fair to assume that a computer's price (in most cases) is trivial compared to the productivity gains that it offers a programmer when you're developing professionally. If your efforts are worth 5-6 figures a year, then the price of the platform matters less compared to the productivity it affords you. Still though, what does the Mac offer that trumps the PC in this regard?
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

I can only tell me story.

When I first purchased my mac, i was rather hesitant. It was a lot of money. And even for the first month or so I was regretting getting it.
But I can say with a fair amount of confidence, that it is the best (for me) computer/OS i have used. and I have used all of em. Now I know this is just my opinion, but this should still at least tell you something. Unless apple change their formula, or I cant afford it, I probably will not buy a "PC" again.

I think the issue here that you are strictly looking at a computer as a tool, when clearly it has become something waaaay bigger than that. Its not just something to crunch numbers, its a "living space". I feel that apple pays great detail to the intrinsic nature of their products as a whole.

Read up on Christopher Alexanders work, you'll find it rather interesting.

Oh, as for media, in terms of what EccentricDuck said, was watching myth-busters last night, they used a mac. (Not that im saying that means they are top dog or anything, just they they are still visible in the arena)

In the end its a personal thing, and you should not be so much focused on price, you should just be happy with what you are using.
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS

Post by pritam »

avansc wrote:In the end its a personal thing, and you should not be so much focused on price, you should just be happy with what you are using.
Agreed, if you can afford getting something you really like, get it, it's a lot more motivating on a learning curve. For instance I really liked the first guitar I bought and that kept me playing more and more, although it wasn't expensive but it was *mine*.