Which Screen Capture Software?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Wii
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Which Screen Capture Software?

Post by Lord Pingas »

Hi. :)

I'm back, and I have just one question to ask and it is the following...

Which FREE screen capture software do you recommend for me to record my projects as I don't know which one will record the best with the least choppiest framerate on my Intel 4 Mobile Express GPU.

Thanks. :)
epicasian
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Gigazilla Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Which Screen Capture Software?

Post by epicasian »

Camstudio is the only open source/freeware one that I know of. I would grab the Camstudio lossless codec or the DivX codec pack for good quality.

Hope it helps :D

Edit: Post 200! TCR Jr Status WOOHOO!:D
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Kanoba Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC

Post by JaxDragon »

Hypercam2 is free. Its an amazing program, and runs well.
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Lord Pingas »

Hey thanks guys!

I checked out camstudio but it doesnt really run at a decent framerate when I run my game...

I also checked out hypercam and I think that one is my best bet as it runs at a decent framerate, and very smooth compared to camstudio.

I'm going to finish of my little pong game then upload it on youtube.

So far I got physics and AI working, all it needs now is some sound and a score system.

I'll post on the 'Game Development' forum once it's done and uploaded...

Thanks again guys. ;)
JGorard159
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Azareal Online: MMO
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Virtual Boy. LOL WUT!?
Programming Language of Choice: Javascript

Post by JGorard159 »

Noooooo! Don't use Camstudio, it's impossible to capture anything that actually moves!

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your game.
Savannah Cart of Ollege and Design

Current Project: Azareal Online. Visit us at: http://azareal-online.comuv.com
wearymemory
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by wearymemory »

JGorard159 wrote:Noooooo! Don't use Camstudio, it's impossible to capture anything that actually moves!

You assume that a program is broken because it doesn't work for you? Well, that reason's good enough for me!

I've never had this issue because I look for ways to fix frequently encountered problems/questions whenever I run into them. Would you look at that; apparently there's a solution to your issue:
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
http://camstudio.org/faq.htm#Optimize wrote:If you're recording yourself using applications with lots of movement (or recording a film or game playing) use the H.264 encoder in the FFDShow Tryout codec.

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net <- FFDShow Tryout Homepage

Encoder: H.264
FOURCC: H264
Mode: One pass average bitrate
Bitate: 900kbps

Audio Settings:

Good Quality:

Audio Codec: PCM (no compression) *
44100Hz, 16KBit, Mono

Good Enough Quality

Audio Codec: PCM (no compression)
11000Hz, 8KBit, Mono

* If I'm going to be creating Flash video using CamStudio or my video is short (10 mins-ish), I use the Good Quality settings.

* If it's going to be a longer recording/lots of movement, I sacrifice audio quality for a dramatically smaller final filesize.

* If I want to get High Def quality option when uploading to YouTube I'll either make the recording area 960 x 720 or 1280 x 720 (when using the H.264 encoder)

* Depending on what's being recorded, you can also attempt to decrease the final AVI filesize by switch the display colour depth to 16-bit (Control Panel > Display Settings)

Do a test video using the settings above.

If you get audio/video desynchronization, click the MCI Recording option in Audio Options for Microphone - it records the audio in the most basic uncompressed format (overriding any audio settings selected) but usually does the trick.

You can always import the AVI into VirtualDub (link below) and re-encode the audio into MP3 if you need a smaller filesize for uploading to YouTube.

There's no definitive set of settings, you have to test and make notes to see which gives you the best quality for the filesize.

And if that doesn't work, you can always throw away your computer, and get a new one.
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Lord Pingas »

JGorard159 wrote:Noooooo! Don't use Camstudio, it's impossible to capture anything that actually moves!

Thanks!

I just gotta get this font to render then I can get working on sound, then I'll get an upload on youtube...
wearymemory wrote:

You assume that a program is broken because it doesn't work for you? Well, that reason's good enough for me!

I've never had this issue because I look for ways to fix frequently encountered problems/questions whenever I run into them. Would you look at that; apparently there's a solution to your issue:
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
http://camstudio.org/faq.htm#Optimize wrote:If you're recording yourself using applications with lots of movement (or recording a film or game playing) use the H.264 encoder in the FFDShow Tryout codec.

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net <- FFDShow Tryout Homepage

Encoder: H.264
FOURCC: H264
Mode: One pass average bitrate
Bitate: 900kbps

Audio Settings:

Good Quality:

Audio Codec: PCM (no compression) *
44100Hz, 16KBit, Mono

Good Enough Quality

Audio Codec: PCM (no compression)
11000Hz, 8KBit, Mono

* If I'm going to be creating Flash video using CamStudio or my video is short (10 mins-ish), I use the Good Quality settings.

* If it's going to be a longer recording/lots of movement, I sacrifice audio quality for a dramatically smaller final filesize.

* If I want to get High Def quality option when uploading to YouTube I'll either make the recording area 960 x 720 or 1280 x 720 (when using the H.264 encoder)

* Depending on what's being recorded, you can also attempt to decrease the final AVI filesize by switch the display colour depth to 16-bit (Control Panel > Display Settings)

Do a test video using the settings above.

If you get audio/video desynchronization, click the MCI Recording option in Audio Options for Microphone - it records the audio in the most basic uncompressed format (overriding any audio settings selected) but usually does the trick.

You can always import the AVI into VirtualDub (link below) and re-encode the audio into MP3 if you need a smaller filesize for uploading to YouTube.

There's no definitive set of settings, you have to test and make notes to see which gives you the best quality for the filesize.

And if that doesn't work, you can always throw away your computer, and get a new one.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that and see if I should use that or not.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

http://www.decklink.com/products/intensity/

If you run OSX you can use screenflow, or a free alternative, which apple provides, Quicktime.

If you run linux, just use ffmpeg.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

$200 is hardly free.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

dandymcgee wrote:
$200 is hardly free.
Myeah, i just posted that as a what is the best way to do it, I followed it up with some software based alternatives, 2 of which are free.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"