Good Game Engines

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Ninico
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Top Down Shooter
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: Pygame

Good Game Engines

Post by Ninico »

Hello I want to know if there a any Game Engines that require no scripting or coding. Thanks! :)
epicasian
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Gigazilla Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Good Game Engines

Post by epicasian »

I'm not trying to be a douche here, but if you want to use game maker or some other software like that, the probably isn't the community for you.
PaperDuckyFTW
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by PaperDuckyFTW »

If your looking for something to start you off making games, I'd suggest Game Maker or Blitz Plus. You can 'obtain' a book called 'game programming for teens' which teaches you how to use blitz plus. (prety sure thats the name of the book).
ibly31
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Like... seven different ones
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Gamecube
Programming Language of Choice: C++, ObjC

Post by ibly31 »

If you are specifically looking for something that requires no coding... I can tell you thats not really something that exists or is good enough to make the games that you have in your mind. Its so much less hassle just learning to program than it is fiddling with the stupid programs to get the game to act the way you want. Plus, if you ever want to become a game maker for a job, you pretty much will have to learn to program - so why not get a head start?
Twitter
Website/Tumblr
My Projects

The best thing about UDP jokes is that I don’t care if you get them or not.
adikid89
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: small tiny-mini projects
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC I guess...
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by adikid89 »

You looking for a WYSIWYG MMORPG game engine? :lol:
My first game C++/SDL Yoshi Combat! = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ9mMBEWSZg
==============================================================
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by GroundUpEngine »

epicasian wrote:I'm not trying to be a douche here, but if you want to use game maker or some other software like that, the probably isn't the community for you.
lol... agreed
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

There is game maker, but you probably won't be doing any really great games in it. The only good game maker game i know of is Spelunky(and i guess the scripting feature of gm was used for that game). I'm not saying you will be doing great games with any programming languages for the first long time, but at least you will be learning something.
Image ImageImage Image
Ninico
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Top Down Shooter
Programming Language of Choice: Pygame

Post by Ninico »

So is there any places where I can learn to use the language? Or are there any languages out there?
dbomb101
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Side Scroller
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Gameboy, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox360, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Post by dbomb101 »

Well like the other guys said this isn't the ideal community to be asking these type of questions, but I do have a couple of recommendations none the less. The first is that you look into modding which is pretty much using a current engine and creating levels for it for example there is the source engine which comes along free with Half Life 2
(not brilliant to use) and then there is the unreal engine which is I hear is a pretty damned good modding tool. Although I haven't touched this one much I hear Unity 3D is a pretty good tool as well.

I would also suggest you go watch the latest getting into games development videos to get the low down on all your programming options.
epicasian
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Gigazilla Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, PS2, PC

Post by epicasian »

Here's Falco's getting started in game development series: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 7C7523EFFD
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

Ninico wrote:So is there any places where I can learn to use the language? Or are there any languages out there?
/RAGE
Khearts
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Super Mario Bros Clone and 3D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast

Post by Khearts »

GyroVorbis wrote:
Ninico wrote:So is there any places where I can learn to use the language? Or are there any languages out there?
/RAGE
whathesaid.
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

If you want to make games without programming and use gamemaker, then I suggest you leave because your kind isn't really welcome here.
If you want to make mods or levels for games, that don't require programming, this isn't necessarily your forum but IMO you're welcome here. If so I would recommend using Oblivions CS IV, Half-Life 2 Hammer to learn how, and then maybe move onto more advanced ones, or use the more powerful tools of those 2.

However, if you want to get started programming look into these, IN ORDER is highly recommended: (Cplusplus.com)
Don't be fooled by the extensive list, it's not as hard as it seems at first:
Hello World C++
Variables C++
Constants C++
Operators C++
Basic I/O C++
Control C++
Functions C++
Or you could always make my life easier than me posting the rest of them, and scroll to the bottom of each page and hit next.

Look into these once you can at LEAST recognize the above things:
Text Based Game C++
SDL graphics lib, seriously don't do this until you have learned all the above
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
JGorard159
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Azareal Online: MMO
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Virtual Boy. LOL WUT!?
Programming Language of Choice: Javascript

Post by JGorard159 »

Ninico wrote:Hello I want to know if there a any Game Engines that require no scripting or coding. Thanks! :)
I think we may be drifting from the point slightly here... There really is NO WAY you can create a game yourself without using some form of programming or another. Some Game Engines tend to disguise the fact that you're writing code by making it seem easy and intuitive, through some sort of GUI or similar system, but the truth with these systems is that it would be so much easier just to write the code yourself than use their fiddly, poorly designed system. Seriously, go and learn the basics of programming, I'd recommend learn Basic, Lua or Python first, as they are all ridiculously simple to learn, and they will teach you all the basic concepts of programming. Don't learn C or C++ first; as before you delve into such programming giants as C/++, you really do want to have a solid foundation of code knowledge to build upon.
Savannah Cart of Ollege and Design

Current Project: Azareal Online. Visit us at: http://azareal-online.comuv.com
JGorard159
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Azareal Online: MMO
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Virtual Boy. LOL WUT!?
Programming Language of Choice: Javascript

Post by JGorard159 »

Also, if you want to start creating quick and easy games straight away without spending hours learning programming and not really accomplishing anything through it, another route you could go down is downloading and using a precompiled engine (which will still require some scripting to get gameplay working, but it is much simpler than coding everything yourself).

I would highly recommend StoneTrip's ShiVa PLE Engine if you want to take this route. It's easy to use and set up, and the main programming language is Lua, which is incredibly easy to learn and you'll be able to make simple games very quickly. This will also teach you some of the basics of programming, and game creation, place you'll feel like you're accomplishing something :) . Maybe then transition up to Unity or another similar Game Engine (Unity is much more powerful, the main scripting languages are Javascript and C#, which are similar to C++. This means they are harder to grasp, but they will teach you some important things about the structure and syntax of languages like C++).

Hope I helped!
Savannah Cart of Ollege and Design

Current Project: Azareal Online. Visit us at: http://azareal-online.comuv.com