Cell - An Action Game

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Cell - An Action Game

Post by K-Bal »

So Austech's thread inspired me to present a little bit of my project. It's called Cell and it's going to be a network-based action game with... cells. Today I started a complete rewrite because of some major design flaws. For example the component-based entity system is the first thing I've done for this new iteration of deving. However, here are some videos of what I've already achieved in the first iteration:

There are also a number of other dev-videos, not really related to Cell on this new channel, so check it out! And I've already got a little update from today. I've implemented a debug logging system that can output to console or files. I was just having some fun and implemented a useless coloring system for the console:

Facts:
- Uses Boost, SFML, SFGUI and Box2D.
- Client-/Server networking model.
- The videos are quite old and the project was not worked on for the last two months, but I'm eager to do new stuff.

If you want to know more, just ask!

Cheers,
Marius
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Cell - An Action Game

Post by dandymcgee »

Intriguing concept for sure. Interested in seeing where this goes.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
TheAustech
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: BeatTapper
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++, C#

Post by TheAustech »

K-Bal wrote:So Austech's thread inspired me to present a little bit of my project.
Good start, good start.
K-Bal wrote:SIt's called Cell and it's going to be a network-based action game with... cells. Today I started a complete rewrite because of some major design flaws. For example the component-based entity system is the first thing I've done for this new iteration of deving. However, here are some videos of what I've already achieved in the first iteration:

There are also a number of other dev-videos, not really related to Cell on this new channel, so check it out! And I've already got a little update from today. I've implemented a debug logging system that can output to console or files. I was just having some fun and implemented a useless coloring system for the console:

Facts:
- Uses Boost, SFML, SFGUI and Box2D.
- Client-/Server networking model.
- The videos are quite old and the project was not worked on for the last two months, but I'm eager to do new stuff.

If you want to know more, just ask!

Cheers,
Marius
FUCKING AWESOME! :D
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

@austech-My thoughts exactly
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

Amazing, this looks sick!
There's no place like ~/
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

Thank you guys ;) I have to do some house work and go to one lecture at university. Then I will continue with the deving :twisted:
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by GroundUpEngine »

K-Bal wrote:Thank you guys ;) I have to do some house work and go to one lecture at university. Then I will continue with the deving :twisted:
Dude... sweeeeeeeeet project, you own. 8-)
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

Game States

So basically the next part of my rewrite is the game state system. Currently I have a game class that holds a stack of game states which are singletons. The principles are basically taken from here: http://gamedevgeek.com/tutorials/managi ... ates-in-c/. I'm not happy about some things:

1) Since states are singletons you obviously can't have more than one state of one type. It is fine for what I'm doing right now, but it looks messy to me.
2) States have startup and cleanup functions which are called on a state change. However, if a state triggers a state change, the change is instantanious. That means while the main function of the state is still running, it's cleanup function is called and the startup function of the other state is called. This is bad but should be quite easy to change.
3) To create a state I have to create a new class, let it derive from GameState and implement all the functions. It works well enough but it is kinda slow. I want to have something that allows rapid development of game structures, e.g. through scripting.
4) I'm wondering what would be the best way to share common data between states, e.g. the GUI. I currently keep that stuff as a member of the game class with get/set-methods. Don't ask me why, but somehow it does not feel right to me.

If you have ideas for one of those points, please post them. I have some thoughts on it, but I'd like to have some opinions and discussion before developing something that contains flaws.

Cheers,
Marius
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

First off, the game looks great :). Interesting concept, I must say :D. And as for your post about state machines, I just want to throw in that I'm curious about that as well... Every time I code something, that seems to be the weakest point :o. So any tips would be helpful for me as well :D
Milch
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Milch »

(To point 4)
I'm not sure if thats the best way, but I can tell you how I did it.
I made a signal system, so each gamestate ( in my case, each entitiy ) can recieve events from the main loop. ( kinda broadcast events - e.g pause,... )
Also, the same signal system is used to communicate between the different gamestates. ( e.g to pass the next map to load + the weapons the player has choosen )
Basically, I just passed byte arrays around.
Follow me on twitter!
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Milch wrote:(To point 4)
I made a signal system, so each gamestate ( in my case, each entitiy ) can recieve events from the main loop. ( kinda broadcast events - e.g pause,... )
Also, the same signal system is used to communicate between the different gamestates. ( e.g to pass the next map to load + the weapons the player has choosen )
I've been thinking about doing something similar... Qt inspired
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

Milch wrote:(To point 4)
Interesting. Who is the owner of the data then? The receiving state?
Milch
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Milch »

In my system, the owner of the data is the sending state and the recieving state just parses the char array it gets.
So I can reuse the same array over and over again and don't have to worry inside the recieving function about deletion of the array,
because it gets freed inside the destructor from the sending state.

But I'm sure if coded properly, it can easily be changed so the recieving state is the owner.
Follow me on twitter!
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

This really sounds like a bad excuse, but I have a visitor from Germany as a guest and I won't do anything until tuesday evening :lol: Bear with me :)
wearymemory
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by wearymemory »

Oh, I get it now; that thing in your first video is a cell! I thought it was going to be like rockin' ragdoll tits or something, where you could brutally maul some awesome boobage. For some reason, I'm less attracted to the videos now, but nice progress nonetheless.