Evolution SDK

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

lotios611
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Game engine for the PC, PSP, and maybe more.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Gameboy Micro
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Evolution SDK

Post by lotios611 »

I am developing a 2D SDK. The SDK consists of a reusable engine that uses SFML which draws heavily on Qt's design, and a level editor written in Qt.
Last edited by lotios611 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep." - Unknown
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Re: Dream Team SDK

Post by XianForce »

Well uhh... would you like to expand upon that? I mean that's still a little vague...
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

And I aspire to be the king of England. Best of luck to both of us!
Last edited by dandymcgee on Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by LeonBlade »

There's no place like ~/
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by MrDeathNote »

LeonBlade wrote:Image
Lol :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

SPAM IT :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:
lotios611
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by lotios611 »

I don't have much done yet, but you could check out the code I have at the google code page for this project.
"Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep." - Unknown
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

lotios611 wrote:I don't have much done yet, but you could check out the code I have at the google code page for this project.
Glad you took our "advice" and posted SOMETHING other than "I'm making [insert seemingly random project here]". :lol:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dejai
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by dejai »

Unlike the others that scrape around your post looking for a laugh I think it is great that you are starting a 2D game engine it is a great learning experience. I have been writing one since February and it is around 10 thousand lines of C++ and has lua integration for scripting behaviors and xml for storing data (not ideal but works on an indie scale). Code speaks louder than words I have often not been able to articulate my intention to this crowd so I just started writing the code and it seems to turn out a lot better in the end. Screen shots usually help but when you are developing an engine and not a game, art is not really your priority. Anyway best of luck with it just be ready to write a lot of code over a long period of time. :-) Keep on coding.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

dejai wrote:Unlike the others that scrape around your post looking for a laugh I think it is great that you are starting a 2D game engine it is a great learning experience. I have been writing one since February and it is around 10 thousand lines of C++ and has lua integration for scripting behaviors and xml for storing data (not ideal but works on an indie scale). Code speaks louder than words I have often not been able to articulate my intention to this crowd so I just started writing the code and it seems to turn out a lot better in the end. Screen shots usually help but when you are developing an engine and not a game, art is not really your priority. Anyway best of luck with it just be ready to write a lot of code over a long period of time. :-) Keep on coding.
Well yeah, I think we all wish the best of luck. But the post was just pretty vague. Really he/she just stated what tools he was utilizing, not really what he/she intended the engine to accomplish, or any other information really. I love seeing the progress of everyone's engines/games, and I just want more information on this project haha.
lotios611
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by lotios611 »

I've decided to switch to SFML to decrease the amount of code I have to write. Also, "It's a boy!" was said at my birth.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

lotios611 wrote:I've decided to switch to SFML to decrease the amount of code I have to write. Also, "It's a boy!" was said at my birth.
Haha alright xD. I just don't want to make an assumption, and offend anyone haha
lotios611
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by lotios611 »

I'm having troubles with some code. I'm trying to implement a dynamic 2D vector class. I've been working on it for the past weeks, and nothing I've tried worked. I don't mind using pointers if It'll be easier that way.

Here's the code:

Code: Select all

#ifndef DYNAMIC_ARRAY_2D_H
#define DYNAMIC_ARRAY_2D_H

#include <vector>

template <class T>
class DynamicArray2D
{
public:
	DynamicArray2D() : numberOfRows(0), numberOfColumns(0)
	{
	}
	T& operator()(int row, int column)
	{
		if (numberOfRows < row)
		{
			numberOfRows = row;
			data.resize(numberOfRows);
		}
		if (numberOfColumns < column)
		{
			numberOfColumns = column;
 			data[numberOfRows].resize(numberOfColumns);
		}
		return data[row][column];
	}
	T operator()(int row, int column) const
	{	
		if (numberOfRows < row)
		{
			numberOfRows = row;
			data.resize(numberOfRows);
		}
		if (numberOfColumns < column)
		{
			numberOfColumns = column;
			data[numberOfRows].resize(numberOfColumns);
		}
		return data[row][column];
	}
private:
	int numberOfRows;
	int numberOfColumns;
	std::vector<std::vector<T> > data;
};

#endif
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

lotios611 wrote:I'm having troubles with some code. I'm trying to implement a dynamic 2D vector class. I've been working on it for the past weeks, and nothing I've tried worked. I don't mind using pointers if It'll be easier that way.

Here's the code:

Code: Select all

[/quote]
ok first thing I noticed is that you're just encapsulating a vector<vector<T> >. Not a bad thing, but it also means you don't need to hold the width and height (if you're doing it in a [y,x] access style, which is how it usually is, the height is v.size() and the width is v[0].size()). Also, when you resize the width you have to resize EVERY vector in the vector<vector<T> > while for height you only have to resize the main one. I'm not really in the mood to write any c++ code atm, but I hope I gave you the idea.  ;)
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Dang beat me to it Ginto xD.