What Computer OS

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Zardaa
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Nothing
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Dreamcast
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: What Computer OS

Post by Zardaa »

David, you have now issues with hardy?
Image Image Image ImageImageImage
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by davidthefat »

Zardaa wrote:David, you have now issues with hardy?
No issues what so ever, only starts slowing down when I have like 10 tabs open with another program running, but I try to stay away from that situation :lol:
Zardaa
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Zardaa »

Hm...I may have to check that out! Do you recommend it?
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by davidthefat »

Zardaa wrote:Hm...I may have to check that out! Do you recommend it?
the newest one seems like the best version, but Hardy is alright I guess
Zardaa
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Zardaa »

Zardaa wrote:Hm...I may have to check that out! Do you recommend it?

davidthefat wrote: the newest one seems like the best version, but Hardy is alright I guess
Eh...the newest one is what I am getting rid of :)
jasongosen
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by jasongosen »

Ubuntu 10.04 is spankin'! :) I'm currently using Linux Mint 9 which is based off of Ubuntu. Unfortunately Winblows still has a grip on the majority of my hard drive, for gaming and whatnot. :( But Valve is soon launching Steam for Linux, so maybe that will change things.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

jasongosen wrote:Ubuntu 10.04 is spankin'! :) I'm currently using Linux Mint 9 which is based off of Ubuntu. Unfortunately Winblows still has a grip on the majority of my hard drive, for gaming and whatnot. :( But Valve is soon launching Steam for Linux, so maybe that will change things.
Yeah, Mint is awesome.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Zardaa
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Zardaa »

dandymcgee wrote:
jasongosen wrote:Ubuntu 10.04 is spankin'! :) I'm currently using Linux Mint 9 which is based off of Ubuntu. Unfortunately Winblows still has a grip on the majority of my hard drive, for gaming and whatnot. :( But Valve is soon launching Steam for Linux, so maybe that will change things.
Yeah, Mint is awesome.

/late replay

I have never got to try Mint
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Kanoba Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC

Post by JaxDragon »

Mint is basically an easier to use ubuntu. If you can work ubuntu fine, try and stick with that.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

JaxDragon wrote:Mint is basically an easier to use ubuntu. If you can work ubuntu fine, try and stick with that.
What, are you serious?? Ubuntu is a COMPLETELY different OS than Mint. They share the Linux kernel, and that is where the similarities end. I personally despise the new version of Ubuntu, and adore Linux Mint.

@Zardaa: Try them both and make your own opinions.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by JaxDragon »

Yeah...I tried mint. It was a watered down ubuntu. It had a few extra things, nothing spectacular. Maybe that was just at the time. I'll try the newest version. I know Ubuntu 10.04 is FANTASTIC and extremely fast.

Back when I tried mint it had horrible responsiveness, and I couldn't even get the graphical package manager to work right.

Time to boot up VirtualBox.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

JaxDragon wrote:Yeah...I tried mint. It was a watered down ubuntu. It had a few extra things, nothing spectacular. Maybe that was just at the time. I'll try the newest version. I know Ubuntu 10.04 is FANTASTIC and extremely fast.

Back when I tried mint it had horrible responsiveness, and I couldn't even get the graphical package manager to work right.

Strange, cus the new Ubuntu was slow compared to Mint for me, and ugly as fuck (easy fix.. but it says a lot about laziness of the release). Also Mint has a shit ton of apps installed by default for everything you could think of (Firefox, OpenOffice, Media player, DVD Burner, etc.). I'm not being biased either. I loved the older versions of Ubuntu; they were fast, organized, and beautiful.

In any case, FreeBSD is way the fuck better than all versions of Linux combined. ;)
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS

Post by pritam »

dandymcgee wrote:
JaxDragon wrote:Yeah...I tried mint. It was a watered down ubuntu. It had a few extra things, nothing spectacular. Maybe that was just at the time. I'll try the newest version. I know Ubuntu 10.04 is FANTASTIC and extremely fast.

Strange, cus the new Ubuntu was slow compared to Mint for me, and ugly as fuck (easy fix.. but it says a lot about laziness of the release). Also Mint has a shit ton of apps installed by default for everything you could think of (Firefox, OpenOffice, Media player, DVD Burner, etc.). I'm not being biased either. I loved the older versions of Ubuntu; they were fast, organized, and beautiful.

In any case, FreeBSD is way the fuck better than all versions of Linux combined. ;)
I'd like to think that Gentoo would be the best one keeping in mind that it doesn't come with anything except stuff really needed, I mean, you get to customize your setup from the beginning getting it exactly how you like it.
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by JaxDragon »

pritam wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:

I'd like to think that Gentoo would be the best one keeping in mind that it doesn't come with anything except stuff really needed, I mean, you get to customize your setup from the beginning getting it exactly how you like it.
Well I think ArchLinux might be a tad bit better if you want total control. It doesn't require you to build everything from source ;)

I tried FreeBSD in a virtualbox. I couldn't even get past installation. I need a graphical installer. I think freebsd has one, I just didnt know how to use it.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

JaxDragon wrote: I tried FreeBSD in a virtualbox. I couldn't even get past installation. I need a graphical installer. I think freebsd has one, I just didnt know how to use it.
What do you mean graphical? FreeBSD has dos-style graphics much like installing pre-XP versions of Windows. Sure it's not high res gloss, but it's perfectly functional. It's probably not the OS you're looking for anyways, as I need a reliable server to play with while I assume you're looking for a flashy alternative desktop OS. Mint does that for me. 8-)