Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Re: Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver

Post by Arce »

Though seriously, this was well worth the buy. I'm extremely pleased in every way.

It's classic enough to where I actually WANT to train those fuckers (instead of newfangled dumb shit I could care less about *cough*Pearl*cough*), the touch-screen isn't stupidass minigames (it's actually useful), storyline progression is enjoyable, music is incredible, and graphically I'm quite impressed. Plus the Poke'walker to seal the deal? WIN!

Those of you debating whether or not to get it due to owning Silver or Gold...Seriously, I'd say go for it. Especially if you haven't played either version in a few years.

And please don't let "not enough time to play" be the excuse either. I'm getting by just fine with 20 mins here and there.
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
ChrissyJ91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1/2
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by ChrissyJ91 »

I'll definetely be getting this at some point Gold was my all time favourite pokemon game, I remember saving up for literally months to get it and then played it for years. My cartridge is now unable to save data :( but this may be a fitting replacement (or it will fill in the gap until I buy another copy of Gold (Gameboy FTW!!!)). It'll be a while till I can afford it having just bought a pretty expensive computer 8-) (:() .
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Arce wrote:Though seriously, this was well worth the buy. I'm extremely pleased in every way.
Does "That's what she said" apply here? Ehh, what the hell. That's what she said.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

OMFG MY CHICKORITA JUST EVOLVED INTO BAYLEEF!!!!
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

GyroVorbis wrote:OMFG MY CHICKORITA JUST EVOLVED INTO BAYLEEF!!!!
:( I want to plaayyyy
There's no place like ~/
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

LeonBlade wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:OMFG MY CHICKORITA JUST EVOLVED INTO BAYLEEF!!!!
:( I want to plaayyyy
You are lucky, you could buy it. It hasn't been released in Europe, yet ;)
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I've got money and I'mma go buy it this week I think, and i have all spring break to play :D but I won't be walking much so the pokewalker won't get used much, but I might use it if we go somewhere, my dad and brother and I will be alone all next week, so we might go play laser tag and stuff, so it might actually come in handy :D

I'm going to get Soul Silver, and I'm thinking of starting with either totodile or chickorita... I restarted on gold and I'm using chickorita... So I'll probably do totodile. I'll post my friend code when I get it, if anyone has some pokemanz they would be willing to trade lemme know :D
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES

Post by hurstshifter »

So I caved and bought one. I wish I would have done it 2 days sooner though. About 50% of the people at Penny Arcade Expo in Boston this weekend had them and not only would I have clocked a billion steps but I could have connected my pokewalker to like over 9000 others. Got the Gold version and already have my first badge. Chikorita evolved into Bayleef last night :)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Damn it! I wanna play this :(
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Sweet =D

Dang, I've decided to actually train a team of pokemon, rather than just train a single pokemon like I have always done... And damn... now it's biting me in the ass >.> So hard to level this Pupitar =/
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

XianForce wrote:Sweet =D

Dang, I've decided to actually train a team of pokemon, rather than just train a single pokemon like I have always done... And damn... now it's biting me in the ass >.> So hard to level this Pupitar =/
Wow you used to just stick with one pokemon the whole game? That's ballsy. I always try to keep a balanced team. A good technique for leveling the weaker guys is to start them in the battle then instantly switch to one of the powerhouses so they split the xp. Trainer battles are good for this as they generally yield more xp. In pearl/diamond there was also an item you could have them hold which would automatically split xp even if you didnt use them, hopefully there is one of those in this game as well. My team right now is...

Bayleef
Spinarak (sp?)
Pidgey
Sandshrew

I've caught a few others but don't want to put them in my team.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

Also, I'm not sure if anyone has posted their's yet but we all need to post our friend codes for trading/battling. I'll post mine once I get home.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

That item is EXP Share, and it is in this game =D. I'm using it right now actually =D
Arce

Post by Arce »

Also, a cheap power-leveling trick, taking advantage of the fact that you retain experience after death:

1) Go spend all of your money at a store (so when you "die," you are losing nothing.)
2) Deposit all poke'mon in a box except the one you want to train. Hopefully it knows a dumb move like "leer" or something non-agressive.
3) Enter a gym. Battle the leader using your single poke'mon. Kill their first poke'mon, then purposely lose to the last one. That way, you can rebattle and get the experience of beating the gym leader's first poke'mon over and over until yours is actually strong enough to beat the whole gym alone. When this happens, spam a move like "leer" until you lose again, then swap to a new poke'mon and repeat process. :P
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Arce wrote:1) Go spend all of your money at a store (so when you "die," you are losing nothing.)
I just want to say, as an alternative, you can give your money to the mom so she saves it.