Staying Focused...

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Staying Focused...

Post by XianForce »

Anyone here have some tips on keeping focus? For the past few years, I've been finding it hard to maintain my focus in anything, but lately it seems to be worse. I seem to 'space out' a lot in various things, like homework, programming, and anything else for that matter.

Sometimes I could be solving a simple math problem , and it can take me like half an hour, when it should take a maximum of like 2-5 minutes. It's because I'm not maintaining my focus, and it's really starting to get annoying, and sucking a lot of my time away...

So anyone else have this issue, and/or have tips/solutions for it?
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Re: Staying Focused...

Post by Live-Dimension »

Generally I only have this issue when I'm lacking sleep/not eating right so I don't have the energy to really do stuff. I assume it's more complex then this but sometimes the issue is that simple. If your too busy you may find your not getting any decent, good sleep.
ChrissyJ91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1/2
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by ChrissyJ91 »

I have a rather large problem with staying foccussed I find the only time I don't is during weekends and holidays. I have to get up early in the morning to get to college and then get back in the evening by which point my level of awareness is reduced and I can't focus. I was falling rather behind on assignments but I've found by making use of free time at college more effectively; I take my laptop in everyday and get work done when I can, I am catching up by making time meaning I should have more free time overall.
The trick is to arrange your lifestyle in such a way that you can get necessary sleep, chores etc. done and still have a spare hour or two to get whatever you want to achieve achieved.
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Wii
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Lord Pingas »

Yeah, I sometimes have the same problem. I think you should just try to keep all the focus on that one thing.

For example, I'm trying to read the last parts of my C++ my book but Family Guy is on and I just lose focus on my book and start watching Family Guy. I think you should just do all the stuff you want to do then focus on your programming when you have got nothing else left. That seems to help me out a little bit.

Also I think this forum is being a distraction itself. Don't get me wrong, I love the forums but when I am reading my online SDL tutorial I lose focus and start browsing the forums. I think I should lay off the forums for a while and start learning some more.

Bye now ^_^

And ANOTHER thing. Eat something... When I eat something it cheers me up when I'm feeling down and also helps me focus some more. So just eat something. BEEF munch munch! :twisted:

Bye again.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

Listen to this and more of this. Will keep you focused

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vD7zHVWNngM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vD7zHVWNngM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
thbp
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Learn
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC/PS/GC/DC
Programming Language of Choice: C(++)/Perl

Post by thbp »

are you ADD? this could be the reason my sister is ADHD and let me tell youy it sucks. though you could just be having problems with sleap
XNA ========== eXtreme Nuclear Atomic
Wrestlers have three motion: side 2 side , circle, and stalk
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Lord Pingas »

thbp wrote:are you ADD? this could be the reason my sister is ADHD and let me tell youy it sucks. though you could just be having problems with sleap
Damn.
Everyone seems to have ADHD these days. Half of my class have it, apparently.
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS

Post by pritam »

Meditation helps, if done right it clears your mind the way a good nights sleep does, even a short five-minute meditation helps. It works great for me when I can't concentrate or focus on what I want to/should do.

Edit: Listening to music all the time also helps me get on my feet and damn, gotta love Rush! ;)
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Lord Pingas »

pritam wrote:Meditation helps, if done right it clears your mind the way a good nights sleep does, even a short five-minute meditation helps. It works great for me when I can't concentrate or focus on what I want to/should do.

Edit: Listening to music all the time also helps me get on my feet and damn, gotta love Rush! ;)
LOL, I was going to write meditation myself. :mrgreen:
But I can't mention meditation without saying it grants you psychic powers... Yeah, I'm that stupid. :lol:
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by pritam »

Lord Pingas wrote:
pritam wrote:Meditation helps, if done right it clears your mind the way a good nights sleep does, even a short five-minute meditation helps. It works great for me when I can't concentrate or focus on what I want to/should do.

But I can't mention meditation without saying it grants you psychic powers... Yeah, I'm that stupid. :lol:
Yeah, you know just the other day I learned how to levitate! Woooo! Well ok, not really :/ I wish I could though :mrgreen:
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Lord Pingas »

pritam wrote:
Lord Pingas wrote:

Yeah, you know just the other day I learned how to levitate! Woooo! Well ok, not really :/ I wish I could though :mrgreen:
Oh my God really?! I should totally meditate then, oh wait... You was only joking... Thanks for getting my hopes up. :(

Because you tricked me, I'm not going to give you the secret formula for immortality... HA! How do you like them apples? Oh shit I just said the ingredient... Oh sugar... Crap, I just did it again! :evil:
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by pritam »

Lord Pingas wrote:
pritam wrote:
Lord Pingas wrote:

Oh my God really?! I should totally meditate then, oh wait... You was only joking... Thanks for getting my hopes up. :(

Because you tricked me, I'm not going to give you the secret formula for immortality... HA! How do you like them apples? Oh shit I just said the ingredient... Oh sugar... Crap, I just did it again! :evil:
Hahaha
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Lord Pingas »

pritam wrote:
Lord Pingas wrote:
pritam wrote:
Lord Pingas wrote:

Hahaha
Oh and don't worry. Even though I said crap, it is not one of the ingredients. Trust me. ;)
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by pritam »

Lord Pingas wrote:
pritam wrote:
Lord Pingas wrote:
pritam wrote:
Lord Pingas wrote:

Hahaha
Oh and don't worry. Even though I said crap, it is not one of the ingredients. Trust me. ;)
Alright, thanks for pointing that out ;)
andrew
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by andrew »

XianForce wrote:Anyone here have some tips on keeping focus? For the past few years, I've been finding it hard to maintain my focus in anything, but lately it seems to be worse. I seem to 'space out' a lot in various things, like homework, programming, and anything else for that matter.

Sometimes I could be solving a simple math problem , and it can take me like half an hour, when it should take a maximum of like 2-5 minutes. It's because I'm not maintaining my focus, and it's really starting to get annoying, and sucking a lot of my time away...

So anyone else have this issue, and/or have tips/solutions for it?
I have the same problem, usually when I forget what I'm trying to accomplish. Try these:
http://www.k-state.edu/counseling/topic ... centr.html
http://www.davecheong.com/2006/06/21/11 ... g-focused/