What is the point of programming?

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

The Great
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

What is the point of programming?

Post by The Great »

I got this question from a friend today, and it kind of shook my beliefs as a programmer.
:shock2:
It made me think about something I've never really thought about before:
What is the point of typing code into a computer most of the day, working long weeks, etc...?

He said, "When you look back at your life in x years, do you want to remember all the programs you made?
I mean don't you want to do more with your life than write programs?"

I answered that programs can:
1.) Make life easier
2.) Make life more enjoyable
3.) Make breakthroughs in technology/science

So what is the big point of programming that I am missing? Tell me all the reasons that you program.
You may have never pondered about this before but seriously, try to come up with all the reasons that you write programs, and keep it specific.
Try to include, why a person should write programs.
:bow:
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: What is the point of programming?

Post by avansc »

tell your little brat of a friend every time he touched and enjoys practically anything electrical he can thank a programmer. (and many others including electrical eng, poly scie, chem and on and on and on).

the purpose of programming is to not do what humans cant, but to do what we can and do it in a fraction of the time.

there was a programmer involved in almost everything, fridges, microwaves, calculators, telecom, games, movies, practically any market. the car you drive. anything and everything.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

What is the point of sex?

Because it's fucking awesome.
The Great
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by The Great »

GyroVorbis wrote:What is the point of sex?

Because it's fucking awesome.
I'm sure that 99.9% of people can agree on that, but not everyone can agree that programming is "fucking awesome".

For example, I write programs as means to an end, even though I don't find it fun, and could thing of more fun things to do as careers.
Last edited by The Great on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ciidian
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Ciidian »

The Great wrote:
For example, I write programs as means to an end, even though I don't find it fun, and could thing of more fun things to do as careers.
I wouldn't program if it wasn't fun for me. I do it because I enjoy it not because it's a means to an end. Why would you want to do something with your life that wasn't fun for you?

I say the point of programming is that it's something that is enjoyable. We wouldn't have all the advances in technology we have now if people did not enjoy the work that they do.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES

Post by hurstshifter »

The point of programming is to challenge yourself to accomplish a difficult task. There are few feelings in this world greater than the successful execution of a program that you have been working on for weeks/months/years on end. Except, of course(as Falco has wisely stated), sex.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

altho sex is awesome, and programming is awesome, those are not the reasons for it. lolz.
having sex while sky diving.. now the reason for that is awesome.
The Great
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by The Great »

It bothers me that:

Society looks poorly upon the career of programming. Most of all, the stereotype, nerds. Most people would imagine a 250 pound guy with glasses and horrible acne sitting around and writing math operations into a computer all day, and I know better, but I am starting to see it the same way.

It takes hundreds or thousands (weeks, months, years, etc.) of lines of code just to make a program that may actually do something useful.

I don't like programming because of these problems, and the fact that I don't have the motivation to learn how to make the things I dream of making, so programming essentially becomes a means to an end.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES

Post by hurstshifter »

The Great wrote:It bothers me that:

Society looks poorly upon the career of programming. Most of all, the stereotype, nerds. Most people would imagine a 250 pound guy with glasses and horrible acne sitting around and writing math operations into a computer all day, and I know better, but I am starting to see it the same way.

It takes hundreds or thousands (weeks, months, years, etc.) of lines of code just to make a program that may actually do something useful.

I don't like programming because of these problems, and the fact that I don't have the motivation to learn how to make the things I dream of making, so programming essentially becomes a means to an end.

So you don't like programming because you're a lazy ass? Great. One less person to worry about helping on these forums.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

since when does society think being a software developer is a poor choice of a career???
you realize that the richest man in the world is a programmer by trade.
The Great
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by The Great »

I mean in terms of its stereotype. The whole StillAVirgin concept.

So would you agree that one should not look for fun in programming, but rather decide to learn how programs work, and let the fun come naturally?
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

The Great wrote:I mean in terms of its stereotype. The whole StillAVirgin concept.

So would you agree that one should not look for fun in programming, but rather decide to learn how programs work, and let the fun come naturally?
err, idk man, thats completely up to you. if you dont like it now you probably wont ever. id rather be a happy plumber than a unhappy programmer.
programmers are very much a corporate breed these days. and i think people know it. they might even think its more sexy than what it is with the renditions
tv make of it.. i mean id become a hacker just to get into teenaged angalina jolie's pants. shit id do it to get in her pants as it stands now...
thbp
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Learn
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC/PS/GC/DC
Programming Language of Choice: C(++)/Perl

Post by thbp »

really why do they make cars ??? it makes life easier people like to do and well IT'S LIKE FUCKING AWSOME
XNA ========== eXtreme Nuclear Atomic
Wrestlers have three motion: side 2 side , circle, and stalk
fingerfry
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, PC, Gameboy Advance SP

Post by fingerfry »

I program because, when I achieve the finished product, I feel like a badass. It is uplifting when you run the 2D platformer that you spent so much time trying to get up and running, and it finally does. The best phrase to describe a program when you're finished is: "THAT IS SO BITCHIN!"
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

Programming is one my creative outlets, I find it completely awesome to create something out of nothing or to work on things in similar fashions to those in the industry whom I respect.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."