Difference between MUD and MMORPG

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

EdEown
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Difference between MUD and MMORPG

Post by EdEown »

Hey again :P

I know waht MUD is. It is text base online game. Something like Ogame or Travian and stuf like that. MMORPG game is online game with graphics like
Guild Wars or World of Warcraft.

I want to know is the writen code of MUD simular to MMORPG? Because they should be, the diffrence is only that MUD does not use graphic while MMORPG is using it. If you have code from Ogame for example and use that same code together with graphic would it be possble ? :shock2:

"There is nothing either good or bad, but our thinking makes it so"
Milch
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Difference between MUD and MMORPG

Post by Milch »

I dont know exactly what a MUD is - but from the games you named, all of them are not realtime.
WoW,Guildwars -> realtime
Ogame,Travian -> not realtime
So it isnt possible.
Follow me on twitter!
Master Jake
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Master Jake »

MUD stands for Multi-User Dungeon, which is basically a text-based multi-player RPG game that is generally played through a MUD client (or defaults to Telnet).

I used to play them... a lot. Check out this article for a more descriptive analysis of a multi-user dungeon.

(read article)
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Bakkon »

Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Wii

Post by Lord Pingas »

I think there would be difference compared to a text based RPG and a graphics RPG...
You got to deal with you all your rendering which is obviously a pain in the ass when writing a game engine. You would have to write a level editor to put the graphics where you want unless you want to do it the "hard" way and write it all in a .txt file. And many other things :P
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Post by short »

Lord Pingas wrote:I think there would be difference compared to a text based RPG and a graphics RPG...
You got to deal with you all your rendering which is obviously a pain in the ass when writing a game engine. You would have to write a level editor to put the graphics where you want unless you want to do it the "hard" way and write it all in a .txt file. And many other things :P
There is definitely a difference, I spent some time developing for an open-source server emulator for WoW. I did it for the learning experience, because, I was interested in how modern day mmo's were written. My point is, you spend all your time passing information, nothing about graphics. Most of that is handled via client. So, if you were willing to redo all the code from turn based to real-time, I think it could work. You would just have to update your clients with graphics, and your server to handle said client with new graphics.

Would I do it that way though? Probably not. Huge pain in the ass in my opinion, but I do think it is possible.
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
Joeyotrevor
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Joeyotrevor »

In MUDs, you pretty much send everything you want the client to see on their screen to the client, stuff like room descriptions, notifications, etc. In a graphical networked game, you send the client data like player positions which the client keeps track of to draw models/sprites.

Code: Select all

eb 0c 48 65 6c 6c 6f 20 77 6f 72 6c 64 21 31 d2 8e c2 30 ff b3 0a bd 02 7c b9 0b 00 b8 00 13 cd 10 eb fe
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Ask MarauderIIC, he has some experience coding MUDs or an MUD... IDK which :D