My first 3D Model!!!

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

My first 3D Model!!!

Post by MadPumpkin »

This is my first 3D model that's anything more than a shape. I don't know how good it is but it's been like 3 days... So yea.

Please comment! I'd like to know how it looks!

While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
lotios611
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Game engine for the PC, PSP, and maybe more.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Gameboy Micro
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: My first 3D Model!!!

Post by lotios611 »

It looks way better then I can do.
"Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep." - Unknown
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

Wow, i have messed around with blender serveal times, and read about it. I still cant produce anything more than a weird looking shape...
Good job.
Image ImageImage Image
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS

Post by pritam »

Nice work ;) keep it up
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

For your first attempt at something beyond simple shapes this is pretty damn good. Something like this would be a good to work off of to get a more detailed model as well. I'd suggest saving a copy and refining this as practice.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

Besides the green arrow coming out of his ass.. :P

Just kidding, of course, looks pretty good. If this is your first 3d model, then you are a natural. ;)
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Haha wow, that's sweet.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Kanoba Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC

Post by JaxDragon »

Very good. Especially for first non-shapey project. Only gripe is it's low-poly, but mine generally consist of about 6, so who am I to judge?
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Awesome model, looks great!

I tried doing a body myself a few weeks ago, looked really blocky and out of proportion :(

MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

Thank you everyone so much for the replies! I was actually pretty excited about how well I thought I did for my first try... Like I said I don't know how well that was...
OrinCreed wrote:For your first attempt at something beyond simple shapes this is pretty damn good. Something like this would be a good to work off of to get a more detailed model as well. I'd suggest saving a copy and refining this as practice.
JaxDragon wrote:Very good. Especially for first non-shapey project. Only gripe is it's low-poly, but mine generally consist of about 6, so who am I to judge?
Well the low poly was intentional. I'm not saying I'm better than you think I am or anything, I'm just saying that it did look a LITTLE bit better in the torso and biceps before I cut out a lot of shapes and replaced them. I wanted to make it low poly because I'm not sure how my first 3D game engine would handle something to big. So until I'm better at programming AND modeling, animating, etc. I'm going to stick with this type of low poly crappy detail model.

I don't know if the fact that this is for a game changes your opinion about the poly count, but yea... In fact I really don't even know if low poly is that big of a deal... I'm surprised I even know what a poly count is. I am FAR from experienced as a modeler... I'll be posting him with a texture once I figure out how this damn UV crap works.

GroundUpEngine wrote:I tried doing a body myself a few weeks ago, looked really blocky and out of proportion :(
That actually looks pretty good! This was my first attempt at ANY model my brother said that modeling organic creatures came naturally because he can't do it AT ALL. However, his tanks, buildings, (non organics) look great.
So your model: Out of proportion, yes. Bad, no. Especially for your first attempt at a human.
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by MadPumpkin »

This one I guess is a little bit more proportional. In my opinion it looks better. Also shrunk his damn head and made his groin look better.
Constructive feedback is preferred over stupid criticism, thanks!
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Kanoba Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC

Post by JaxDragon »

Very good. I like it. Poly count isn't that big of a deal, it's the quality of the model that matters, not how many polygons are used. Very good model.

I'm just not sure it measures up to my master standards. I mean really, just look at my masterpiece:
[/sarcasm]
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

JaxDragon wrote:Very good. I like it. Poly count isn't that big of a deal, it's the quality of the model that matters, not how many polygons are used. Very good model.

I'm just not sure it measures up to my master standards. I mean really, just look at my masterpiece:
[/sarcasm]
Dude! I'm floored! You just floored me!! Naw good one man :D lol

Looking good on the re-proportioned model. Like I said before it's a great spring board model to learn with. :) Keep up the good work I hope to see more.

As for poly count most games today seem to work in a range of 5 to 8 k for character models. The rest of the details are tricks of light and normal maps. Still I'm not sure what your engine allows so work within whatever limits are set for you. I'm still learning but I've managed to create some cool crap on a low poly budget. I can't remember if I posted it else where on the forums so I'll pop it here. This guy was made with about 5700 poly. Never got to texture if because it was on a HD that failed. Haven't been able to recover it yet. :( Anyhow that's just an example of what can be turned out when you budget your faces well. As I said I'm still learning but I'd be glad to help if I can. I don't come around to often lately since my animations have tied up a lot of my time but feel free to drop a PM here on the forums.
I still hate those launchers....
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by MadPumpkin »

JaxDragon wrote:I'm just not sure it measures up to my master standards. I mean really, just look at my masterpiece:
[/sarcasm]
Jax... That's some of the best shit I've seen in my life... And I really mean it... It is complete and dire shit xD.
OrinCreed wrote:Looking good on the re-proportioned model. Like I said before it's a great spring board model to learn with. :) Keep up the good work I hope to see more.

As for poly count most games today seem to work in a range of 5 to 8 k for character models. The rest of the details are tricks of light and normal maps.
Thank you both very much for the advice on modeling and poly count xD now my model won't look like it was made by an 8 year old haha.

Where do I check for poly count in blender??
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

Never used Blender so I'm not sure how to find poly count display in that program.Tried doing a web search but most pages are blocked at work so no luck finding an answer.