Scripting Language Options

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Scripting Language Options

Post by hurstshifter »

Hey Guys,

I've decided that I'd like to start learning a higher level scripting language on the side while I am primarily working on C/++ projects. I was hoping I could get some opinions on a language that would be fun to learn and useful to boot. This language does not have to be catered towards game development as I really want to learn something that is versatile and could be applied to many different applications.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Scripting Language Options

Post by Falco Girgis »

If it isn't necessarily game development related then I would say Python or Ruby. Perhaps Perl.

Python and ESPECIALLY Ruby are both powerful languages. Ruby is becoming increasingly dominant for high-level scripting language use these days.
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

My only experience with scripting languages is Python which i have used to solve some of the problems on http://projecteuler.net/ and i've found it very usefull for that.
Image ImageImage Image
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I myself have been wanting to look into ruby, but I'm not sure what I would use if for, can someone gimme some examples or something...

Ps. I am too lazy to google this (unless you guys are too lazy to tell me) :lol:
hayk0510
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by hayk0510 »

+1 for Python.

I am making games with it right now, as well as developing apps and utilities for my desktop, and just starting to make web apps with Django, which I think it is going to be a very popular framework in the near future. Plus Python is included in almost all Linux Distros. I mean, unless you are writing game engines or libraries, there isn't any reason that you cannot use Python for game development. (Indie game development on the PC that is. :) I'm not talking about AAA titles or console games)
"Manually managing blocks of memory in C is like juggling bars of soap in a prison shower: It's all fun and games until you forget about one of them."
Kros
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: N/A
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Playstation/2/3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Kros »

hayk0510 wrote:+1 for Python.

I am making games with it right now, as well as developing apps and utilities for my desktop, and just starting to make web apps with Django, which I think it is going to be a very popular framework in the near future. Plus Python is included in almost all Linux Distros. I mean, unless you are writing game engines or libraries, there isn't any reason that you cannot use Python for game development. (Indie game development on the PC that is. :) I'm not talking about AAA titles or console games)
Awesome signature. I lol'd

edit: I have nothing on topic to add.
Isaac Asimov wrote:Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
YouTube Channel
ansatsusha_gouki
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by ansatsusha_gouki »

I've been thinking about learning Python every since I got my Associate's Degree this past March...Havent really program nothing since then...I need to get off my lazy ass and go back to programming...I'm only lazy because my last projec for my Programming degree was brutal... :cry:
Bludklok
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: EnigmaCore
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, N64, Playstation1, Playstation2

Post by Bludklok »

ansatsusha_gouki wrote:I've been thinking about learning Python every since I got my Associate's Degree this past March...Havent really program nothing since then...I need to get off my lazy ass and go back to programming...I'm only lazy because my last projec for my Programming degree was brutal... :cry:
I've been in you're position many times before.
Youtube
Website
Current project: Enigma Core
Kros
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: N/A
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Playstation/2/3

Post by Kros »

The grammar rape, it hurts.
Isaac Asimov wrote:Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
YouTube Channel