Wii Port?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

speewave
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Wii Port?

Post by speewave »

I didn't know where to post this but, um, if you ES Guys are interested, I can help out with a Nintendo Wii Port ....

Wii Can Support:
[*] SD Card for putting the game on
[*] MOD and OGG support - which is fine, i can convert both with out loss of quality
[*] PNG and JPEG - (Same as above)
[*] All The Fancy Wii Remote Functions (except the speaker) - Can use the Gamecube\Classic Controllers and Nunchuck
[*] Mostly Everything :)

What i might have to do :
[*] Port LUA to Wii
[*] Support DVD Reading (just for those who want it on a DVD or people who have small SD Cards)
[*] Possibly Modify the Engine to support the Wii's Graphics library, (GRRLIB) which makes less lines and more effects. - Depends on how the code works out still
[*] Add any "Wii Specific" Functions you guys Want in there

Send me a message, I would be glad to answer any questions...
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Wii Port?

Post by hurstshifter »

If not ES, I would certainly like to see some other homebrews on Wii. This requires a hardmod if I'm not mistaken. Probably something the ES team would like to avoid.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

hurstshifter wrote:If not ES, I would certainly like to see some other homebrews on Wii. This requires a hardmod if I'm not mistaken. Probably something the ES team would like to avoid.
and the psp doesn't???
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

eatcomics wrote:
hurstshifter wrote:If not ES, I would certainly like to see some other homebrews on Wii. This requires a hardmod if I'm not mistaken. Probably something the ES team would like to avoid.
and the psp doesn't???

Nope, you can do everything with software on the memorystickDuo. Now that I think about it, the Wii also has an SD card slot so maybe there is a soft way of doing things. I'd be interested to learn about that.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

hurstshifter wrote:
eatcomics wrote:
and the psp doesn't???

Nope, you can do everything with software on the memorystickDuo. Now that I think about it, the Wii also has an SD card slot so maybe there is a soft way of doing things. I'd be interested to learn about that.
Welp thanks for the knowledge, I havn't kept up with all this new homebrew stuff... You know cause I havn't gotten a new console in a looong time... well I did get my 360 but who needs to mod that :)
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

hurstshifter wrote:This requires a hardmod if I'm not mistaken.
You are mistaken. It is incredibly easy to softmod. See wiibrew.org.

Speewave, GRRLIB would be a poor choice of graphics library. GL2GX would be more suitable.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

JS Lemming wrote:

Speewave, GRRLIB would be a poor choice of graphics library. GL2GX would be more suitable.

Excellent
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

JS Lemming wrote:

Cool I could probably do it right now... but I have no desire at the moment... But thanks for the link :worship:
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

I already have a softmodded wii, and I'm planning to port the game that I'm working on to it... No offense, but if they wanted to port it to wii it probably wouldn't be too hard to do it themselves, so it is unlikely that they will accept :|
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Ginto8 wrote: No offense, but if they wanted to port it to wii it probably wouldn't be too hard to do it themselves,
Yes, especially since Falco likes to do stuff himself, whether it's difficult or not.
so it is unlikely that they will accept :|
Yes, but also due to the fact that we're not planning on a Wii port (as far as I know) and we don't know speewave. So, I think I can safely say thanks for the offer, speewave, but we're not interested at this time. :)

Hope I didn't embarrass you, but I figured the etiquette was, public offer -> public response.
On a personal note, if you make some homebrew Wii games on your own, I'd be interested in seeing them.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
rolland
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Starting an Android app soon
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1, N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by rolland »

Reading over some specs for the Wii and DC, I don't see any glaring issues regarding a Wii port. However, you should wait for official word from Falco. He is God.
speewave wrote:What i might have to do :
[*] Port LUA to Wii
I think that's already been done with http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Lua_for_Wii. You might have to port toLua++.
speewave wrote:[*] Support DVD Reading (just for those who want it on a DVD or people who have small SD Cards)
This may interest you regarding this massive feat: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Disc_Loader
speewave wrote:[*] Possibly Modify the Engine to support the Wii's Graphics library, (GRRLIB) which makes less lines and more effects. - Depends on how the code works out still
Like JSL said, GL2GX http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Gl2gx might be a better choice. However, it would probably be adding wii code to libGyro, not mucking about in the engine.

On the whole, I would love to see a Wii port. It would probably be the crown on my Wii Homebrew Collection.
EDIT:
All "you"s contained above refers to anyone (but probably Falco). Also, Mar is god too.
I'll write a signature once I get some creativity and inspiration...
speewave
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by speewave »

Well Thanks for the response,

For those who want a softmod wii, download bannerbomb and hackmii installer (select Homebrew Channel and DVDx) - Bannerbomb uses a menu exploit so you dont need to have twilight princess like in the past ! (www.wiibrew.org)
On the whole, I would love to see a Wii port. It would probably be the crown on my Wii Homebrew Collection.
Beats the many Pong Clones and Emulators out there :P , totally

This may interest you regarding this massive feat: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Disc_Loader
I Did Hear about this and it was kind of what i was aiming for but actually i was going to make the game code read from SD or DVD this way the game can be updated with out downloading the Data, this way it can be on Homebrew Browser and easily updated and maintained
Like JSL said, GL2GX http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Gl2gx might be a better choice. However, it would probably be adding wii code to libGyro, not mucking about in the engine
I know a bit about GL2GX (Never Tried It) but i know GRRLIB would be less codes and still supporting some Wii Functions and Hardware Effects ( Like B@W, Some SNES Effects, Blur, and some oldschool Demo effects) it was going to be dependant on more what the code looked like, but it might have been GL2GX because it was programmed in OpenGL....
Hope I didn't embarrass you, but I figured the etiquette was, public offer -> public response.
No harm done , just didn't know who to send it to so i just posted it on the forums and thought someone from ES would see it and possibly get some feedback on the idea, (which worked very well) and it would totally be bad*** if u decided to port to Wii one day :) and the offers still available...
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

You wouldn't have any problem at all getting it on Wii, but we are going to have to decline a Wii port--at least for now. We are targetting Dreamcast and PSP first, perhaps when we're done, there might be a Wii port. But I'm also very much the kind of guy who loves to tinker with new hardware, so I may wind up just wanting it all to myself. ;)

We're a closed source project also. There won't be any source released (to port) at least until ES is released on PC, DC, and PSP.

Both Lua and toLua++ are extremely easy to port. They should both compile through GCC straight out of the "box." I had absolutely no problem on Dreamcast, and I don't envision having any at all on PSP.

As far as bottlenecks, the only real one imposed by DC and PSP is VRAM. Wii blows the two out of the water, so that's not an issue.
rolland
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Starting an Android app soon
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1, N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by rolland »

GyroVorbis wrote:You wouldn't have any problem at all getting it on Wii, but we are going to have to decline a Wii port--at least for now. We are targetting Dreamcast and PSP first, perhaps when we're done, there might be a Wii port. But I'm also very much the kind of guy who loves to tinker with new hardware, so I may wind up just wanting it all to myself. ;)

We're a closed source project also. There won't be any source released (to port) at least until ES is released on PC, DC, and PSP.

Both Lua and toLua++ are extremely easy to port. They should both compile through GCC straight out of the "box." I had absolutely no problem on Dreamcast, and I don't envision having any at all on PSP.

As far as bottlenecks, the only real one imposed by DC and PSP is VRAM. Wii blows the two out of the water, so that's not an issue.
Great news for us Wii fans. And yeah, I can understand not including Wii support right now (surely three consoles is enough for now).
I'll write a signature once I get some creativity and inspiration...
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

Screwing with stuff like that is only second to sex with me. I would port it to Virtual Boy and Sega 32x if I had time.