Where should an 11-12 year old Start?

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Where should an 11-12 year old Start?

Post by XianForce »

My brother wants to get into programming and he's 11 right now. He's a pretty sharp kid, so I was thinking he could probably start off with Python and work his way up from there. But does anyone else have any other recommendations?
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Where should an 11-12 year old Start?

Post by MarauderIIC »

I dunno, maybe Ginto does :)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

lol...

GINTO WHERE THE CRAP ARE YOU?
Rhys
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Learning from my C++ book.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC. Lurv it.
Programming Language of Choice: C++.

Post by Rhys »

Start by navigating windows.
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: The Awesome Game (Actual title)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Cabbage, Ground beef
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Netwatcher »

I've started this year(age 16) with python, then after about two months went to C++, mostly from looking at C++ code repeatedly...
I regret I didn't start at an early age, could've done so much by now...

Python is a great start, I don't know about your brother though, maybe Visual Basic will be better for him.

if he had experience with a program like RPG maker, that could be a plus, you can make some simple scripts there and you get the hang of programming... well kinda...
did he had any exposure to things of that kind(Game makers,HTML or any other mark-up language, etc...)?

Cheers,
Netwatcher
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."
-Derek Powazek, http://powazek.com/posts/1655

blip.fm DJ profile - http://blip.fm/Noobay
current code project http://sourceforge.net/projects/vulcanengine/
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

Throw him in at the deep end!

I'm being serious, explain to him WHY you use code to program, and what it leads to, tell him to learn the fundamentals of programming, coach him if you will, let him play around with the console and them drop him into the world of a programming library ;)

when it comes to programming, almost all programming languages follow have similar/the same constructs, I find C++ constructs to be raw and flexible, so I would suggest that you teach him that.

But that's just my opinion, all i'm saying is, I would have LOVED to have had someone to tell me how to set up a C++ compiler, and get me started at age 11, I was very confused about how to actually get started until I was about 14, so being given some simple advice would have been super :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
Martijn
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Martijn »

I'd say YOU teach him C++ or C#.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

programmerinprogress wrote:Throw him in at the deep end!

I'm being serious, explain to him WHY you use code to program, and what it leads to, tell him to learn the fundamentals of programming, coach him if you will, let him play around with the console and them drop him into the world of a programming library ;)

when it comes to programming, almost all programming languages follow have similar/the same constructs, I find C++ constructs to be raw and flexible, so I would suggest that you teach him that.

But that's just my opinion, all i'm saying is, I would have LOVED to have had someone to tell me how to set up a C++ compiler, and get me started at age 11, I was very confused about how to actually get started until I was about 14, so being given some simple advice would have been super :)

Well he's used GameMaker stuff. I explain programming to him, but if I throw him in at the deep end, I don't want him to think it's too hard for him at that age, because it's not. Then he'll wait til he's my age to start, then he'll be like me, wishing he started earlier. It's all about him learning the basics to set him up for more difficult stuff like C/C++, C#, Java, etc.

I was thinking maybe a game making language (I think Blitz is one?) But I'm not sure on how difficult that is, never even seen it.

Anyone know how difficult Blitz is? (I think that's the name of it, but I doubt it is, it's probably something similar...)
Innerscope
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Gridbug
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: Obj-C, C++

Post by Innerscope »

Anyone know how difficult Blitz is? (I think that's the name of it, but I doubt it is, it's probably something similar...)
I think BlitzBASIC is a really good language for someone that age to start with. That and Yoyo Games' Gamemaker.
When I was that age (maybe a bit younger) I used CocoaDR3 (note: not the API) and Stagecast. Then around 12-13 I started using VisualBASIC.
Website (under construction) : http://www.timcool.me
rolland
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Starting an Android app soon
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1, N64

Post by rolland »

I agree with PiP--start him on c++. Maybe I'm just biased because it was my first language, but I found it to be a very simple way to start.
I'll write a signature once I get some creativity and inspiration...
Innerscope
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: Obj-C, C++

Post by Innerscope »

I'm going to disagree with everyone who said start with C++. There's a lot of advanced concepts that I'd imagine an 11 year-old would have trouble understanding. Sure, he could have a console based program up and running in a reasonable amount of time, but I'll assume that's not very enticing for a kid his age.
Website (under construction) : http://www.timcool.me
Pickzell
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Pickzell »

GAME MAKER!!!
I'm an altogether bad-natured Cupid.
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

I'm also voting that you throw him straight into C.

I'd say all the scripting I did before C and C++ was a complete waste of time for me. I could easily have picked up C with only marginally more effort than the shitty stuff I was using, so I'd say he spend that extra effort to go straight into the deep end than learn a whole language then have to re-learn for a new language.
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Well the goal is to get him used to the basics. He has passion for it, I set him up on Game Maker because I thought it was a good place to start at such a young age (he was like 8). Now he wants to start the actual programming, but Python/BlitzBasic (thanks for the name Innerscope, couldn't remember it for the life of me). Python/BlitzBasic should get his feet wet and teach him the basics, and start getting used to the dev process. I was thinking he could start something that will be more worth while like C/C++, C#, Java, etc.

I'm thinking of just showing him some real real basic stuff in C++, just so he can get an idea of what's going on, and if he handles it well, keep going, but if it's too much for him, take a step back to Python or BlitzBasic.
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: The Awesome Game (Actual title)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Cabbage, Ground beef

Post by Netwatcher »

yea, get him to C/++! (biased opinion, but most people here are biased towards C, so it's ok I think :lol: )
game maker is a good start, but you don't have to take that huge step back to python, you can let him play with C#'s XNA.
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."
-Derek Powazek, http://powazek.com/posts/1655

blip.fm DJ profile - http://blip.fm/Noobay
current code project http://sourceforge.net/projects/vulcanengine/