Where Are All The Ska Fans At?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: www.keedepictions.com/Pewpew/
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Where Are All The Ska Fans At?

Post by Maevik »

Here, I guess. Damn!

I was reading through the profile topic and found that theres a lot of ska fans here. I had no idea Ska had become so popular in the middle of the country! I noticed RBF and MMBT and a few other's in the AIGD vids, but didnt think anything of it. It's very cool to see people still really love the stuff, I had stopped following the scene after I graduated high school (01) and sincerely thought it had either died or was on it's last legs. But since you guys might appreciated it, I'll share a story with y'all about when I got to eat dinner with Aaron Barret.

I was a senior in high school, some friend and I were off to see our buddy's ska band (Suburban Legends) in at Chain Reaction in OC. I brought a girl who I had really been into and was excited to actually have a date with her. Well the opening act for the show was a band called "Scrotum Kiss" which was actually Suburban Legends in 80's hair-metal costume, playing covers of all the epic hair-metal songs, only not on their normal instruments. The girl I took said "This is loud, terrible, and I think I'm going to go." I told her it was a gag, I pointed our friend out on stage to her, but she still wasn't feeling it, so she got a friend to pick her up and left and I was crushed. We stuck around for the show (which was fantastic, her loss.) After the show we all went to the Denny's next to the venue. We got a large table cause we beat the crowd there. After about half an hour we see Aaron Barret and his girl come in and put on the wait. I went over to them and asked if they wanted to sit with us, we had plenty of room. He probably would have said "no" if it werent for the few guys from Suburban Legends eating with us, but he didn't and so we hung out for a few hours. His g/f had noticed my argument with the girl I brought earlier and wanted to offer her advice on it, which essentially boiled down to "fuck her, you can do better." Aaron was actually pretty quiet and low key, although I did get an autograph which read "To Chris: Mussa Fuzza. PS. Mikey Sucks"
My love is like a Haddoken, it's downright fierce!
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Re: Where Are All The Ska Fans At?

Post by MadPumpkin »

haha i LOVE ska man lol that aquabats concert was awesome, SL was there they opened for them.
TMMB are the best in the world though!
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Maevik »

Yeah, Aquabats are one of my favorites! I got to see them at the Glass House with Save Ferris! Great band. Their guitarist played "Hit Me Baby One More Time" with hand farts. Spectacular.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Dude, fuck yeah!

Last summer, we drove 16 hours to see the Mighty Mighty Bosstones at West Palm Beach, Florida.

At the beginning of this semester Peter and I went to go see Reel Big Fish and Streetlight Manifesto. After the show, Peter and I partied with Aaron Barrett of Reel Big Fish (singer, guitar).

We love ska here.

edit: my lover, Kendall, also really loves ska. You gotta find a girl who has taste. ;)
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

GyroVorbis wrote:Dude, fuck yeah!

Last summer, we drove 16 hours to see the Mighty Mighty Bosstones at West Palm Beach, Florida.

At the beginning of this semester Peter and I went to go see Reel Big Fish and Streetlight Manifesto. After the show, Peter and I partied with Aaron Barrett of Reel Big Fish (singer, guitar).

We love ska here.

edit: my lover, Kendall, also really loves ska. You gotta find a girl who has taste. ;)
i still hate you for going to that concert.
my sister would hate you for hanging with Aaron lol
Streetlight Manifesto and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones are seriously the best though
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

wow one of my friends totally been going on about ska for months, and I didn't realise what it is, but after I looked into it, I think I might be in to it! :mrgreen:

I shall have to consult them ASAP!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
Orgodemirk
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Orgodemirk »

Dude, Suburban Legends? Half of them went on to be in Avenged Sevenfold.
A glitch?
Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Maevik »

Orgodemirk wrote:Dude, Suburban Legends? Half of them went on to be in Avenged Sevenfold.
Yeah, Justin and I think their drummer at the time (i mainly knew Aaron.) God that was along ass time ago. But yeah, I went to a few bonfires with them and we used to run into them at "the Block" (big stupid outdoor mall in OC). They were all real cool guys and they put on a helluva show!

I also got to briefly meet Dan Regan at the filming of Baseketball. They filmed most of the arena stuff down the street from my house at CSULB. They didn't let us keep the giant "Beers" hats :(