Mario: The Last Castle is Completed!!!

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Mario: The Last Castle is Completed!!!

Post by JS Lemming »

:D Finally! After about 1 whole month, the game is done! It doesn't have its own page yet do to the lack of my web dev, but it will soon. Anyway, check it out:

http://www.thechaosrift.com/pc/projects ... Castle.zip

Post your comments and high scores too.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Don Pwnious
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Don Pwnious »

Nice i will beat it by friday
1/8th time- 14secs
1/8th speed - 110mph
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I've been playing like all night. I just couldn't get passed level 4 on the real version. So I busted out the prerelease JSL sent me, and beat that (well, bowser wasn't finished so I got to him). I have no skill, I know... :oops:

I loved every bit of it. I was walking, then on like level 5 (I think) Like 20 of them thwomps come raining down over my head. I quickly seek shelter under a platform. Later, I'm exploring pipes, and to my surpries I wonder in and about a thousand swarming Goombas had their way with me... :?

Those killer goomba and koopas were REALLY surprising. As much as I hated them bastards, they were awesome. 90% of the time, that's what killed me.

Has anybody else had a sounds problem? For some reason I can't hear any sounds but .Wavs. The midis don't seem to work. Wierd...

Travis, you just showed up Shigeru Miyamoto. He couldn't do better.
Don Pwnious
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Don Pwnious »

Yeh i am having some midi trouble.
I only got to level 4 on my first try.. :D
1/8th time- 14secs
1/8th speed - 110mph
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Midi trouble! What happens? No music at all? Hey SS, does the music work in the dev version I sent you???
Don Pwnious
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Don Pwnious »

yep no music at all. :shock:
1/8th time- 14secs
1/8th speed - 110mph
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

I've got all music and sound.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Okay, my computer gets absolutely NO midi music whatsoever from the game.

Later, I ran it on Arce's computer and some REALLY bad stuff happened.

The game was LITTERALLY black and white. Sound and music worked perfectly, but graphics were completely distorted as far as color goes.

I tried it at at school today and everything worked perfectly. That was on Windows 2000.

Perhaps your game doesn't like Windows XP?
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

The game was LITTERALLY black and white. Sound and music worked perfectly, but graphics were completely distorted as far as color goes.
I think I know the reason for that one. I frequently altered Gamma to make the fading transitions. I suppose some computers don't like that? As for the sound, I am totally clueless. It works perfectly on mine and Mars as he said. Hey Mar, do you have xp?

Well, it doesn't matter now much anyway. You will never see a blitz game from me again (unless something HUGE changes). I just hope C++ won't let me down like blitz did when it comes to it.

So, from the working part of it, do you like it? Too easy? Too hard?
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Yeah, I have XP.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Also, I've noticed that on my computer, when I push pause and the "Click escape to exit, or enter to resume" or whatever, when I press enter, it escapes anyway :cry:

I almost made it to bowser and I had to start all over...
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

I don't get it. Why would compiled code act differently on very similar operataing systems? C++ wouldn't act like that would it? Please tell me!

Falco, you got it good. The ability to program something that looks and acts exactly as you see it. That's what is cool about consoles.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Okay, overall this is what I thought:

The blood was truely a great aspect. At first, I was a bit critical, because I pictured blood spurting randomly from all directions like the comics. No, your blood was fantastic. It looked reall like Tony Hawk's pro skater or Mortal Kombat. A+ on that.

Difficulty. Yes, I thought it was hard. The learning curve was about 20 minutes then I got really good at it and began to kick the games' ass. I think it is either perfect or a little too hard. Definately not too easy. Probably around perfect though.

Levels. Lord, lord lord. I can't praise you enough. They were truely ingenious. You never saw Mario World with stuff like that. Sure, they could have it, but they didn't. I think that is an advantage you had. You aren't just a game designer, but you've played the game. You know what aspects you liked, and you knew others would like it too. Unlike Shigeru Miyamoto, who isn't even a gamer.

Levels had multiple paths which were really nice. Lots of times I'd fall off a platform and be able to take a second route through the level, something nice and not having a boring level.

The thowmp level was like A++++! I was so not expecting that. That was GREAT. I took cover under the platforms and waited. NICE.

Also, I could tell you really put effort into it. I could see the thwomp's faces perk up when I neared them, and the ground even shook when they hit.

I think you put lots and lots of effort into it, and it really is a masterpeice. It saddens me that certain computers are unable to run Blitz's inferiority considering all of the effort you put into it.

Oh well. But please, join me my brother as we become SDL programmers together!
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Wow! Thanks Super Sonic! I'm glad you liked it.

: Plows through SDL tutorials. :
Orgodemirk
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Orgodemirk »

The game worked perfectly on my computer but for some reason this I just don't understand but everytime i click the mouse the windows flash as if lightning was flashing outside.
A glitch?