Flash

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Flash

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

I was toying around with Adobe Flash last year, to make 2D animations with. But i remember seeing that the program is also used to make video games. Would that make it like Game Maker, allthough it has some scripting involved i believe? What do you guys think; worth looking into or not?
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Re: Flash

Post by RyanPridgeon »

Yeah, I used flash for about 5-7 years.#

It's by no means a game maker; it cannot make games by itself. However, it is good at making games, because the graphics engine and IO is done for you. Also, the Flash environment serves as a powerful editor.

On top of this, there's the added advantage of being able to embed it in any web page, and a huge audience out there.

The script is almost identical to Java.
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
wtetzner
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: waterbear, GBA game + editor
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Game Boy Advance
Programming Language of Choice: OCaml

Post by wtetzner »

RyanPridgeon wrote:The script is almost identical to Java.
Actually I think the script is almost identical to JavaScript, not Java.
The novice realizes that the difference between code and data is trivial. The expert realizes that all code is data. And the true master realizes that all data is code.
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by RyanPridgeon »

Not really. It used to be, but things have changed.

Here is an example;

Code: Select all

package com.example
{
	import flash.text.TextField;
	import flash.display.Sprite;

public class Greeter extends Sprite
	{
		public function Greeter()
		{
			var txtHello:TextField = new TextField();
			var Greet:String = "Hello, World!";
			txtHello.text = Greet;
			addChild(txtHello);
		}
	}
}

That is a simple "Hello world" program in the new Actionscript.

That looks a hell of alot more like Java than Javascript
Ryan Pridgeon
Music | Blog
wtetzner
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: waterbear, GBA game + editor
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Game Boy Advance
Programming Language of Choice: OCaml

Post by wtetzner »

RyanPridgeon wrote:Not really. It used to be, but things have changed.

Here is an example;

Code: Select all

package com.example
{
	import flash.text.TextField;
	import flash.display.Sprite;

public class Greeter extends Sprite
	{
		public function Greeter()
		{
			var txtHello:TextField = new TextField();
			var Greet:String = "Hello, World!";
			txtHello.text = Greet;
			addChild(txtHello);
		}
	}
}

That is a simple "Hello world" program in the new Actionscript.

That looks a hell of alot more like Java than Javascript
Well that's basically what ECMAScript 4 (Javascript 2) looks like. And even if it looks a lot like Java, it still behaves like Javascript. For example, Javascript (and Actionscript) both have closures. Java doesn't.
The novice realizes that the difference between code and data is trivial. The expert realizes that all code is data. And the true master realizes that all data is code.
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

its been a while, but if you have any specific questions ask me :} i can help you, i did AS2 for 3 years, specifically video games

Yea its mostly like JavaScript 2

if you want you can just send me PMs for flash questions, i check the chaos rift like... twice a day, er when ever the hell i want
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

Wow, this is a huge surprize and i have question for basically everything you guys said.  My first question is why dont more people use Flash then, or at least i never hear about it on the forums? there must be a reason... it must have some limitations.
RyanPridgeon wrote:  It's by no means a game maker; it cannot make games by itself. However, it is good at making games, because the graphics engine and IO is done for you. Also, the Flash environment serves as a powerful editor.
if flash is not like gamemaker, then what can it be compared to? is it it's own language? and if so, wouldn't it need an API? is that what you meant by saying it cant be used by itself?
wtetzner wrote:
RyanPridgeon wrote:The script is almost identical to Java.
Actually I think the script is almost identical to JavaScript, not Java.
also, what's the difference between java and javascript?
MadPumpkin wrote:its been a while, but if you have any specific questions ask me :} i can help you, i did AS2 for 3 years, specifically video gamesYea its mostly like JavaScript 2if you want you can just send me PMs for flash questions, i check the chaos rift like... twice a day, er when ever the hell i want
and yea... if Flash ends up being ok, i might take you up on that. thanks!
kostiak2
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by kostiak2 »

BlueMonkey5 wrote:Wow, this is a huge surprize and i have question for basically everything you guys said.  My first question is why dont more people use Flash then, or at least i never hear about it on the forums? there must be a reason... it must have some limitations.
People don't use flash? go to sites like miniclip, or newgrounds or the like.. they have a new game every day almost.. (which means lots of people are using it) It just happens that the people that are using flash are not here. (of course, like anything else, it has it's limitations)
if flash is not like gamemaker, then what can it be compared to? is it it's own language? and if so, wouldn't it need an API? is that what you meant by saying it cant be used by itself?
Flash has ActionScript, which is both a language and an API.
It's not like gamemaker, in the sense that in game maker, you can do the whole game without writing a single line of code. That's not the case in Flash. You have to actually code here.
also, what's the difference between java and javascript?
Apart from the name and a few keywords they have very little in common actually. javascript is a scripting language that use java-like syntax.
and yea... if Flash ends up being ok, i might take you up on that. thanks!
I would suggest using AS3 and not AS2 (especially if you never used AS2 before)
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

Sounds good, thank you. think i'll look into it a bit more. I never really had a desire to learn something similar to Java, but what the heck i'll give it a shot anyway. I'm really curious to see if i could use a seperate sprite editor like GraphicsGale along with Flash. I'm sure it's possible.
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

and not only that, but now i'm wondering if you can create something using C++ or Python, and make it playable through Flash (export it to Flash player or something), so you can put it online much easier. i know nothing about how that works though, so its just a thought.
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

kostiak2 wrote: Apart from the name and a few keywords they have very little in common actually. javascript is a scripting language that use java-like syntax.
I have not tried javascript, but when you read a tutorial on java, people seem to use a lot energy telling that the only thing they have in common is the name.
Image ImageImage Image
kostiak2
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by kostiak2 »

BlueMonkey5 wrote:and not only that, but now i'm wondering if you can create something using C++ or Python, and make it playable through Flash (export it to Flash player or something), so you can put it online much easier. i know nothing about how that works though, so its just a thought.
So very very unfortunatly no.. but don't worry, LOTs of people want that.. (and doesn't seem yo be coming soon).
Rada
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Rada »

I'm an Actionscript developer. I absolutely love it. having a graphics editor built into the IDE is really kick ass. I'd be happy to answer any questions about Flash game development. Flash can also be used with Adobe Air to create Win/Mac applications.
"When the individual becomes aware of the part he can play in directing his own life --and when he accepts the responsibility that goes with the freedom of this inner authority -- then he is better able to sight his course of action with more accuracy." ~ Virginia M. Axline.
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by RyanPridgeon »

Actually, you can now compile most C++ source code using Adobe Alchemy, for a Flash Player 10 file.

One good example is this;

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/470460

But I would still recommend you learn AS3 if you want to be dealing with Flash.
Ryan Pridgeon
Music | Blog
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

Rada wrote:I'm an Actionscript developer. I absolutely love it. having a graphics editor built into the IDE is really kick ass. I'd be happy to answer any questions about Flash game development. Flash can also be used with Adobe Air to create Win/Mac applications.
I would like to know everything about it, but i don't understand anything you just said. sorry, I'm a newbie.
RyanPridgeon wrote: But I would still recommend you learn AS3 if you want to be dealing with Flash.
whats AS3?