Visual C++ Express and Distribution

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: www.keedepictions.com/Pewpew/
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Visual C++ Express and Distribution

Post by Maevik »

So I finished my first game, a pong clone, and was going to post it here and hopefully get some feedback. However, I built it with Visuall C++ Express and am not having much luck figuring how exactly I need to go about compiling into something that I can distribute. I've found limited info on how to do this and nothing yet has been much help. Does anyone have any advice on this?
My love is like a Haddoken, it's downright fierce!
ChrissyJ91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1/2
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Re: Visual C++ Express and Distribution

Post by ChrissyJ91 »

this should help http://www.graphicscode.com/Articles/VC ... tchas.html

from what I have gathered from this you can't create an .exe using the express edition (probably ms way for forcing people to buy the full version, makes little sense to me I thought the idea was to help enthusiasts and students?) I've been trying to figure out how to do it myself. I guess the only solution if you want to distribute your program is to change your compiler to codeblocks or devc++ etc. hope that helps.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Read this thread and let me know if any of it works for you. http://elysianshadows.com/phpBB3/viewto ... stribution
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: www.keedepictions.com/Pewpew/
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Maevik »

>< sorry about the repeat post. I did a search on this before posting, but I guess I was looking in the wrong forum. That topic never resolved but I'm trying some of the suggestions. More info when I make some headway.
My love is like a Haddoken, it's downright fierce!
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

Please tell me if you get anywhere.
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

i don't get it; what exactly is Microsoft Visual C++? if i'm running windows and just want to learn regular C++, what's best to use?
Ewan
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Ewan »

BlueMonkey5 wrote:i don't get it; what exactly is Microsoft Visual C++? if i'm running windows and just want to learn regular C++, what's best to use?
This is Microsoft Visual C++:

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/

Well, the Express Edition - which is free. I don't know if it's the best, but I like it and lots of other people do too :)
They pull out the truncheon, that's when the trouble starts.

'Cause when you've got a badge, the laws don't apply.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

MSVC++ is MS's C++ development stuff. It's very lenient on #includes (for instance, I didn't have to #include <cstdio> to use printf(), although I should have). Has a nice interface. Apparently hard to distribute for.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

No its easy to distribute if you buy Visual Studio( Not Express). Then you can just create a setup project and your done. For the rest of the people who don't buy visual studio we have to find some other way to distibute.
kostiak2
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by kostiak2 »

herby490 wrote:No its easy to distribute if you buy Visual Studio( Not Express). Then you can just create a setup project and your done. For the rest of the people who don't buy visual studio we have to find some other way to distibute.
It's actually very easy to distribute from VS (Express). All you need to do is to compile your program in "release" mode. Once you have done that, you will get an .exe file in *projectDirectory*/Release.

Now you can send that .exe file with all needed dlls (that depends on what libraries you are using in your code for example if you use SDL, you will need to include sdl.dll) to someone else. If they have VS installed they will be able to run it, if not, just let them download the Redist.

If you get errors compiling in "release" mode, post the errors, and I may be able to help you.
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

Yeah but I don't want to make people download the redist because if I make a game that I feel is good enough to distribute and I create a website to post it on I do not want to tell everyone who download it to install the redist because some people might not know how or be afraid to do it.
kostiak2
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by kostiak2 »

herby490 wrote:Yeah but I don't want to make people download the redist because if I make a game that I feel is good enough to distribute and I create a website to post it on I do not want to tell everyone who download it to install the redist because some people might not know how or be afraid to do it.
Well It's a simple windows installer (standard next,next,done) and it's just 1.7 MB so you can include it with you game.

Another way is to just include msvcp90.dll and msvcr90.dll files to your distribution (The installer includes those same files, but it puts them in the system, so you don't have to include them with every project).
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

I have tried that and I even ran Depends.exe to find out exactly what dlls my program was using and I transferred all of them onto my other computer.
kostiak2
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by kostiak2 »

herby490 wrote:I have tried that and I even ran Depends.exe to find out exactly what dlls my program was using and I transferred all of them onto my other computer.
And? What happened? What went wrong? Did you put the dlls in the same directory as the exe? Can you provide the files so I can look at them?
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

I have to agree with Herby on this one, and also take Marauder's word for it that it's apparently harder to distribute for, since he is a game developer. I mean, of course it is possible to distribute with it I am sure, logically thinking; BUT is it the most convenient?? So that brings me to the question, for people using windows what are the other options opposed to using Microsoft Visual C++? What are the other best C++ compilers available for windows that we can consider? Anyone?