Visual C++ Express and Distribution

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Re: Visual C++ Express and Distribution

Post by herby490 »

I made a step by step guide to what I did in this post
http://elysianshadows.com/phpBB3/viewto ... art=999999
it is the third post from the last post and when I ran it it gave me the usual error which is something like won't work try reinstalling it.
Edit: Blue Monkey to answer your question I have been using the Mingw compiler with the Code::Blocks IDE since I could not find out how to redist VC++. If I find out how I will change compilers.
kostiak2
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by kostiak2 »

Ok, you say didn't work.. Did it give an error? did it do anything?
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

Yeah it said something like its not working we don't know why try reinstalling it. That was the error XP gave me
kostiak2
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by kostiak2 »

herby490 wrote:Yeah it said something like its not working we don't know why try reinstalling it. That was the error XP gave me
Can you get the exact error? This will help..

I have deployed a couple of projects.. so it's possible.. don't give up :)
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

Ok here is the exact error:

Code: Select all

F:\Test\test.exe

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling this application may fix the problem.
yes I am running it off my flash drive but it does the same thing with the exception of location if I post the folder on my computer. Thanks for all your help so far.
kostiak2
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by kostiak2 »

herby490 wrote:Ok here is the exact error:

Code: Select all

F:\Test\test.exe

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling this application may fix the problem.
yes I am running it off my flash drive but it does the same thing with the exception of location if I post the folder on my computer. Thanks for all your help so far.
This is a wild guess and I may be wrong (and will keep looking for a solution) but, Do you happen to use VS2005?

If you do, you will either need to get msvcp80.dll or (even better) upgrade to VS2008.
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

Nope I have Visual C++ 2008 Express
kostiak2
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by kostiak2 »

OK try#2:

In the project properties go to Configuration Properties - C/C++ - Code Generation - Runtime Library. Change the setting from Multi-threaded DLL (/MD) to Multi-threaded (/MT) and then rebuild the project.
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

I read somewhere that you can not patch something made with that.
kostiak2
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by kostiak2 »

herby490 wrote:I read somewhere that you can not patch something made with that.
What?

Just try to change the setting.. rebuild the project.. and test the new exe file.. (with dlls of course)
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

That works as expected even if I delete the dlls. While compiling it said it was embedding manifest which it has not said before do you think that is why it is not running the other way.
kostiak2
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by kostiak2 »

herby490 wrote:That works as expected even if I delete the dlls. While compiling it said it was embedding manifest which it has not said before do you think that is why it is not running the other way.
So it works on the other computer? Im not sure what it does exactly, but it was some kind of linking problem with the VS runtime.
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

I read some where while trying to learn how to redist it that creating a MT was bad since it left you unable to patch your application. Is this true.
kostiak2
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by kostiak2 »

herby490 wrote:I read some where while trying to learn how to redist it that creating a MT was bad since it left you unable to patch your application. Is this true.
What do you mean "patch"? I don't know advanced patching technics (which involve bitwise file manipulation), but the most basic way to "patch" your program, is to replace the exe file with the new exe file. So that's how you "update" your program..

I just say, cross the bridge when you come to it, and I don't think you will need advanced patching any time soon.
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

Yeah i guess I won't need it unless I create super advanced programs with exes that are like 500megs