Dreamcast Developers

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Dreamcast Developers

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

OK, whats up with people still developing for the Dreamcast, and how long has this been going on for without me knowing about it!? Who else out there is still doing this, and how are they doing this... like how is it technically possible? I don't think the Elysian Shadows team is going to give up their secrets... or will they?

From my research it's being done through PC, and also from obtaining old hardware called the Dev Box. But either way, the final product has to be licensed so it may be legally distributed, and has to be a playable GD-Rom that works on any DC. So... who knows about this?? cough it up!
deryni21
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Re: Dreamcast Developers

Post by deryni21 »

BlueMonkey5 wrote:OK, whats up with people still developing for the Dreamcast, and how long has this been going on for without me knowing about it!? Who else out there is still doing this, and how are they doing this... like how is it technically possible? I don't think the Elysian Shadows team is going to give up their secrets... or will they?

From my research it's being done through PC, and also from obtaining old hardware called the Dev Box. But either way, the final product has to be licensed so it may be legally distributed, and has to be a playable GD-Rom that works on any DC. So... who knows about this?? cough it up!
no idea but your being aggresive
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

They go over this in their videos, watch some of the getting started videos:

Dreamcast Development:
http://dcemulation.org
http://gamedev.allusion.net/softprj/kos/
http://dreamcast-scene.com

Is a list from one of the videos from Gyro's account.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

dont listen to these bafoons. just feed your dreamcast salami sandwiches and talk to it nice and she will let you into her panties. metaphorically speaking of course
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

avansc wrote:dont listen to these bafoons. just feed your dreamcast salami sandwiches and talk to it nice and she will let you into her panties. metaphorically speaking of course
Yup.. He's Baacckkkk! :roll:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

avansc wrote:dont listen to these bafoons. just feed your dreamcast salami sandwiches and talk to it nice and she will let you into her panties. metaphorically speaking of course
Damn straight he's back! :lol:
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

OK, you're going to find this link interesting:

http://www.angelfire.com/hero/herculesdc/DCWinCE.html

I just recently ran across it, and it made me remember that when the DC came out, Sega set it up so that practically any private game developers can make a game for the system. That was one of the original intents, but I guess that idea just kind of fell through the cracks... BUT you can apparently still see the remnants of this remarkable marketing approach to this very day, which is very impressive.

But the question is this: Is the Sega Dev Box (HKT-01) the only way to do it? You'll notice a picture of the back side of this DC development unit in the link (scroll down halfway). The page looks like official Microsoft instructions for the Windows CE tools used for DC development. I want to see more people picking this stuff up resulting in a relapse of Dreamcast titles. That would be pretty wild. Anyway, very cool stuff... I was blown away... check it out for yourselves and let me know what you think.
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

oh, and btw... avansc is the man
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

BlueMonkey5 wrote:oh, and btw... avansc is the man
Yeah, and the sky is blue too!

No but seriously that's some pretty crazy stuff. It would be awesome if enough people got back into homebrew Dreamcast to make it noticeable. I need to find myself a DC somewhere.. hmmm.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Haha, no offense, but you've been wrong about almost everything, BlueMonkey. ;)

Nothing needs to be licensed. The Dreamcast can boot CDR's without any modification also. We are using a homebrew tool that forces the Dreamcast to boot any executable we send over the ethernet/lan connection.

I compile to an elf, then I send it over the network. Dreamcast runs it.

And since all of the tools are completely homebrew, there is nothing illegal and nothing that needs to be licensed.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Going to drop the terms KallisiOS and cygwin here.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

GyroVorbis wrote:Haha, no offense, but you've been wrong about almost everything, BlueMonkey. ;)
he says "almost everything", because he knows i really am in fact the man.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

:lol: Dreamcast rules!! It seems extremely hard to find a Sega Developer Kit (the Dev Box HKT-01), but it sounds like you may not even need it. It's just as hard to find a price. One source said it was $5,000 when it first came out, and I saw a couple used prices ranging from $400-700.

I'm now wondering if it's even worth getting one; what are the benefits of having this piece of equipment, other than it's official Sega developer hardware... and very awesome? If the Elysian Shadows team is porting to Dreamcast from PC, maybe using the Dev Box isn't necessary?
Arce

Post by Arce »

reverse that order: porting from Dreamcast to PC. XD
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

porting FROM dc to pc.... ok, i'll take your word for it. I'm just an artist after all (for now, at least) :)
dreamcast dev.JPG
dreamcast dev.JPG (20.2 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Here's the front side of the unit; if I attached the pic correctly you should be able to see it. From what GyroVorbis was saying, it sounds like they don't use this thing... so does anyone know what its used for or how to use it?