Can I make a 2d mmo using c#

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Re: Can I make a 2d mmo using c#

Post by Arce »

Eatcomics, if you seriously want to get into the gaming industry, being a tester is usually a great way to get your foot in the door...How you go about recieveing that position is the part in question. ;p

And back ontopic: If you're not even capable of figuring out whether a given programming language is capable of making an MMO, then I'm highly doubtful that you've got the skills required to actually do it. Sorry, just being honest. ;p

And, with the hundreds of absolute beginners asking about making MMO's...It makes you seem extremely ignorant asking. ;p

I know you probably had good intentions in making this topic, so don't take it harsh. ;)

Also, with all seriousness...Marauder's probably one of the most qualified ones regarding the making of an MMO here...His first large project was more or less one. I recall playing his MUD on several computers at once, grinding levels by killing tons of bob the builders. :lol:
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
eatcomics wrote::shock: Wow this topic is messed up, what is wrong with people, they should know how difficult it is to make games... OMG this reminds me of a story,

Ok so I'm like walkin to class, mkay? Then my friend comes up and goes "Hey I know what job I'm getting after highschool!" so I'm all alright, enlighten me puny mortal... and he goes "I wanna be a game tester!" so I responded "Micheal game testers don't make very much money....".... That was the end of the conversation, or so I thought.

The next day he comes back and says they make like 7 - 10 dollars an hour!... that isn't too much unless you know you're maybe in highschool or going to college or something..... but he thinks that it's the perfect job... and I was like, well unless you're a professional game player you aren't going to paly any good games... or you know you won't get a job because most small companies have developers test them. Then he said "Well I think game tester would be a good job for when I become a game designer, I can get ideas from it." Of course I had to say something "Micheal how are you going to be a game designer if you don't even know how games are made or work, or even having a slight way of getting into the business?" that was the end of that discussion............................

thank yuou, thank you... :lol:

I know that it isn't impossible to take this route, but this kid just doesn't understand technology in general.... I maen I've tried to steer him the right way but he doesn't listen...
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I was just about to get away with noone thinking I didn't know what I was talking about!
CC Ricers
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by CC Ricers »

I was going to be the first one to answer this topic this morning, but other things came up...
Now I'm reading the monster the topic has become and for a while I am hoping that Levio91 is being serious- half expecting that he had some good experience with another programming language and just getting into C#. Now after showing his temperature converter I can't tell if we've been tricked and he is joking.
Chaos Clown
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Chaos Clown »

Levio91 wrote:You guys have obviously forgot about my c# skills I made this program

[img]http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp17 ... cp.jpg[img]
Please be sarcasm, please be sarcasm, please be sarcasm.

If you ARE serious: Pretty much what everyone else has said. I'ts really not a good idea trying to make an MMO at your current level. You'd only get demoralised and give up, even before you got anything resembling an RPG.

Also, why would you even want to make an MMO? Pretty much every single one I've played has been terrible. I just don't see the appeal. You do the same thing over and over again to increase some number, which then makes you do another thing over and over to increase the same number, only more slowly this time. And then when you can't get the number any higher, what do you do? There's no ending, no sense of fulfillment, no reward for all of your "hard work".

Unless you can actually make an MMO, and can make one without all of the crappy grinding, etc. Then don't bother.
[/rant]
¡Sí! ¡He dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti!
~El Pollo Diablo
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

Chaos Clown wrote: Also, why would you even want to make an MMO? Pretty much every single one I've played has been terrible. I just don't see the appeal.
It's gaming fastfood for a hungry generation...

I hate MMO's, it's all people talk about in my computing class.

constant 'WoW this' and 'Guild Wars That', I played an MMO once(a long time a go, in a far off galaxy...clue much? :lol: ), and really got into it, but then they changed it, and it sucked, which helped me realise that MMOs are actually complete ASS!

I would also like to point out that I sort of used it as a way of forgetting things when things got tough, and I think thats what a lot of people do with games, instead of enjoying them casually and not getting too obsessed...

[/super rant]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
CC Ricers
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by CC Ricers »

Expanding on the idea that MMOs have gotten a lot of people hooked, it's mostly the interaction in its community that entices beginners to make an MMO game. Not only do they want the recognition of making a large, impressive game, they want to practically swim in it.

With a single player game (or a local multiplayer game), its creator will not be able to see the feedback for every single person that played the game. In an MMO game, all the players are potentially occupying the same persistent game world, and it's possible for the creator to jump into his game as an admin willy-nilly and admire the view of virtual inhabitants saying to himself "awesome, a lot of people are playing my game". And I guess it's this instant gratification that makes it more pleasing to beginners to attempt to create such a game.
sparda
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by sparda »

Attachments
thread_cat.jpg
thread_cat.jpg (30.75 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer