Rpg makers?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Aeolus
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Rpg makers?

Post by Aeolus »

Whats wrong with people that make a good game using a RPG maker? Why do people give them so much crap. Do they not understand that it does require a skill in scripting as well as an advance skill in the program itself. Yes, Any 12 year old can make a game using a RPG maker but it doesnt mean its going to be worth while to play.'

I just want your guys view on it because ive been messing around with a RPG maker for a few days and ive been working on my game which i recently stopped coding it in c++ and LUA because im going in the air force so ive been busy (i realize it would take months and months for a really good RPG) and im trying to decide to make a development thread here or not depending on the rep a RPG maker has.

But i am mainly making my RPG in RMXP because i have always had this game story in my head since i was 7 (im 18) and i just wanna play it. I can give a shit if other people play it.
Hyde from That 70's Show wrote:Woman are like muffins... Once you have a muffin you will do anything to have another muffin... And they know that.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Rpg makers?

Post by MarauderIIC »

Aeolus wrote:Whats wrong with people that make a good game using a RPG maker? Why do people give them so much crap. Do they not understand that it does require a skill in scripting as well as an advance skill in the program itself. Yes, Any 12 year old can make a game using a RPG maker but it doesnt mean its going to be worth while to play.'
Because every 12 year old that makes a game using RPG Maker says its worthwhile to play. If you can make a good RPG (the phrase "using RPG Maker" is optional here), great, and realize that you're rare.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Aeolus
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Aeolus »

The thing is im 13. So im ganna be pro!!! lol jk im 18 and i could care less if a game is made with RPG maker as long as it keeps my interest and makes me have the desire to beat it.
Hyde from That 70's Show wrote:Woman are like muffins... Once you have a muffin you will do anything to have another muffin... And they know that.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

We've had these discussions before, we don't hate RPG maker we hate how there are 5 billion quatrillion noob games out there (5 billion quatrillion was just to get the point that there a lot across :lol: ) It's difficult to find a good one. But rpg maker is a very powerful tool, I here xp is the best. Freakin noobs mess everything up, except programmed games ('cause they never finish them :lol: ) What ever floats your boat, but make sure your game is living up to your expectations!
Aeolus
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Aeolus »

Its getting there... I just started learning RMXP about.. 2 days ago. But mainly around 6-10 hours of using the program... About 3 hours a day.

I have about 4 maps done. Ill provide some screens.
First map i ever made in RMXP in about 5 minutes.
First map i ever made in RMXP in about 5 minutes.
first map.jpg (86.51 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
On the Plateau
On the Plateau
first map plateau.jpg (89.33 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
Inside the cave.
Inside the cave.
First map cave entrence.jpg (55.77 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
Due to the attachment limit i have to beam these last two images:

A ways into the cave... After fighting countless goblins and the goblin boss you reach the 2nd floor:

Title screen: Literally made in two minutes in Photoshop

i was going to upload a video i made of my custom script cinematic but... Hypercam fucked my shit up... Well turned the colors into different ones... Red to blue... blue to yellow.. Etc...
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

i've never tried RPG maker (so I have no valid reason to have an opinion, but hey ;) ), but I personally wouldnt use such a tool, it's got nothing to do with being a programming snob, I physically fnd it difficult to use these types of tools. I've had bad experiences in the past, I once tried a program called "the games factory", I followed all of the directions in the walkthrough for a basic game, and the bugger just wouldn't work!

I much prefer calling functions to clicking buttons (i'm talking about the game development, not the map editing or anything that benefits from a WYSIWYG perspective), in a nutshell, I prefer to code things, I don't like things to get in my way, if you get what I mean.

RPG maker is probably really good, if you can use it properly, afterall, it wouldn't be so widely used by hobbyists if it wasn't of any good use.

It's just not for me, do any other programmers share my opinions on these 'point and click game creation tools?'
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

These tools would be good for an artist that wants to test his material....
wearymemory
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by wearymemory »

programmerinprogress wrote:i've never tried RPG maker (so I have no valid reason to have an opinion, but hey ;) ), but I personally wouldnt use such a tool, it's got nothing to do with being a programming snob, I physically fnd it difficult to use these types of tools. I've had bad experiences in the past, I once tried a program called "the games factory", I followed all of the directions in the walkthrough for a basic game, and the bugger just wouldn't work!

I much prefer calling functions to clicking buttons (i'm talking about the game development, not the map editing or anything that benefits from a WYSIWYG perspective), in a nutshell, I prefer to code things, I don't like things to get in my way, if you get what I mean.

RPG maker is probably really good, if you can use it properly, afterall, it wouldn't be so widely used by hobbyists if it wasn't of any good use.

It's just not for me, do any other programmers share my opinions on these 'point and click game creation tools?'
I completely agree with you, and having used RPG Maker before, I found myself to be as eloquent as an epileptic retard locked in a small dark room with a strobe light on. Having read numerous tutorials on how to operate the damned thing, of course!

I wouldn't judge a game based on how it was made, but on its exceptional gameplay, and if it does not entertain the latter feature, then it's not a game worth playing. Honestly.

RPG Maker is a powerful tool, capable of making not just the average RPG, but so much more, possibly even what it wasn't even created to do. However, a game's exceptionalness stretches further than just to how it was made.
Aeolus
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Aeolus »

Yeah. I dont know, I have a nack for these programs. I haven't read 1 tutorial and i already figured out how to make a cinematic, and script professions which they have not even made a option for in the tool itself.
chrizZz
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by chrizZz »

the rpg maker xp is an easy and powerfull tool..everybody can make games with it but it also supports the scripting language ruby..i've seen impressive scripts for that like shadows, particle effects, ultra complex action combat systems etc. I've used it for a long time but up to that point i was interested in doing graphics but i finally realized i have no artistic skills at all and i decided to start learning programming.
1. it does feel better (you really believe that you have done something impressive even if it is just moving around a picture )
2. you can be just as creative as an grapic artist..it's just more of the technical aspect
3. learning a programming language is actual fun :)
4. i'm sorry my english sucks... :(

anyways..if you like doing graphics or having an interesting story you wanna show off in a game ? go grab the rpg maker xp ! but keep in mind that it is still a hell a lot of work :)

@Aeolus: if you make the dungeon floors smaller or draw more walls if you don't have enough objects to fill it, otherwise it might looks clean and empty ;)
oh and try to avoid making the maps too symetric that looks unnatural.
i wish you good luck with your project ! :)
Aeolus
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Aeolus »

chrizZz wrote:@Aeolus: if you make the dungeon floors smaller or draw more walls if you don't have enough objects to fill it, otherwise it might looks clean and empty ;)
oh and try to avoid making the maps too symetric that looks unnatural.
i wish you good luck with your project ! :)
Yeah those were just some first maps.

Current one im testing for my weather effect triggers:

chrizZz
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by chrizZz »

wow, that looks nice ! :)
Aeolus
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Aeolus »

Thanks. I told you i learn at a accelerated level. Compare my first post maps to that one. In 1 day. haha.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

When it is all said and done, RPG Maker is a great tool to get people in to game design, but it is no where near making your own game...
Nine times out of Ten someone gives up on their project and moves on to another one, or quits it completely (as with most game developers)
None of the content (unless you add your own) is made by the creator. All the code behind it is made for you, unless you delete everything in the scripts and start from scratch, it isn't your content, and even then it's still not yours.

So RPG Makers are good, but not if you really want to feel a sense of accomplishment, you should program something from scratch. :)
There's no place like ~/
Spikey
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Spikey »

In 1999 I first discovered RPG Maker 95, back then I had hardly any programming experience and RPG Makers were awesome at the time because I could make simple games. I wanted to make games, but there's only so much you can do with Makers. I wanted to make more complex games, and moved on from the makers. Although time from time I will check up on the makers community to see how its going, (Or looking for ripped resources... ;) ) I'm primarily focused on developing my skills further. As such, I'm currently in a group making a 3D side scroller with c++ and opengl.

Another thing about Makers is, it's illegal to sell your games.
I've played alot of rpg maker games, and most are crap, and I'm kinda of sick of looking at the same "cookie cutter" style games. I have played a few rare gems that shined, but thats like finding gold. RPG Makers will always have a spot in my heart, but I've moved on.

Metaphorically, to me, RPG Maker engine is like a bicycle with training wheels. Why ride a bike when you can drive a sports car?... or something like that.