Rpg makers?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Rpg makers?

Post by LeonBlade »

Lmao RPG Maker 95 was an epoch phail if I ever saw one...
It's sad that they decided to make XP and VX cost money, but I just illegally downloaded it... uhh... I mean... I bought it anyway :|

RPG Maker 95 was fail...
RM2k was better
RM2k3 was EPOCH WIN!
RPG Maker XP was... better a little
RPG Maker VX was... better a little

Personally, I thought RM2k3 was bad ass, I liked the RM2k tilesets better though, but the side battle system was awesome!
And you can sell your game as long as you make sure to give full credit to Enterbrain for everything...

There are lots of EPOCH PHAIL games out for RPG Maker, but there was one for RM2k that was EPOCH WIN times infinity Legendary Adventure...
http://files.filefront.com/Legendary+Ad ... einfo.html

Not the best, but defiantly one of them...
There's no place like ~/
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

In response to the first post:

I've never given anybody shit just because they use RPG maker. Ironically, Peter actually made us some ridiculously quick tools in RPG maker, such as a tile ripper, map disassembler, and a couple other random odds and ends...

What I have given people shit for, however, is claiming to be a programmer and having 'massive skill' because of RPG maker. A vast majority of users are little kids who find their way onto game creation forums, then begin to bash how long it takes developers to create something whereas they can get a game up in RPG maker in minutes. THAT'S where I get the problem, and from that comes the negative connotation RPG Maker leaves in game development communities.

In actuality, it is a pretty powerful tool, and if you're in game development for the game design aspects more than the creation, then I'd recommend it to anybody.

As for your game, great job and looks good. If I get time, I'll give it a go (when you finish it, of course). Once again, good luck!
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
M_D_K
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by M_D_K »

Arce wrote:In response to the first post:

I've never given anybody shit just because they use RPG maker. Ironically, Peter actually made us some ridiculously quick tools in RPG maker, such as a tile ripper, map disassembler, and a couple other random odds and ends...

What I have given people shit for, however, is claiming to be a programmer and having 'massive skill' because of RPG maker. A vast majority of users are little kids who find their way onto game creation forums, then begin to bash how long it takes developers to create something whereas they can get a game up in RPG maker in minutes. THAT'S where I get the problem, and from that comes the negative connotation RPG Maker leaves in game development communities.

In actuality, it is a pretty powerful tool, and if you're in game development for the game design aspects more than the creation, then I'd recommend it to anybody.

As for your game, great job and looks good. If I get time, I'll give it a go (when you finish it, of course). Once again, good luck!
Yeah those little brats annoy me.
My view on RPG Maker has changed abit since I first heard of it. Back in the day before my programming years I played around with RPG Maker, I never got to the scripting since I couldn't program. Back then I thought it was cool and looked powerful. Now I still think its cool and is powerful but I look at it more as a prototyping tool more than anything else. I'd probably use it to test out ideas before coding them into an engine, but thats just me. I'm not dissing it or saying its not a real development tool, thats just my view on it. As Aeolus has showed RPG maker is very powerful(that looks sweeet ;) ) the extra e is for emphasis :)
Gyro Sheen wrote:you pour their inventory onto my life
IRC wrote: <sparda> The routine had a stack overflow, sorry.
<sparda> Apparently the stack was full of shit.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

Yeah, I agree, there are SO many people that think what they do with RPG Maker is programming...
If you use the script editor, yes that is, but everything else NO!

I have to explain this to people a lot...
There's no place like ~/
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

I used Game Maker and looked into getting RPG Maker (didn't in the end) when I was 10 and thought learning to program wasn't worthwhile. I've just started now and how wrong I was. You get a better feeling when you spend countless hours on a game that would have taken minutes in Game Maker or RPG Maker.
I'll make your software hardware.