SDL or Allegro?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: SDL or Allegro?

Post by eatcomics »

sparda wrote:SDL sluts! 8-)
lol, I havn't used either officially, I've dabbled in both secret arts, but my money would be on sdl, that's what I think I will end up using...
BOMBERMAN
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by BOMBERMAN »

If you are going to use OpenGL too, my vote is for SDL.
Else, I think both are good so I can't say in this case
My english sucks!
Jazonxyz
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Jazonxyz »

SDL, hands down.

Its more flexible.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

I say SDL, but I am trying to learn SFML right now, to see how much of a difference there is... I'll give you my opinion in the SDL/SFML debate later. ;)
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

I would say SDL, because it's more powerful and teaches you much better programming practice.

Also, especially because you're planning on using openGL; SDL has a wrapper for openGL. meaning you can use the non-graphical features of SDL with the powerful graphics provided by openGL.

And as someone here once said (can't remember who), "It's better to dive in at the deep end, than dive in at the shallow end and hit your head on the bottom."

That's just my two pennies' worth.
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Ginto8 »

To actually give my opinion on the SDL/SFML debate, I'll tell you what I call SFML now: Stupid French Media Layer. It DOES NOT LIKE ME. SDL does. ;) :lol: :mrgreen:
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
aerosmithfan4ever
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by aerosmithfan4ever »

SDL definetly. I used Allegro before, but... :evil:
There is no signature.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

Allegro is a bit easier, but if you intend to use OpenGL, I'd suggest SDL.
Or you could play with both, it's not too hard to change between. My main hang-up is how Allegro has an easy text rendering function, and with SDL it's more of a pain.

SDL does support multithreading, though, and has additional libraries for socket stuff.

Oh, and there are more resources out there for learning SDL, I believe.
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

Allegro or SDL? -> SFML ;)
sparda
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by sparda »

Here we go again. Ok ok, I'll admit it, SFML sucks ballz. SDL does own for the reason Lusikka pointed out. Allegro is pretty sweet though, so I'd advice learning both SDL and Allegro; they are not hard pic up simultaneously.
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

Maybe you should just try all these libraries and choose the one that gives you the best impression.

Take the time to go through some tutorials, that should help to make a decision.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Ginto8 »

For all those out there about to try out SFML, I'd like to kindly point out that it cannot count as an API. The amount of crap that they do for you is so insanely large that it is more of a graphics engine. :( Also, I found that SFML does not seem to work for me, though that may just be because of the fact that, when I was foolish enough to use SFML, I had little to no clue as to how I should structure a program (see my rank ;) I am working on redeeming myself). SFML may be the right thing for you, but you cannot truly compare it to SDL. SDL is a window/graphics API. SFML is a window/graphics engine. Keep that in mind when making your choice. ;)
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

Ginto8 wrote:For all those out there about to try out SFML, I'd like to kindly point out that it cannot count as an API. The amount of crap that they do for you is so insanely large that it is more of a graphics engine. :( Also, I found that SFML does not seem to work for me, though that may just be because of the fact that, when I was foolish enough to use SFML, I had little to no clue as to how I should structure a program (see my rank ;) I am working on redeeming myself). SFML may be the right thing for you, but you cannot truly compare it to SDL. SDL is a window/graphics API. SFML is a window/graphics engine. Keep that in mind when making your choice. ;)
Well, than you should define what the difference between an engine and an API is first. It might be that SFML is a bit more high level than SDL, but you still have full control of your program, so you are not limited in any way.

However, this is not a SFML vs. SDL thread. I just wanted to point out that there is more than SDL and Allegro.
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

K-Bal wrote: this is not a SFML vs. SDL thread.
Then why did toy bring it up
K-Bal wrote:Allegro or SDL? -> SFML ;)
:lol:

I personally like SDL after trying both allegro and SDL, but I think that's mainly because I used SDL before Allegro, so I understand it a little better.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

programmerinprogress wrote:
K-Bal wrote: this is not a SFML vs. SDL thread.
Then why did toy bring it up
K-Bal wrote:Allegro or SDL? -> SFML ;)
You are quoting me out of context. As I said before, I just wanted to point out that there is more than SDL and Allegro.