Do you think Sega will ever release a new system?

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

Do you think Sega will ever release a new Console?

Yes they will.
86%
No they will not.
14%

Total votes: 7

Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Do you think Sega will ever release a new system?

Post by Marx Chaotix »

Just a thought that struck me. Anybody think they ever will? I personally think they will eventually. They kinda have made a bit of a comeback by releasing some pretty good games recently like Sonic Chronicles and Sonic Unleashed. If they do, I bet it won't be for a while.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Do you think Sega will ever release a new system?

Post by Falco Girgis »

Sega is and always has been releasing new hardware. They are king of the arcade. Even after the death of the Dreamcast, it lived on in the Naomi and Naomi 2 (basically a Dreamcast on steroids. It was capable of things that even GC and Xbox would have had trouble with). Sega has newer arcade hardware that is up on par with the PS3 and 360. Look into the Lindenburg (spelling?).
cronjob00
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by cronjob00 »

yeah when I went to japan they own the arcades there all the arcade machines are sega. I think the hard thing is trying to compete with Microsoft and sony not on the hardware part I have no doubt that they could make a system as good as the others but I think as far as marketing goes they don't have the type of money to throw at marketing that Microsoft or sony or even Nintendo has. The amount of money that sony and Microsoft throw at advertising there systems is insane. I think sega likes were they are cause they are making money might not be worth the risk to enter the home console system.
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

GyroVorbis wrote:Sega is and always has been releasing new hardware. They are king of the arcade. Even after the death of the Dreamcast, it lived on in the Naomi and Naomi 2 (basically a Dreamcast on steroids. It was capable of things that even GC and Xbox would have had trouble with). Sega has newer arcade hardware that is up on par with the PS3 and 360. Look into the Lindenburg (spelling?).
Yeah, that's true. They are the number one producer of arcades throughout the globe. I don't think they will release a console this generation, but I bet they might next gen. I'll be on the lookout for any signs of a new console.
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

GyroVorbis wrote:Sega is and always has been releasing new hardware. They are king of the arcade. Even after the death of the Dreamcast, it lived on in the Naomi and Naomi 2 (basically a Dreamcast on steroids. It was capable of things that even GC and Xbox would have had trouble with). Sega has newer arcade hardware that is up on par with the PS3 and 360. Look into the Lindenburg (spelling?).
cronjob00 wrote:yeah when I went to japan they own the arcades there all the arcade machines are sega. I think the hard thing is trying to compete with Microsoft and sony not on the hardware part I have no doubt that they could make a system as good as the others but I think as far as marketing goes they don't have the type of money to throw at marketing that Microsoft or sony or even Nintendo has. The amount of money that sony and Microsoft throw at advertising there systems is insane. I think sega likes were they are cause they are making money might not be worth the risk to enter the home console system.
What these guys said.

I've been a huge Sega supporter since I was a kid. I always knew Sega was still doing good in the arcades but I had not clue. I went with my ex and lived in Japan for three months, SEGA MACHINES WERE EVERYWHERE. I got to play some of the coolest arcade games you would never imagine. That's where I fell in love with my true love... The Gundam Simulator...

I still have my id and keycard, that way if I ever run into one of those machines again I can keep all my stats... I will own one of those machines one day... I swear it...
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Andy K. wrote:
cronjob00 wrote:yeah when I went to japan they own the arcades there all the arcade machines are sega. I think the hard thing is trying to compete with Microsoft and sony not on the hardware part I have no doubt that they could make a system as good as the others but I think as far as marketing goes they don't have the type of money to throw at marketing that Microsoft or sony or even Nintendo has. The amount of money that sony and Microsoft throw at advertising there systems is insane. I think sega likes were they are cause they are making money might not be worth the risk to enter the home console system.
What these guys said.

I've been a huge Sega supporter since I was a kid. I always knew Sega was still doing good in the arcades but I had not clue. I went with my ex and lived in Japan for three months, SEGA MACHINES WERE EVERYWHERE. I got to play some of the coolest arcade games you would never imagine. That's where I fell in love with my true love... The Gundam Simulator...

I still have my id and keycard, that way if I ever run into one of those machines again I can keep all my stats... I will own one of those machines one day... I swear it...
I hope you get it sounds awesome... If you do I may go live with you :mrgreen: :lol:
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

Personally, I would love to see it. (Plus, my wife would be thrilled, and I know I'd get some that night.)

When Sega announced that they would no longer be developing consoles, they mentioned that publishing games proved to be much more profitable for them. Game manufacturers have always lost money on consoles - it's known as the Gillette Razor Blade Theory. Gillette doesn't make any money on the razors (consoles), they make it on the blades (games).

Soooo...since Sega isn't quite the financial powerhouse as Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft, I'd be surprised if they took that leap again.

But again, I'd friggin' love a new Sega console!
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

trufun202 wrote:But again, I'd friggin' love a new Sega console!

SEGA "MERCURY" IN 2012! :lol: *high fives*
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

As much as I\'d like a new Sega console, I don\'t think they will get back into it. The money is in the software, not the hardware(shutup, Nintendo) and Sega hasn\'t been coming out with AAA titles, so I don\'t think they have a surplus around to make a new console and advertise it enough to compete in today\'s market. But hey, people were ready for Nintendo to call it quits with hardware after the Gamecube was so vastly ignored and now they are swimming in it.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."