Strike a blow for the indie scene!

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Strike a blow for the indie scene!

Post by avansc »

^ Just to let you know, there are many RPG's that aren't cookie cutters. When NWN came out it was something totally new. When Diablo 3 comes out, I believe that it will be something complete different, yet stay close to what made it good.

No one is saying the game wont be good, just that its not something new.
It also does not really matter if the game is good or not. Nintendo releases shitty games all the time.
They just care if it can sell.

It's like this.

Does not matter how good the pie tastes, if the cook does not was his nasty hand that you saw him scratch his nuts with you are not gonna take a bit.

Do I need to explain how this analogy fits into our little story?
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

mllarson wrote:
avansc wrote:...at a job paying lets say $35 an hour...
Where do you work? $35 an hour!? I'm clearly in the wrong line of work... :lol:
thats about 60K a year. for 5 years ago thats a very conservative estimate for what a job in the IT field would pay.
being with a company for 5 years would probably result in you making 100K a year.

also depending which country one works in, you could end up making 40K n month. (in a project lead position)
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

mllarson wrote:Fine, then... strike a blow for the indie scene by buying Cave Story Wii when it comes out.
http://tigsource.com/articles/2008/10/1 ... nd-trailer
No shit, faggot. Bob's Game is no Cave Story, though.
mllarson wrote:
Andy K. wrote: Unlike Bob's Game, which seems to be a REHASHED RPG SYSTEM WITH STOCK CHARACTERS.
Rehashed... stock characters... you just described nearly every RPG ever made...
No shit, faggot. I never said anything about it not being a normal RPG.
mllarson wrote: So by that virtue, Falco, Marcel, Peter, Marauder, etc.'s game is even less of a big deal? I mean, if one guy doing it isn't such a big deal, then you are indirectly putting every game dev team down a level. Also, you are putting trufun down as well. He's making an RPG by himself. Maybe you should tell him how his game is not such a big deal either?
No shit, faggot. I never said their game was a big deal. I said they put in mechanics that made it UNIQUE . Also, they are developing for a system they believe in, which is the Dreamcast. Which is awesome. ALSO, They only spent a year on it, so you're right it is nothing special... It's UNIQUE.

I don't know why you're being so militant about this topic. I told you that 20 hours of game play is nothing to snort at. All I said was it wasn't a FUCKING BLOW FOR THE INDIE SCENE. Mother of fuck, one guy making an RPG is NOT A BIG FUCKING DEAL. There is a terrible RPG out on the market right now called, Laxius Force which has 80+ HOURS OF GAMEPLAY. (that's a bigger number than 20 btw), But it's just fucking terrible.

SO SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU FUCKING MILITANT FAGGOT, NOBODY IS FIGHTING YOU. YOU CAN ROOT FOR WHOMEVER YOU WANT, BUT DON'T DRAG OTHERS INTO YOUR COCKDOM IF THEY DO NOT WANT TO THINK THE SAME WAY YOU DO. Jesus Christ.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

Ohh Laxius Force.

Have I mentioned how much I hate the Aveyond people and Hanako Games?
Awful awful, they need to be falcon punched in the stomach so they cannot have babies*

Though I guess this is a thread about Bob's game.

I would just like to see a more stylized approach. Sometimes it's not always best to have the same person do everything. Yeah... http://moosader.com/songCowTippin.wav. How old is that boy, anyway?

* The statements of LusikkaMage do not represent the view of Moosader Games. Plz no sueing.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Whoa, Andy, cool it. This is a forum, you have the time to put thought into your posts and therefore crush someone with logical arguments while avoiding name-calling. Please use it.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

MarauderIIC wrote:Whoa, Andy, cool it. This is a forum, you have the time to put thought into your posts and therefore crush someone with logical arguments while avoiding name-calling. Please use it.
Sorry =( I got kinda worked up. I just do not enjoy people who force others to think the way they think. Not matter what you say the dude is going to disagree. =\ I'll calm down.
mllarson
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Location: Minnesota, where "Cold as Hell" has real meaning...

Post by mllarson »

Andy K. wrote:
MarauderIIC wrote:Whoa, Andy, cool it. This is a forum, you have the time to put thought into your posts and therefore crush someone with logical arguments while avoiding name-calling. Please use it.
Sorry =( I got kinda worked up. I just do not enjoy people who force others to think the way they think. Not matter what you say the dude is going to disagree.
Yet when someone has a different view than your own, you start throwing around the word "faggot" and bolding every other word? Seriously Andy, if you get this worked up over a simple forum thread, you have a lot of heart attacks in your future. No need for name calling and personal attacks just because someone has a differing opinion than yours. Differing opinions are the nature of human beings. You have to learn that is a fact of life and not blow up at every person that doesn't think the way you do.
Andy K. wrote: SO SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU FUCKING MILITANT FAGGOT, NOBODY IS FIGHTING YOU. YOU CAN ROOT FOR WHOMEVER YOU WANT, BUT DON'T DRAG OTHERS INTO YOUR COCKDOM IF THEY DO NOT WANT TO THINK THE SAME WAY YOU DO. Jesus Christ.
Nobody is fighting me? It seems that there is someone fighting me: you. I don't know why you feel that you have to call me a "FUCKING MILITANT FAGGOT" just because your opinion and mine don't match up, but I honestly and sincerely hope that you don't talk this way to actual people around you. I did not once call you a derogatory name, not ever. I simply expressed my views about your comments, as did you to mine. Yet the only one getting very irate here is you. To disagree with an opinion is one thing; to call people names is just childish. I welcome your input but don't let it degenerate into playground name calling please. This forum deserves better than that.
"Mmmm... these paint chips are scrumptious!"
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

mllarson wrote:
Andy K. wrote:
Sorry =( I got kinda worked up. I just do not enjoy people who force others to think the way they think. Not matter what you say the dude is going to disagree.
Yet when someone has a different view than your own, you start throwing around the word "faggot" and bolding every other word? Seriously Andy, if you get this worked up over a simple forum thread, you have a lot of heart attacks in your future. No need for name calling and personal attacks just because someone has a differing opinion than yours. Differing opinions are the nature of human beings. You have to learn that is a fact of life and not blow up at every person that doesn't think the way you do.
Andy K. wrote: SO SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU FUCKING MILITANT FAGGOT, NOBODY IS FIGHTING YOU. YOU CAN ROOT FOR WHOMEVER YOU WANT, BUT DON'T DRAG OTHERS INTO YOUR COCKDOM IF THEY DO NOT WANT TO THINK THE SAME WAY YOU DO. Jesus Christ.
Nobody is fighting me? It seems that there is someone fighting me: you. I don't know why you feel that you have to call me a "FUCKING MILITANT FAGGOT" just because your opinion and mine don't match up, but I honestly and sincerely hope that you don't talk this way to actual people around you. I did not once call you a derogatory name, not ever. I simply expressed my views about your comments, as did you to mine. Yet the only one getting very irate here is you. To disagree with an opinion is one thing; to call people names is just childish. I welcome your input but don't let it degenerate into playground name calling please. This forum deserves better than that.
Meh, get over yourself buddy. :lol: I'm done with this thread. I was just worked up because you were trying to force your opinion of Bob's Game onto others, when others are obviously smart enough to see that Bob's Game is not a big deal. So before more internet drama ensues I shall apologize and respectfully withdraw my opinion from this thread *tips cap* Good day.

To be honest, I'm just used to tigsource where you have to make your point by inflammatory remarks whilst keeping the composure of a gentleperson, I suppose. :lol: Sorry.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

i was laying in bed last night and this thought just came to me.

i would be imbarrased if i took 5 years to make a game like that.

my dad hand built an aircraft from scratch, in 2 years, while maintaining a 9 to 5 job. (network analyst and IBM)

so yeah. i think that its actually imbarrasing to mention it took him 5 years to complete.

if anyone is interested in what kinda plane it was .. http://www.sonexaircraft.com/aircraft/waiex.html
mllarson
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by mllarson »

You're right, though. Five years is a damn long time to dedicate to just one thing.
teamtwentythree
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by teamtwentythree »

I don't think he should be embarrassed to have spent so much time on the game.

He mentioned he was learning as he went, and hes doing all of the work himself. In order to get a complete polished game that sounds about right given the genre he's targetting.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

teamtwentythree wrote:I don't think he should be embarrassed to have spent so much time on the game.

He mentioned he was learning as he went, and hes doing all of the work himself. In order to get a complete polished game that sounds about right given the genre he's targetting.
my dad had never build an airplane, he did everything himself. (there is over 5 GB of photos of every step of the way)
it was a learning experience for him to..

i think that 5 years is way to long for a game like that.

baring graphics, music, and story. (i know thats a lot of it)
so just the engine. that should not take any longer that 2 months. for a single person.
that game should be a year project.

now i dont know if he has school and other responsibilities. i mean if he could only spend 5 hours a day on it, then yeah. its gonna take longer.
i think that bugmenot is in the gaming industry i guess he can give a better input on how long it should take.
teamtwentythree
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by teamtwentythree »

Well I guess compare it to some other DS games.

New Super Mario Bros. Its been a while since I played it, but there wasn't a whole lot going on there that the engine should be significant, and the game wasn't that long.

First trailer I can find is Sept 9th, 2004. Released May 19th 2006.

As for the team:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/data/920787.html

Thats somewhere around 60 people * 1.5 years at least (Didn't count em up, but rough guess), so 90 person years. Lets assume they were working on other stuff an only worked on it 25% of their time, thats ~22 person years. I think thats pretty generous. And there are all suppoesd professionals.

This is all just supposition until the game actually comes out and we can find out if his "retail" description is correct or BS. But my point is more to say its not embarassing to spend 5 years on a project. Although I personally wouldn't want to devote that much time to a solo project.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

first off thats a very poor comment to make. most game studios work on a number of titles at once. so they might take 2 years to make a game but they make 5 games in that time.

ps: back when it was the console golden era they were making good games in 6 months.

i stand by my opinion that to take 5 years to make a Zelda type game in this day and age is embarrassing.

he claims that he has more that 15000 man hours into the game. so lets see. lets break it up into equal chunks.

-he says he has 200 unique chars. and lets say there are an extra 800 sprites, which i doubt. so 1000 pieces of art.

-lets say about 2 hours of audio

-20 hours of story

-10000 lines of code.

15000/4 = 3750 hours per piece.
-----------------
3750/1000 = 3.75 hours for one piece of art.

3750/2 = 1875 hours to make 1 hour of audio

3750/20 = 187.5 hours to come up with 1 hour of gameplay.

10000/3750 = just under 3 lines of code an hour....

so as you can see those times are embarrassing. note that im not saying this is how the times was spent, just a illustration that 5 years is way to long.
im not taking anything from the achievement as a game, just saying he is not breaking any land speed records.
mllarson
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by mllarson »

He technically didn't have anything else to do during that time. He shut himself in his apartment those five years and lived off of Apple stock and blood donations! I learned these things by listening to his interview on the WiiDS podcast.

EDIT:
Apparently he's updated his site on his solitary progress. You guys are right, he does have a bit of an ego / attitude problem.... Now it's just a matter of time to see whether he flies high or crashes and burns.