r

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

erikgustaf
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

r

Post by erikgustaf »

s
Last edited by erikgustaf on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dr. House
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Game project looking for programmers

Post by Dr. House »

So... can we see some credentials or anything to show that you aren't just another ignorant 12 year-old?
Everybody Lies.
erikgustaf
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by erikgustaf »

I dont have any credentials??

And why do you think im 12 years old...?
If you dont trust me, have a conversation with me and lets see if im 12 years old or not
Im 23
Dr. House
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by Dr. House »

This isn't about determining the size of your e-penis. You're at a development forum with serious developers. We get these kinds of posts all of the time, and we usually laugh at them.

So why is this any different? You have given us no real information about the project other than "OMG IT WILL BE TEH 1337 3D FPS AND IT WILL BE AWESOME."

It sounds rather unrealistic. Do you have any real direction, or are you recruiting random people and hoping for the best? Do you understand how hard it is for us to take a post like this seriously? As for credentials, what have your previous programming feets been? Have you ever developed a game? Do you really understand the scale and magnitude of what you are trying to accomplish here?
Everybody Lies.
erikgustaf
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by erikgustaf »

Ok, i should post that but as written, i told that deep info comes if you PM me, ive already taken this with the other members in the project
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

erikgustaf wrote:Ok, i should post that but as written, i told that deep info comes if you PM me, ive already taken this with the other members in the project

Dr House is simply asking for a some basic credentials, some background on the project, the skills your team posses, basic stuff really.

If you want people to take you seriously, you have to tell why you need us, this will allows us to assess whether we wish to be part of the project, it also stops us from wasting your time, so it's the best for us all.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
erikgustaf
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by erikgustaf »

programmerinprogress wrote:
erikgustaf wrote:Ok, i should post that but as written, i told that deep info comes if you PM me, ive already taken this with the other members in the project

Dr House is simply asking for a some basic credentials, some background on the project, the skills your team posses, basic stuff really.

If you want people to take you seriously, you have to tell why you need us, this will allows us to assess whether we wish to be part of the project, it also stops us from wasting your time, so it's the best for us all.
Okay, thanks for that.
Well, we have just started but i can see if i can find a picture of our custom made weapons somewhere, tommorow or something i will ask him to send some pictures to me (if hes online)

I dont know how to explain, but basically you just need to write the engine because we have no other programmers, only 1
Everything is perfect, we have sound, cinematics,character modeling,vehicle modeling, effects, everything except programmers and sketches
Dr. House
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by Dr. House »

Basically everything is perfect except for the fact that you have no way of making this game.

Good luck.
Everybody Lies.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

If you want a 3D engine for an FPS, and you're short on programmers, have you considered a pre-built solution like Torque?
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

trufun202 wrote:If you want a 3D engine for an FPS, and you're short on programmers, have you considered a pre-built solution like Torque?
That's what I would recommend. Programming is the main part of game development. Without a programmer, your game really won't exist. While it's possible that you will find a programmer who is willing to do some work for you, it's unrealistic to want somebody to make an entire engine for a game with a bunch of artists and modelers who know nothing about programming.
erikgustaf
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by erikgustaf »

We will write the engine ourselves in c++, we already have 1 and he is writing it right now but we need more, writing in DirectX 9
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

erikgustaf wrote:We will write the engine ourselves in c++, we already have 1 and he is writing it right now but we need more, writing in DirectX 9

See that is quite a specific request, there's knowing how to program, then there's knowing how to use the DX libraries to write an engine from scratch, A minor suggestion I have is to put these requests in your original post.

It's not for me to say whether what you're requesting is feasible, it's your project (and I wish you luck if it is indeed feasible), all i'm saying is you do really need to post specifics (as you have in the last few posts), from the perspective of a programmer, I can tell you that it's difficult to judge whether such a task is complementary to my skillset, and this is very important because if I was considering such a project, I would say to myself "I don't know how to use [insert requirement], I can't take the job" being specific will save you so much time in the long run, it will also allow people to consider your offer, and take your cause seriously.

I hoped this waffling on was of some help ;)
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

Oh wow, I didn't know what Falco meant by "Does he have a request in our Game Development forum" until now.

Yeah this happens all the time. Kids, and even some adults sometime request people to make the game. Besides you, Erik. You are the "owner" and "Boss" but what can you do other than being the slave driver?
erikgustaf
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by erikgustaf »

My skills: Experienced MySQL, Including Microsoft SQL Server, SQLite etc.
Experienced in lua programming language most used for AI.
Experienced in html,php and 3d
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

How does one gain experience in "3D"?

And your Lua experience won't help much, because you have to implement Lua into the engine to even be able to use it.